I just wish there was more clarity to these schemes, ya know like... PlayStation Stars?
This does seem good, I'm not being negative but why doesn't Sony tell us anything anymore.
Dynamic pricing feels kind of gross - the price should just be the price for everybody and then a rewards program would be great way of feeling the benefits of spending my money on the PSN.
I am one of those who wishlisted, however I don't think I'll be playing it day one. Decisions must be made this autumn and winter about what to play. There really is too much!
Capcom really are having a fantastic year, Pragmata was an awesome game.
In the mid to long term I see real problems for playstation and part of that is that problem is a growing disinterest in it's first party.
I really believe Sony has to find a spark of creativity to grow some interest in the brand. The only game I think can do this is Intergalactic and that's because Naughty dog themselves are a special team, probably little to do with Herman Hulst and his direction.
I get that Sony is less reliant on it's hardcore fans than it used to be but the hardcore are the ones who are buying first party titles day one. Driving interest in the brand.
I absolutely think a fresh perspective is what's needed, I don't think this role was ever truly right for Herman.
That sounds crazy to me, especially when from my perspective, Stalker has always been associated with PC, not consoles. I don't think this game was ever going to be huge on Xbox or PlayStation.
Great for the team having the game paid for before it released though.
@ButteredCrumpet I've heard from a few friends that this games biggest crime is that it's kind of boring (which is probably the worst thing a game can be imo).
The news surrounding Arkane is really disappointing... One of my favourite developers and a talented studio that produces unique and interesting titles unlike anybody else. Dishonored will always be incredible.
Focusing on big established franchises makes sense in the short term I guess but you can't rely on them forever.
The AAA side of this industry is becoming stale in terms of creativity.
Interestingly, it appears we've finally hit that point with the pricing where it's become too much for many buyers.
The prices have been rising for some time while it seemed sales were still pretty good for the most part. I think the scales have finally tipped.
Video games are a luxury and we should all remember that, the cost of living has become very difficult for many, add in an increasingly expensive hobby... Well, the numbers speak for themselves.
It's concerning, no doubt but I have hope things will correct eventually.
I said it recently on another article but I really love this website. I'm here everyday reading articles and such and it's (mostly) a troll free safe space to discuss this hobby of ours we all love so much.
I enjoy the changes you've mentioned above, I'm here to hear the thoughts and opinions of the writers.
The one thing I find odd Is the tiny paragraphs each article seems to have now... I'm sure you have your reasoning and it's probably to do with our ever shrinking attention spans but it just reads kind of oddly.
Thanks for everything you guys do, keep up the tremendous work.
I just wanted to comment saying Push square, I appreciate you.
I've seen slot of nonsense in the last 24 hours. Attention seeking negativity towards this state of play and I'm getting tired of it tbh.
Do these people even like this hobby? I'm not sure.
Just wanna say I appreciate this site for being a safe place to discuss this industry we love for it's positive and negative aspects without it turning into a ***** show.
I think they were majorly spooked at the time by Microsoft and it was a reactionary purchase made by people who had already made some bad purchases this generation.
I'm definitely in the market for this kind of project, however this one didn't really hit the mark for me. I really like metroidvanias but I was kind of disappointed. Graphically, I loved it but the gameplay was lacking.
I think ray tracing can be transformative and there are really good examples of this. I saw RE9 with path tracing the other day and it's crazy how realistic it looked. It's hard to see things really getting much better than that.
One thing I think we as console fans need to get to grips with though is the idea of the console generation being over. The PS6 will run alongside the ps5 for many years.
IMO, Sony wants you to stay on the platform and to keep you spending your money on psn. Cross gen is going to be a big thing again when the next console comes out.
Yeah that's odd... But polyphony can also be a little odd. Gran turismo TV, 3D tv integration... Driving on the moon?!
I'm sure the studios doing all kinds of experimenting behind the scenes just because they can. It's one of Sonys more interesting studios imo.
@Scottyy Gotta agree with you here. I'm playing through the Titanfall 2 campaign on Steamdeck at the moment and it's such good fun! 6-7 hour campaign can be a blast when handled well.
I feel a dinosaur for my takes on video games lol.
The game looks pretty darn good, I think Bungie and Sony may have a hit here.
I've always been a big fan of PS Studios and the work they do at Sony but the mismanagement is beyond anything i ever thought would happen. This one is painful to swallow and there is no defending it.
It seems obvious how this should have worked.
Let PS Studios create new and exciting single player games (Bluepoint should have directed to pitch remakes they wanted to work on... You don't buy a team like Bluepoint to have them do anything else... It's what they do and did it well for Sony!)
Invest heavily in trustworthy third parties to push its live service games (Along with Gran Turismo, MLB from 1st party).
I'm sorry, I'm rambling but I'm angry about this one, You fudging suck for doing this Herman and you MUST go.
Well put in the article Sammy, agree with all your points here.
@ilyn "If you don't like the game just don't buy it"... Boy! (sorry, this is a GOW review) is this true. we live in strange times where everybody just complains about everything it seems.
If you don't like it, just move on! there are more video games than ever to play these days!
A fair review - I love Metroidvanias and God of war so for me, I'll enjoy this if it's as good as you say. I really like the art style but that's surprising about it dropping frames lol. We need the Pro for this heavy hitter!
Good review, looking forward to giving it a shot when the time comes!
It's great to see Sony trying different things. I know the platform gets a lot of stick (and sometimes rightly so). However the state of play showed Sony is diversifying in interesting ways with this and investing heavily in the new Kena game.
I'm not that into the live service games, but they're still very heavily focused on single player experiences and also key imo is exploring all the different scales of investment with it's massive IP library.
I'm looking forward to this but first, I need to conquer mount Kami!
I had a ton of fun with the demo but the performance was not good on Pro. It's a bit of a shame to hear they've never really sorted the performance out.
Really appreciate the review though, the game itself sounds fun and I'll pick it up once I'm done playing Expedition 33.
I'm not an online gamer, not anymore anyway... But I did try Arc raiders and it was fantastic. It's deserving of the praise and I can only continue to see success for the team at Embark.
Between this and The Finals, they certainly seem like a team to watch.
I wonder if any TV production companies are trying to secure a series for Arc Raiders. The style and lore they've built seems ripe for a well made high budget series. I'd certainly be interested anyway.
I've come away from the game now, but that first couple of months were so fun. Wishing the team only the best going forward.
Comments 134
Re: Ghost of Yotei: Complete Edition Gets Awesome Astro Bot, Journey, Helldivers Armour Sets
Small request to the team at PushSquare.
To look at the photos in more detail i have to click them which takes me to Twitter which I don't have, therefore i can't view them.
I'd really like it if you could embed the photos into the article rather than linking me to social media. just a thought, no biggie.
Thanks!
Re: Digital PS5 Purchases Kicking Back Cash to More and More Players
I just wish there was more clarity to these schemes, ya know like... PlayStation Stars?
This does seem good, I'm not being negative but why doesn't Sony tell us anything anymore.
Dynamic pricing feels kind of gross - the price should just be the price for everybody and then a rewards program would be great way of feeling the benefits of spending my money on the PSN.
Re: One of 2026's Best-Rated PS5 Games Is Out Today, and You Probably Don't Even Know It
Kyle Thompson is so damn good at what he does!
I highly suggest all of his games, they run perfectly on a Steam Deck and are ideal for a handheld.
I cannot wait for another brilliant addition to his impressive collection of games.
Re: Former Sony Suits Recreate Infamous PS4 Game Sharing Skit, Only without the Disc
The leadership back then really seemed to care about the product. I miss these guys.
I was as big a PlayStation fan as you could find, but my fandom really has been watered down this generation.
Re: Rumour: Media Molecule's Next Game Is Out Next Year and Unlike Anything It's Made Before
Optimistic - this could be a good fit for the studio. I wonder if it will be an Animal Crossing style game with Sackboy and friends?
Astro Bot would make a lovely neighbour!
Re: These 21+ PS5 Games Are Coming Out Next Week (7th-13th September)
Thankfully nothing this week that interests me, I'm already swimming in new releases over the last 2 weeks and more are coming soon!
How can anybody seriously claim there are no games to play haha.
Re: Silent Hill: Townfall Is a PS5 Horror Time Capsule I Can't Wait to Play More Of
I was too frightened to play Silent Hill in it's infancy but I did manage to find the courage to play Silent Hill 2 remake.
It was a fantastic and thoughtful experience and I'm so in for this game.
Great preview, enjoyed the read. I'm trying to stay away from footage so it was appreciated.
Re: Rockstar Issues Statement on GTA 6 Leaks, Apologises for How Long Gameplay Reveal Has Taken
To be quite honest, i kind of respect the silence in terms of them not showing anything apart from a trailer and some screenshots.
It's kind of exciting knowing something this humongous in the entertainment space is coming and we know little about it.
I've stayed well clear of all the leaks, no need to spoil anything at this stage.
Re: Silent Hill: Townfall Has Some Familiar Faces, Cast Revealed in New Trailer
The setting for this game is really neat. Very different to what we often see.
really looking forward to the darker Autumn evenings and settling into this game!
Re: Onimusha: Way of the Sword May Be Another PS5 Capcom Hit as It Crosses 2 Million Wishlists
I am one of those who wishlisted, however I don't think I'll be playing it day one. Decisions must be made this autumn and winter about what to play. There really is too much!
Capcom really are having a fantastic year, Pragmata was an awesome game.
Re: Opinion: Hermen Hulst Has Failed and PS Studios Needs a Change
@johncalmc so true. In any other generation they'd be in big trouble.
They're lucky, but luck does run out! They do have time to course correct though, and new leadership would be a start.
Re: Opinion: Hermen Hulst Has Failed and PS Studios Needs a Change
In the mid to long term I see real problems for playstation and part of that is that problem is a growing disinterest in it's first party.
I really believe Sony has to find a spark of creativity to grow some interest in the brand. The only game I think can do this is Intergalactic and that's because Naughty dog themselves are a special team, probably little to do with Herman Hulst and his direction.
I get that Sony is less reliant on it's hardcore fans than it used to be but the hardcore are the ones who are buying first party titles day one. Driving interest in the brand.
I absolutely think a fresh perspective is what's needed, I don't think this role was ever truly right for Herman.
Re: Ghost of Yotei: Complete Edition Announced, Includes New Expansion, Game Mode, More
A rare platinum trophy for me (I'm not a trophy hunter). Something about Yotei and Tsushima were both very addictive.
Ill play the DLC for sure.
I really like Suckerpunch, but i hope this is it (for now at least) with this franchise. Time to move onto a new IP!
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue 643
I have a few things going at the moment...
In preparation for the new Plague tale game, I'll be replaying A plague tale Requiem, some tape 2 tape and the awesome Denshattack!
Re: The Next Kingdom Come Game's Title May Have Leaked Thanks to a New Trademark
@Mr-Cage It can be daunting rather than difficult.
You feel weak and you're kind of thrown into the world without much direction but that's part of the charm.
Henry is a all time great video game character and some of the early conversations in the game are hilarious because of your low stats.
If you don't mind taking your time KCD2 is one of the best games of the generation Imo.
Re: Xbox Paid More Than It Cost to Make STALKER 2 to Keep It Off PS5 for a Year
That sounds crazy to me, especially when from my perspective, Stalker has always been associated with PC, not consoles. I don't think this game was ever going to be huge on Xbox or PlayStation.
Great for the team having the game paid for before it released though.
Re: With Over 17 Million Starfield Players, Bethesda Commits to Sci-Fi RPG's Future
@ButteredCrumpet I've heard from a few friends that this games biggest crime is that it's kind of boring (which is probably the worst thing a game can be imo).
Re: This Madcap, Chaotic Australian Football PS5 Game Is a Sports Title I Can Get Behind
The roguelike sports game is a fun concept.
I'm playing a game on my steam deck currently called Tape to tape, it's similar to this but Hockey (maybe not quite as crazy as this!).
Anyway, great find! Looks super fun.
Re: Bethesda Reducing Workforce, Refocusing on Its Biggest Franchises Amid Xbox Layoffs
The news surrounding Arkane is really disappointing... One of my favourite developers and a talented studio that produces unique and interesting titles unlike anybody else. Dishonored will always be incredible.
Focusing on big established franchises makes sense in the short term I guess but you can't rely on them forever.
The AAA side of this industry is becoming stale in terms of creativity.
Re: Price Hiked PS5 Endures Sony's Worst May in Over 25 Years
Interestingly, it appears we've finally hit that point with the pricing where it's become too much for many buyers.
The prices have been rising for some time while it seemed sales were still pretty good for the most part. I think the scales have finally tipped.
Video games are a luxury and we should all remember that, the cost of living has become very difficult for many, add in an increasingly expensive hobby... Well, the numbers speak for themselves.
It's concerning, no doubt but I have hope things will correct eventually.
It's going to be some time though.
Re: Site News: Oh, Hi Everyone! Did You Notice Anything Different Here Recently?
I said it recently on another article but I really love this website. I'm here everyday reading articles and such and it's (mostly) a troll free safe space to discuss this hobby of ours we all love so much.
I enjoy the changes you've mentioned above, I'm here to hear the thoughts and opinions of the writers.
The one thing I find odd Is the tiny paragraphs each article seems to have now... I'm sure you have your reasoning and it's probably to do with our ever shrinking attention spans but it just reads kind of oddly.
Thanks for everything you guys do, keep up the tremendous work.
Re: Amazon Is Stepping in to Publish Future James Bond Games After Smash Hit 007 First Light
The game is excellent because of IO.
Achieving what they have here extremely difficult and a lot of things have to go right.
I can't see anybody else handling a sequel apart from IO. The game has their identity all over it.
Re: Reaction: Leaks Robbed State of Play of Its Biggest Surprise, But Show Still Spotlighted Many PS5 Games I'll Buy
I just wanted to comment saying Push square, I appreciate you.
I've seen slot of nonsense in the last 24 hours. Attention seeking negativity towards this state of play and I'm getting tired of it tbh.
Do these people even like this hobby? I'm not sure.
Just wanna say I appreciate this site for being a safe place to discuss this industry we love for it's positive and negative aspects without it turning into a ***** show.
Re: Poll: How Would You Rate State of Play for June 2026?
That was great! Tons of release dates, lots of interesting single player games.
September looking kinda crazy...
Honestly, I can't keep up with how many video games I want to play.
Rayman surprised me, looked a lot better than expected.
Re: Poll: Sony's Killing Its PS5 PC Ports - But Do You Agree with Its Decision?
I'm not against it totally... However, I'm unsure if the playstation faithful are really as prominent as it used to be.
I didn't expect Saros to sell a crazy high number but at this stage of the consoles lifecycle I kind of expected better numbers.
I just hope for the sake of these studios, playstation owners buy the exclusives otherwise we are going lose more teams.
Re: Saros Squashes Trophy Bugs and Other Nasty Issues in Latest PS5 Patch, Available Now
I've just finished the epilogue ending and wow, what an amazing video game.
It isn't perfect but few games are... No other developer in Sonys first party does moment to moment gameplay better than Housemarque.
It's addictive, chaotic and beautiful. Oh, and a special mention to the sound design!
Loved this game and I hope for the sake of Housemarque it can somehow sell some more copies.
Re: Is Bungie Sony's Worst Ever Acquisition After $765 Million Write-Down?
Put simply, yes I think it is.
I think they were majorly spooked at the time by Microsoft and it was a reactionary purchase made by people who had already made some bad purchases this generation.
Re: Star Wars Needs a Clean in PowerWash Simulator 2's Next DLC Pack on PS5
The team behind this game must be losing their minds.
As if a game about power washing has star wars DLC haha.
Fair play to them!
Re: Despite PS5 Hits, Sony Sinks to 21st in Metacritic's Publisher Rankings
It does feel as if Sony has lost some of its prestige this generation.
Some great games no doubt, but at one stage it felt like playstation never missed.
Re: PS5 Players Seemingly Skip Marathon as Sales Estimates Look Very Weak
I remember when selling a million units was considered hugely successful haha.
It's a little too hardcore for me I'm afraid. Seems those who enjoy it really enjoy it.. I hope it sticks around and finds more of an audience.
Re: PS5 Spin-Off God of War: Sons of Sparta Has Been a Big Hit for Sony
I'm definitely in the market for this kind of project, however this one didn't really hit the mark for me.
I really like metroidvanias but I was kind of disappointed. Graphically, I loved it but the gameplay was lacking.
Re: Hands On: Ghost of Yotei Legends Is Big Enough and Good Enough to Be Its Own Game
@VatoLoco47 I'm in exactly the same boat, my best friend is a PC gamer and we were hoping to play this together.
The mode looks great, very surprising it's free.
Re: As PS6 Delay Rumours Swirl, Fans Debate Ray Tracing's Worth
The debate over the PS6 is interesting.
I think ray tracing can be transformative and there are really good examples of this. I saw RE9 with path tracing the other day and it's crazy how realistic it looked. It's hard to see things really getting much better than that.
One thing I think we as console fans need to get to grips with though is the idea of the console generation being over. The PS6 will run alongside the ps5 for many years.
IMO, Sony wants you to stay on the platform and to keep you spending your money on psn. Cross gen is going to be a big thing again when the next console comes out.
Re: Record Breaking Battlefield 6 Sales Not Enough to Prevent Layoffs
Not saying it's a positive move but isn't this standard practice when a game is released?
Big studios often down size post launch from my understanding as they become unsustainable.
Re: Sony Apparently Pulls the Plug on PC Ports of Saros, Ghost of Yotei
It's all well and good celebrating this but for those that like exclusives, you'd better buy them.
If Saros doesn't sell well they'll go the same way as bluepoint and that is much worse than a game releasing on another platform imo.
Re: For Some Reason, Sony Apparently Got Gran Turismo 7 Running on Switch 2
Yeah that's odd... But polyphony can also be a little odd. Gran turismo TV, 3D tv integration... Driving on the moon?!
I'm sure the studios doing all kinds of experimenting behind the scenes just because they can. It's one of Sonys more interesting studios imo.
Re: If This Marathon Trailer Doesn't Get You Hyped for the PS5 FPS, Nothing Will
@Scottyy Gotta agree with you here. I'm playing through the Titanfall 2 campaign on Steamdeck at the moment and it's such good fun! 6-7 hour campaign can be a blast when handled well.
I feel a dinosaur for my takes on video games lol.
The game looks pretty darn good, I think Bungie and Sony may have a hit here.
Re: Opinion: Sony's Disgraceful Bluepoint Closure Should Concern Every PS Studios Fan
I've always been a big fan of PS Studios and the work they do at Sony but the mismanagement is beyond anything i ever thought would happen. This one is painful to swallow and there is no defending it.
It seems obvious how this should have worked.
Let PS Studios create new and exciting single player games (Bluepoint should have directed to pitch remakes they wanted to work on... You don't buy a team like Bluepoint to have them do anything else... It's what they do and did it well for Sony!)
Invest heavily in trustworthy third parties to push its live service games (Along with Gran Turismo, MLB from 1st party).
I'm sorry, I'm rambling but I'm angry about this one, You fudging suck for doing this Herman and you MUST go.
Well put in the article Sammy, agree with all your points here.
Re: Sony Makes Shocking Decision to Shut Down Bluepoint Games
Geez, what on earth are they doing?
This is ridiculous! A talented studio that would have done wonders with PlayStation IP... They only acquired them in 2021!
I'm speechless
Re: God of War: Sons of Sparta (PS5) - Series' Boldest Bet Is Also Its Slowest Burn
@ilyn "If you don't like the game just don't buy it"... Boy! (sorry, this is a GOW review) is this true. we live in strange times where everybody just complains about everything it seems.
If you don't like it, just move on! there are more video games than ever to play these days!
Re: God of War: Sons of Sparta (PS5) - Series' Boldest Bet Is Also Its Slowest Burn
A fair review - I love Metroidvanias and God of war so for me, I'll enjoy this if it's as good as you say. I really like the art style but that's surprising about it dropping frames lol. We need the Pro for this heavy hitter!
Good review, looking forward to giving it a shot when the time comes!
Re: Hands On: God of War: Sons of Sparta Shows Real Promise with Lovely Pixel Art and Punchy Combat
It's great to see Sony trying different things. I know the platform gets a lot of stick (and sometimes rightly so). However the state of play showed Sony is diversifying in interesting ways with this and investing heavily in the new Kena game.
I'm not that into the live service games, but they're still very heavily focused on single player experiences and also key imo is exploring all the different scales of investment with it's massive IP library.
I'm looking forward to this but first, I need to conquer mount Kami!
Re: Round Up: What Was Announced in Sony's State of Play Livestream for February 2026?
All the PlayStation guys over the age of 30 enjoyed this state of play haha.
A great showing of games... Honestly, great to see some positivity for once.
Re: Cairn (PS5) - This Uniquely Tactile Climbing Adventure Is Summit Worth Playing
I had a ton of fun with the demo but the performance was not good on Pro. It's a bit of a shame to hear they've never really sorted the performance out.
Really appreciate the review though, the game itself sounds fun and I'll pick it up once I'm done playing Expedition 33.
Re: PS1 Classic Rayman Looks Set for 30th Anniversary Release on PS5
Oh yes. Rayman is back baby!
Re: Arc Raiders Now a Huge Multiplayer Success Story at 12 Million Sales
I'm not an online gamer, not anymore anyway... But I did try Arc raiders and it was fantastic. It's deserving of the praise and I can only continue to see success for the team at Embark.
Between this and The Finals, they certainly seem like a team to watch.
I wonder if any TV production companies are trying to secure a series for Arc Raiders. The style and lore they've built seems ripe for a well made high budget series. I'd certainly be interested anyway.
I've come away from the game now, but that first couple of months were so fun. Wishing the team only the best going forward.
Re: 'PS5 Pro Gets the Short End of the Stick Again': Fans Gutted New HYPERPOP Console Covers Don't Support Supercharged System
I just want a black PS5 pro ...
Sometimes, they really do make the strangest decisions!
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue 613
I'm enjoying a second playthrough of baldurs gate 3... It's my Christmas and January game. It's just as good as ever.
Also started DK Bonanza which is proving to be a lot of fun. I hope everybody is enjoying the break!
Re: Game of the Year: #7 - Lumines Arise
Lumines was really really good. I was late setting off to work a couple of mornings so I could have a quick game.
A bit of a classic for the brand as well, it feels right playing this on a PlayStation.
Re: Game of the Year: Best PS5 Indie Game of 2025
Silksong and Ball x Pit were both excellent fun this year. Never got round to Blue prince but I shall one day.
Absolum slipped past me! I'll have a look into it!