Talking Point: Are You Upgrading Your Television in Preparation for PS4?

Different device, different display

Resolution has been the most popular point of video game discourse over the past few days. With the expiration of several next generation embargoes, pivotal multiplatform products such as Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 have been compared and contrasted across various consoles. But with the PlayStation 4 commanding a generous advantage over its closest competitors, are you considering upgrading your television in preparation for the next generation machine?

Despite the promise of a true high-definition device during the dark days of 2006, the PlayStation 3 never quite lived up to its pledge of 1080p. There were a handful of titles that attained the lofty resolution – Gran Turismo 5 and WipEout HD immediately spring to mind – but the chunk of the console’s catalogue settled for 720p. In fact, even those outings were often a rarity, with the likes of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV slipping lower still.

The first thing that you’ll notice about the PS4 is how clean everything looks, though. Knack may not be pushing the hardware to its limits, but there’s a crystal clear clarity to its image quality that elevates it above most blurry current generation escapades. The same is true of much more graphically impressive titles such as Killzone: Shadow Fall, with the sharp image quality giving the game’s sublime textures and spectacular on-screen effects a noticeable lift.

This is the consequence of native 1080p output. Earlier in the week we pondered whether format face-offs really matter, and we still stand by our statement that few play games under test lab conditions. However, the proliferating viewpoint that it’s impossible to see resolution differences with the naked eye is misleading, as our Call of Duty: Ghosts console comparison should have already proved.

Of course, it all depends on the state of your audiovisual equipment. While television manufacturers have been working with 1080p for some time now, there’s a good chance that if you haven’t upgraded your panel since the start of the generation that you may be stuck with a set only capable of producing pictures in interlaced 1080i or 720p. That’s going to impede the improvements that you’ll see with Sony’s new machine.

Depending on your image quality tolerance, it’s not the end of the world. While resolution is a pivotal part of the next generation experience, it’s not the only improvement that the new hardware will bring. Guerrilla Games’ aforementioned first-party launch title, for example, is pushing the futuristic format in a number of different ways, and elements such as lighting enhancements and improved particle effects will be noticeable even on older displays.

However, there’s no doubt that your experience will be significantly superior on a newer display. It can be difficult to commit to that plunge, though, with technology stagnating somewhat over the past five years. While the introduction of the PS3 ushered in a new era of image clarity – along with formats such as Blu-ray – endeavours such as 3D and the burgeoning 4K have yet to really invigorate the market as much as electronics manufacturers may like.

Despite pushing the added dimension hard on its current generation console, 3D feels like a bit of an afterthought on the Japanese giant’s impending platform. The system will support it, but outside of the recently announced Trine 2: Complete Story, very few developers have actually decided to adopt the depth enhancing format. And with 4K demanding horsepower above and beyond the components concealed within the PS4’s chassis, you probably shouldn’t expect to be playing Uncharted 4 in the ultra-sharp output either.

That means that the very idea of upgrading your already perfectly serviceable television set may seem like an unnecessary expense for many of you. However, with the PS4 offering sharper visuals all around, it’s not unreasonable to want the very best image quality at launch. The big question is: are you willing to stump up the additional cash required to overhaul your experience, or are you satisfied with your existing setup?

Are you planning to purchase a new television in preparation for the PS4? Have you recently upgraded your set, or are you happy with the display that you’ve already got? Increase your volume in the comments section and poll below.

Are you upgrading your television in preparation for the PS4? (60 votes)

Too late, I already bought a new set in anticipation not long ago

22%

I’m planning to upgrade, but I’m waiting for some seasonal sales

10%

I haven’t really decided whether I want to spend the money yet

I’d like to upgrade, but I’m not sure I can afford to at the moment

18%

I’m happy with the television I’ve got, even if it's not brand new

50%

Please login to vote in this poll.

WCamicase

WCamicase said:

Well I have an HDTV for a long time now, it can go 1080p so I don't really need to upgrade LOL

@WCamicase Yeah, I think that's the problem that manufacturers are facing. If you've already purchased a television fairly recently, there's no real reason to upgrade other than perhaps better response times and maybe to get a bigger panel.

Personally, I've had my TV for about five years now, so while I don't necessarily need to, I want to in order to get a bigger panel. I'm absolutely not motivated by 3D or 4K at all, though.

MANTAGTJ001

MANTAGTJ001 said:

3D 27" PC SCREEN/HDMI HDTV 10 month old AND I just updated my internet too from 10Mbps to 40Mbps due to digital content.. .. in the UK Internet is terrible compared to our U.S. Buddies and that was purely cus of PS4....;D

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I have a 32 inch HD TV that runs 1080p and a HD projector so no I'm not upgrading my TV

as for 3D well i'm blind in one eye so I can't see it so to me it's pointless

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@WCamicase mhm, mine's a 37" 1080p from 2007, which seems like a lot of hours, but it's doing fine (even after Netflix almost burned its menu into it forever). 37" is a good size for the resolutions on PS3/4 from across a small room. The next tv I buy will definitely be a gigantic 4k 3d mofo, but it'll take me another 7 years to save enough lol. No, I like my current tv. I can push it right into the wall, just like Michael Scott!

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

I have a 1080p LCD tv that's a bit older, but I don't see a need to upgrade. People say I need an led but there are more important expenses for me right now...

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I've had my 32" Samsung for about four years or so, and it can handle 1080p. I went next gen without even realising it!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Bought my 52" 1080p Sharp about a month after getting my PS3 4 years ago so I'm good. Though the tv may not be so good, screen keeps going black playing my Wii U. Thought it was my Wii U, sent it in to Nintendo for repairs, they sent me back a different one and it's doing the same thing. Only w the WiiU set to 1080p though, on 720p or 1080i it's fine. I give up. Guess I'll see how the PS4 works - next year. I never buying anything new again until the first price-drop bundle comes to market, no matter how long it takes.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I have the PlayStation 3D Display, and I really have no reason to upgrade. 1080p goodness squeezed into a 24" screen is PERFECT for a small room like mine, and the 3D is a nice plus even though I don't use it all that much (more for movies than games).

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I have a 32" Samsung that has full HD capability and I'd not describe the display of any of the games I play as blurry.....there is no reason to upgrade my TV. Some games don't hold up well, prior to the release of GTAV I popped GTAIV in and that looked fuzzy and a bit crappy but everything looked sharp enough for me on PS3 so the full HD of the PS4 will make my old TV pop with new life.

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

bought an awesome 47" lg for my bedroom 2 months ago and ordered a 50" for the living room just this morning! PS4 for my bedroom XB1 for my living room.. PS4 will get by far the most play so it will be hooked up to the higher quality tube in my bedroom ;)

dudeware

dudeware said:

Nah I've already got a 55" 3D TV that's full 1080p capabile with 120hz refresh rate. The only way I'd upgrade is if 4K tv's suddenly became affordable from the respective brands I like to purchase TV's from.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

we have a 1080p plasma about 46 or so inches. We're thinking about upgrading to bigger and adding 3D. I'm pretty comfortable with plasma, but I may look into LED as well but then I have to do all that research about what works well with gaming again.

adf86

adf86 said:

I know it's hard to believe but I've been through this entire generation playing on a SD TV (a flat LCD Maxim portable actually). I'm seriously thinking of moving into HD now, but are SD defiantly incompatible with PS4? If so can anyone recommend a good HD TV to play games on? Bear in mind that it would be for my room so not too big, and isn't too expensive. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

I just bought a 40 inch LED about a year ago so I don't need a new one. If I didnt I would be picking one up for my PS4 that's for sure.

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

My next TV will be a 4K SONY TV :P But not sure when tho(because of cost) So end of next-year or the year after that i guess.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@adf86 Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are right that PS4 doesn't have output for the old SD cables, only HDMI. That being said, maybe you could use an adapter like HDMI to component cables.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

I have a 42 in my room now, if im not mistaken it may be 720 P! But after i get the 73 inch DLP in the Living serviced its 1080p 55inch temp replacement will be in my room!!! (Stand included!!!)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

42'' LCD 1080p/120hz works just fine for me. In the last year and a half, I've spent well over 5 or 6 grand on a 3DS XL, Vita, Wii U, PS4 and probably over 100 games among all the systems. No, I'm not spending even more money on a TV that I don't need and that none of my consoles will even utilize. I'm happy with what I've got.

Faustek

Faustek said:

@dudeware I saw my local retailer offering Samsung's 55" 4k TV for just €2k. No HDMI 2.0 or display port.
Personally I'm just waiting for a 4:4:4 4k TV with display port.

dudeware

dudeware said:

@Faustek wow that's cheap, I've seen a samsung 55" 4K tv at my local retailer but it's $5000. Definitely the cheapest 4k tv I could buy but still way too much for me to spend on a tv which won't output 4k content that I'll wanna watch for another 5-10 years

Faustek

Faustek said:

@dudeware yeah, but so far the rebated models are those that can't push 60fps at 4k which is a bummer. But then again Sony and LG have firmware updates to enable HDMI 2.0.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

My next upgrade will be when I can get a 1080p OLED tv for under $1,500. I'd like to get a 4k display, but OLED is more important to me.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

Yea, I def will upgrade, but it will have to wait a bit. Have a large 1080p LCD for now, which shows a great pic, but I've seen LED and knew right away that would be my next upgrade.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

I'm still quite happy with my 46" FullHD Sharp LED. 't has wonderful colors, still and the black levels ain't too bad. Sooner or later, I will upgrade to a bigger OLED-TV, but not too soon. Simply can't afford it. But sometimes down the road I want something around 60" or so...the bigger, the better.

@FullbringIchigo Sorry to hear that. And while I still can use both eyes, I also can't see 3D, so this holds no appeal for me as well.

@adf86 Well, technically, the PS4 can output 480p, but it has only HDMI out, so I don't know how easy it would be to connect it to your screen. I'd recommend to upgrade to a small HDTV, though, if you can afford it. The PS4 is designed all around 1080p, so you might wanna hop on board the FullHD train to get the most glorious experience. Don't know how much money you have to spare, but 32" HDTVs are quite affordable and should offer a superior experience to your current setup.

Thoshiba, Sharp and Samsung offer excellent TVs for a small price, so maybe check 'em out. You'd love to have FullHD with PS4, I'm sure.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

My 5 year old 40" Bravia LCD is still a great set. I'd like to replace it with an OLED at some point, but there's no rush. No interest in 4K or 3D.

Also, I'd very much like to avoid a high refresh rate screen (anything over 200mhz). A friend bought a huge LED Panasonic a few months ago. It's a beautiful slab, and gaming was great-TV and Movies on the other hand were awful. The high refresh rates create bizarre image speed effects, and often affect dialogue sync.
My stepdad bought a new Sammy Smart TV recently too, same story there too.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

In fact, the KDL-46R473 fits the bill perfectly. Only £530 on amazon too.

I take that back, it's pretty poor, even for a cheaper Sony.

If I were upgrading I'd actually go for the 50" W6 (KDL50W656ASU).

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@Leifoh93 it doesn't bother me that much, I lost the sight in it about 5 years ago in a accident but it does mean all this 3D nonsense is usless to me

devperson

devperson said:

@KALofKRYPTON You can turn all of that crap off fortunately! The only thing its maybe good for is sport, but it just makes movies and television look unnatural imo. It doesn't help much for gaming either as the input lag goes through the roof!

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@devperson you can turn features off, not the refresh rate of the panel though. Stuff like Motion Flow exists to resolve the effect of high RR, doesn't work all that though.

adf86

adf86 said:

@Reverend_Skeeve @Squiggle55 Thank you for your feedback guys, I'll probably will upgrade to a full HD tv, it's just the case of finding one that offers the best value, once again thanks for your advice

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@adf86 You're welcome! :) Glad to help. And yes, if you could afford it, you should upgrade...especially if you played on standard def during the current gen, having PS4s glory in shiny FullHD will blow your mind. :) I have my FullHD for about three years now and there's still moments when I use it when I go "wow...that looks so awesome". Definitely worth it.