@tallythwack you seem to need to get caught up in the news, I know this site has not covered it, but the EU came out to defend Microsoft on this. Phil never went back on any promises, because no such promises or concessions were part of the Zenimax deal approval.
@Martsmall the news is still accurate, since it covers what did happen and it’s still happening.
The news could use expansion about additional facts, the FTC being wrong about the EU deal. I am not going as far as saying FTC lied either, but they likely took Sony complainants to their word without doing additional follow up.
@get2sammyb I’m sure you guys are sick of this topic too, but this is, imo, an important follow up to a story you guys published. Will this development end up getting coverage here, be it as an update or a new article?
@Martsmall I would not call this fake news, it reported on what happened, but I find it odd they post this but not post an article on the immediate follow up.
@Shepherd_Tallon I would love to see any evidence of them lying to anyone about Bethesda. They were always vague and stuck to their “case by case basis” theme during that acquisition.
After paying Activision 3B, I don't think their share holders will be too happy to put any money towards the Gaming industry in the near future.
There are few things investors hate more than cash-on-hand, especially during a period of high inflation. Investors want that money spent in growth, one way or another, not sitting on a bank.
Anyways, anyone taking this as the end of the deal has not paid attention to the FTC poor track record with these lawsuits. Combine that with current US courts being much more corporation friendly than usual, and we are back at the EU and the UK being the biggest potential roadblocks.
No [bleep]!!! If you are the director, you don’t get to wash your hands off “tech issues” that end up determining if a game is even playable! It’s part of a directors job to make sure that stuff is up to par!
@LiamCroft that’s an odd rule, I mean, the game is still likely the most anticipated PlayStation game, and is what I would had voted for. As it stands I voted for AC Mirage because I’m an AC fanboy.
Interesting takeaway: they don’t offer TLOU remakester under “best re-releases”…
Also: most anticipated titles 2023 and beyond list Wolverine but not Spider-Man 2…
Wonder if we can chalk Spider-Man 2 off the potential 2023 game list… I can see Wolverine being a more linear game, no open world, making it a lot “easier” to complete than SM2.
@CutchuSlow yea I hate those headlines that “needlessly” slap platform names in the headline, but Search Engine Optimization is important for them. Articles like this, it can make it sound like a given platform is the only one being shafted, though.
My main complaint (and I think the same goes for almost anyone I heard complaining) isn’t the duration, but the ratio of actual gaming stuff.
The show is mostly off-industry stuff (celebrities, musical guests, irrelevant ads) and way too little time dedicated to actual awards, with several awards “granted” via a slide show in between ads.
I will likely not watch the show again, just pay attention afterwards to the results, and any game trailer worth paying attention will likely be covered by sites anyways.
@rjejr I mean, 3rd person cinematic adventure games are what Sony and their fans pride themselves on, those are their big sellers and few people buy a PS5 because of Sackboy or GT. Although then again, same holds true about Clank, so all I can do is try to guess a theme for the omissions. At least omitting The Show and Spider-Man tell me they wanted to focus on owned IPs.
@NomNom as Sony themselves said about CoD: it’s not always about market share. The Final Fantasy IP is just too big to be owned by any single platform owner. In Japan that’s even more so about Dragon Quest.
@NomNom honestly, if Sony manages to shut down the ABK deal, every single topic they used to shut it down can be used to shut down them acquiring Square Enix.
Funny the line about these games being synonymous with PlayStation… DQ I still feel is synonymous with Nintendo, since it thrived on the DS and 3DS, and I’m too old to ever forget that FF was a NEE/SNES rooted thing. I know Sony keeps trying to pay to foster the whole idea, though.
This is the true thing Sony is afraid of. Sony is just terrified of players having the option of playing the game day one as part of their game pass subscriptions. They rather everyone pay $70 on Ps5, or be locked out of multiple game modes and content.
They conveniently leave out that Microsoft continues to do good on keeping Minecraft on PlayStation, and promised to keep this game on similar fashion, and even bring it to switch where if has not been since the launch of the Wii U.
@somnambulance I have not played it but hopped on Twitch to see how it was playing for multiple streamers and was surprised it seemed to be playing smooth enough in those streams. I’m sure there are some memory management bugs that induce occasional slowdowns, but I am sure they will be quickly patched.
I’ll still hold back on the game till I see a sale, it might hit $45 within the first 6 months and i never been a day-one pokemon player. I just got Arceus.
@freddquadros that’s kinda the point, usually, of NG+, you get to replay the story without wasting time doing progression or unlocking gear. It’s a sort of super-easy mode. Tends to be ridiculously faster to go through the game story in NG+, for those that want to do so without heavy time investment.
Find it hard to believe it would had been hard to make a new save file that included all skill unlocks and equipment. I feel this is more of a “we want anyone playing to grind again.”
Come on Sony… is it really that technically challenging for you to add PS1 games? There got to be some PS1 games you actually own and can throw in there!!!
A bit surprised they added Skyrim Special Edition. Given it now lives under Xbox Games Studios, and many think Xbox sees PSNExtra as a competitor, it’s surprising and refreshing that they are actually willing to allow games be added to the Sony subscription service.
No, I just won’t pay $70 for games so this gen I basically stopped buying games day one. I will likely buy it when I see it on a decent sale.
Have plenty of a backlog to play by the time such a sale pops up, but I’ll get it for sure eventually. (Wish “waiting for a sale” was in the list of voting options)
I did play and beat GoW 2018 (and all mainline GoW games.)
I find it crazy that some comments here are actually piling on and trying to justify the harassment at the same time they pretend it’s just twitter being terrible….
@Balosi no, I simply mean disheartened by playing the non-Royal version before the royal version came out, and even then the PS4 version of royal either, because there is zero path to upgrade save data between any version.
I would simply not have had the energy to play the whole game again from scratch to see the new content introduced in royal, and I would be very disappointed had i played the whole game on 30fps. So there you go, long version of being disheartening to play the non-royal version on PS4.
Been playing P5R on XBox, and I am so glad i kept the game on my backlog until now. I bought this game on PS4 ages ago but kept putting it for later, I honestly would had been rather disheartened had I played my copy of Persona 5 [no royal].
@Titntin Only game in that list that I doubt will ever make it to PC is Destruction Allstars, simply because its a service game that they already plan to entirely abandon (if they have not already.)
@ppitchfork a Diablo 5 is almost certainly going to be Xbox|PC only, but up to this date MS has not canceled any game from going to PS so quickly after it making an acquisition.
I would say expect any non-CoD game announced after the acquisition closes to skip PS, even if it’s part of a long running series.
@huyi wait, the mafia games were on the premium tier? If so, why?? Wasn’t that tier for Classic PS1|2 games and PS3 streaming? Why are there native PS4 games there?
@AverageGamer it’s usually a conservative balance of specs that tries to spec under top tier PC specs for a way cheaper value.
The oculus is now being positioned as the one that actually does that starting at $300. This seems to be aiming for quite a bit higher specs than most VR and asking 550 for it. They might as well be selling it for use by PC players.
There is no way I would ever pay more for a peripheral than for the base hardware.
I’m sure this thing will sell out at launch among early adopters, but extremely dubious on the long therm success of this thing.
I keep seeing this talk about specs today compared to other PC vr headsets, but that’s like justifying selling a next gen console for $1000 simply because it compares to gaming PCs.
@kcarnes9051 I guess it’s a possibility, but GoW is also a $18-$20 dollar game. Chances are anyone that wants to play it already owns it, or would find it cheaper to just buy the game than sign up for a subscription.
@get2sammyb I think the Edios taking on contracting projects was simply Square Enix knowing they didn’t want to sink more money on the studio before selling it, and offering their services as outsourcing simply brought money in immediately. I doubt they will take on more outside projects once their obligations are completed
@zebric21 I would have to hook up my PS4 that has most my save data. No clue if I have a way to download save data for games I don’t have installed on my PS5.
How is God of War Ragnarok going to help subscriptions? It’s a single player game… right?
Edit: anyways, I been PSN+ for all of last gen and the only reason I’m still a subscriber is fear of losing my cloud safe data. Honestly, though, it’s been so long since I played on my PS5 that I think I’m going to just cancel and accept the data loss.
Interesting swing, after two games (?) with a bit of a downwards trend. I guess skipping a year really does wonders. They should shift to a game every other year going forward.
@Serialsid I think you are looking at a different point than I was trying to state. What you just said at best would explain why there would be such a close match in unit sales, but it would never explain why so many Xbox users decide to go digital compared to PlayStation.
The volume of units moved alone makes it a very decent sample size to make some judgement calls as to how many players of a given platform prefer physical or digital.
@Serialsid it would be ideal to get more similar articles but most publishers tend to keep that data private. It is still a good pointer especially when we talking about one of the best selling games of the year. Much better data point than guessing, or trying to apply total platform sales (that include digital only games and DLC) to the actual trends of physical/digital.
@racinggamefanatic first: Sony is not an option. They don’t have the funds to make this acquisition.
That aside: MS changed a lot after Bill Gates steeped down as CEO. Ballmer had an extremely different approach, Nadella even more so and has now been CEO for almost 10 years.
@Kienda this is something that perpetually baffles me, the fact that many here seem to think this is Microsoft forcing Activision to take the money. There are few out there that could afford a purchase of this size, and I honestly would hate to see Apple, Amazon or Tencent being the ones buying Activision.
Apple would dismantle them the way they dismantle everything they buy, just salvage what they want to make their Apple Arcade “better”, Amazon would push for the games to likely he PC/Luna exclusives going forward and don’t get me started on Tencent and China censorship.
Comments 1,002
Re: 'Flawless' New PS5 with Some Devs, Features Detachable Disc Drive
@get2sammyb lower cost to them but I, being a cynic, expect the PS5 + Separate disk drive to cost more than the current Disk based PS5.
Re: Armored Core 6 Won't Adopt Elden Ring, Bloodborne Style Gameplay
Expecting this to be like Elden Ring is like expecting Mega Man 12 to be a first person survival horror game.
Re: US Government's FTC Will Attempt to Block Microsoft's Activision Buyout
@tallythwack you seem to need to get caught up in the news, I know this site has not covered it, but the EU came out to defend Microsoft on this. Phil never went back on any promises, because no such promises or concessions were part of the Zenimax deal approval.
The FTC was wrong.
Re: US Government's FTC Will Attempt to Block Microsoft's Activision Buyout
@Martsmall the news is still accurate, since it covers what did happen and it’s still happening.
The news could use expansion about additional facts, the FTC being wrong about the EU deal. I am not going as far as saying FTC lied either, but they likely took Sony complainants to their word without doing additional follow up.
@get2sammyb I’m sure you guys are sick of this topic too, but this is, imo, an important follow up to a story you guys published. Will this development end up getting coverage here, be it as an update or a new article?
Re: US Government's FTC Will Attempt to Block Microsoft's Activision Buyout
@Martsmall I would not call this fake news, it reported on what happened, but I find it odd they post this but not post an article on the immediate follow up.
Re: US Government's FTC Will Attempt to Block Microsoft's Activision Buyout
Well of all entities, the EU came to the defense of Microsoft and said that FTC statements are wrong.
Re: The Last of Us: Part I on PC Costs $20 Less Than PS5 Version
Predicable joke seen a thousand miles away: “PlayStation, For the Payers!”
Re: US Government's FTC Will Attempt to Block Microsoft's Activision Buyout
@Shepherd_Tallon I would love to see any evidence of them lying to anyone about Bethesda. They were always vague and stuck to their “case by case basis” theme during that acquisition.
Re: US Government's FTC Will Attempt to Block Microsoft's Activision Buyout
@NomNom
There are few things investors hate more than cash-on-hand, especially during a period of high inflation. Investors want that money spent in growth, one way or another, not sitting on a bank.
Anyways, anyone taking this as the end of the deal has not paid attention to the FTC poor track record with these lawsuits. Combine that with current US courts being much more corporation friendly than usual, and we are back at the EU and the UK being the biggest potential roadblocks.
Re: Days Gone Director Blames Woke Reviewers, Programmers for Critical Reception
No [bleep]!!! If you are the director, you don’t get to wash your hands off “tech issues” that end up determining if a game is even playable! It’s part of a directors job to make sure that stuff is up to par!
Re: Poll: Will You Be Watching The Game Awards 2022?
Watched it twice. It was a waste of time both times. I’ll just catch up on announcements later, and spend that time actually playing games.
Re: PlayStation Blog Opens Votes for Its Game of the Year 2022 Awards
@LiamCroft that’s an odd rule, I mean, the game is still likely the most anticipated PlayStation game, and is what I would had voted for. As it stands I voted for AC Mirage because I’m an AC fanboy.
Re: PlayStation Blog Opens Votes for Its Game of the Year 2022 Awards
Interesting takeaway: they don’t offer TLOU remakester under “best re-releases”…
Also: most anticipated titles 2023 and beyond list Wolverine but not Spider-Man 2…
Wonder if we can chalk Spider-Man 2 off the potential 2023 game list… I can see Wolverine being a more linear game, no open world, making it a lot “easier” to complete than SM2.
Re: Monster Hunter Rise Will Only Be Available Digitally on PS5, PS4
@CutchuSlow yea I hate those headlines that “needlessly” slap platform names in the headline, but Search Engine Optimization is important for them. Articles like this, it can make it sound like a given platform is the only one being shafted, though.
Re: Monster Hunter Rise Will Only Be Available Digitally on PS5, PS4
I’ll likely just play this on Game Pass anyways.
Re: The Game Awards Will Be 'Significantly Shorter' This Year
My main complaint (and I think the same goes for almost anyone I heard complaining) isn’t the duration, but the ratio of actual gaming stuff.
The show is mostly off-industry stuff (celebrities, musical guests, irrelevant ads) and way too little time dedicated to actual awards, with several awards “granted” via a slide show in between ads.
I will likely not watch the show again, just pay attention afterwards to the results, and any game trailer worth paying attention will likely be covered by sites anyways.
Re: PS5, PS4 Promo Showcases the Power of Sony's First-Party
@rjejr I mean, 3rd person cinematic adventure games are what Sony and their fans pride themselves on, those are their big sellers and few people buy a PS5 because of Sackboy or GT. Although then again, same holds true about Clank, so all I can do is try to guess a theme for the omissions. At least omitting The Show and Spider-Man tell me they wanted to focus on owned IPs.
Re: PS5, PS4 Promo Showcases the Power of Sony's First-Party
@rjejr they also showed GT, so there was some variety?
Interestingly their best game (imo) was not in the list: Spider-Man. Nor MLB The Show. Guess they wanted to focus on IPs they actually own.
Re: Everybody's Favourite Exec Shuhei Yoshida Says Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Saved PlayStation
@NomNom as Sony themselves said about CoD: it’s not always about market share. The Final Fantasy IP is just too big to be owned by any single platform owner. In Japan that’s even more so about Dragon Quest.
Re: Everybody's Favourite Exec Shuhei Yoshida Says Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Saved PlayStation
@NomNom honestly, if Sony manages to shut down the ABK deal, every single topic they used to shut it down can be used to shut down them acquiring Square Enix.
Re: Everybody's Favourite Exec Shuhei Yoshida Says Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Saved PlayStation
Funny the line about these games being synonymous with PlayStation… DQ I still feel is synonymous with Nintendo, since it thrived on the DS and 3DS, and I’m too old to ever forget that FF was a NEE/SNES rooted thing. I know Sony keeps trying to pay to foster the whole idea, though.
I will admit the reason I bought a PS2 was FFX.
Re: PS Plus Is Losing to Xbox Game Pass, And Sony Fears Call of Duty Would Make It Worse
This is the true thing Sony is afraid of. Sony is just terrified of players having the option of playing the game day one as part of their game pass subscriptions. They rather everyone pay $70 on Ps5, or be locked out of multiple game modes and content.
Re: PlayStation Says Activision Blizzard Simply Must Remain Independent
They conveniently leave out that Microsoft continues to do good on keeping Minecraft on PlayStation, and promised to keep this game on similar fashion, and even bring it to switch where if has not been since the launch of the Wii U.
Re: UK Sales Charts: Black Friday Hands Sony Games Big Sales Spikes
@somnambulance I have not played it but hopped on Twitch to see how it was playing for multiple streamers and was surprised it seemed to be playing smooth enough in those streams. I’m sure there are some memory management bugs that induce occasional slowdowns, but I am sure they will be quickly patched.
I’ll still hold back on the game till I see a sale, it might hit $45 within the first 6 months and i never been a day-one pokemon player. I just got Arceus.
Re: Fan Disappointment as Assassin's Creed Valhalla Won't Get New Game+ After All
@freddquadros that’s kinda the point, usually, of NG+, you get to replay the story without wasting time doing progression or unlocking gear. It’s a sort of super-easy mode. Tends to be ridiculously faster to go through the game story in NG+, for those that want to do so without heavy time investment.
Re: Fan Disappointment as Assassin's Creed Valhalla Won't Get New Game+ After All
Find it hard to believe it would had been hard to make a new save file that included all skill unlocks and equipment. I feel this is more of a “we want anyone playing to grind again.”
Re: Some God of War Ragnarok Collector's Editions Are Missing the Actual Game
Why is it a code and not a disk anyways? If I’m buying plastic junk, isn’t it obvious I am inclined to want plastic disks too?
Re: PS Plus Premium Members Bemused by Sony Once Again
Come on Sony… is it really that technically challenging for you to add PS1 games? There got to be some PS1 games you actually own and can throw in there!!!
Re: PS Plus Extra, Premium Games for November 2022 Announced
A bit surprised they added Skyrim Special Edition. Given it now lives under Xbox Games Studios, and many think Xbox sees PSNExtra as a competitor, it’s surprising and refreshing that they are actually willing to allow games be added to the Sony subscription service.
Re: Poll: Did You Buy God of War Ragnarok?
No, I just won’t pay $70 for games so this gen I basically stopped buying games day one. I will likely buy it when I see it on a decent sale.
Have plenty of a backlog to play by the time such a sale pops up, but I’ll get it for sure eventually. (Wish “waiting for a sale” was in the list of voting options)
I did play and beat GoW 2018 (and all mainline GoW games.)
Re: One of the People Who Designed Fortnite's Battle Pass Has Just Joined Naughty Dog
Bring on the service games!
Wonder if this is the next chapter of Naughty Dog, no more story games, fully focused on multiplayer games…
Re: God of War Ragnarok PS5, PS4 Reviewer Threatened Over Lower Score
I find it crazy that some comments here are actually piling on and trying to justify the harassment at the same time they pretend it’s just twitter being terrible….
“But he called dlc!!!” 🤦
Re: See How Persona 5 Royal on PS5 Compares in Latest Digital Foundry Tech Test
@Balosi no, I simply mean disheartened by playing the non-Royal version before the royal version came out, and even then the PS4 version of royal either, because there is zero path to upgrade save data between any version.
I would simply not have had the energy to play the whole game again from scratch to see the new content introduced in royal, and I would be very disappointed had i played the whole game on 30fps. So there you go, long version of being disheartening to play the non-royal version on PS4.
Re: See How Persona 5 Royal on PS5 Compares in Latest Digital Foundry Tech Test
Been playing P5R on XBox, and I am so glad i kept the game on my backlog until now. I bought this game on PS4 ages ago but kept putting it for later, I honestly would had been rather disheartened had I played my copy of Persona 5 [no royal].
Re: Final Fantasy 16 Is Exclusive to PS5 for Six Months, Sony Confirms
@Titntin Only game in that list that I doubt will ever make it to PC is Destruction Allstars, simply because its a service game that they already plan to entirely abandon (if they have not already.)
Re: Rumour: Diablo 4 Unleashes Hell in April 2023
@ppitchfork a Diablo 5 is almost certainly going to be Xbox|PC only, but up to this date MS has not canceled any game from going to PS so quickly after it making an acquisition.
I would say expect any non-CoD game announced after the acquisition closes to skip PS, even if it’s part of a long running series.
Re: Hold On, PS5 Just Outsold Switch in Japan
The news here is not one of demand, but one of supply and that Sony finally bothered to allocate decent stock to its home country.
Re: PS Plus Extra, Premium Lose Five PS4 Games on 15th November
@huyi wait, the mafia games were on the premium tier? If so, why?? Wasn’t that tier for Classic PS1|2 games and PS3 streaming? Why are there native PS4 games there?
Re: Poll: Will You Pay the PSVR2 Launch Price?
@AverageGamer it’s usually a conservative balance of specs that tries to spec under top tier PC specs for a way cheaper value.
The oculus is now being positioned as the one that actually does that starting at $300. This seems to be aiming for quite a bit higher specs than most VR and asking 550 for it. They might as well be selling it for use by PC players.
Re: Poll: Will You Pay the PSVR2 Launch Price?
There is no way I would ever pay more for a peripheral than for the base hardware.
I’m sure this thing will sell out at launch among early adopters, but extremely dubious on the long therm success of this thing.
I keep seeing this talk about specs today compared to other PC vr headsets, but that’s like justifying selling a next gen console for $1000 simply because it compares to gaming PCs.
Re: PSVR2 Launches 22nd February 2023, Costs $550
Ouch… that’s expensive.
Re: PS Plus Lost Two Million Members in the Last Three Months
@kcarnes9051 I guess it’s a possibility, but GoW is also a $18-$20 dollar game. Chances are anyone that wants to play it already owns it, or would find it cheaper to just buy the game than sign up for a subscription.
Re: Embracer Group Already Closing Newly Acquired Montreal Studio
@get2sammyb I think the Edios taking on contracting projects was simply Square Enix knowing they didn’t want to sink more money on the studio before selling it, and offering their services as outsourcing simply brought money in immediately. I doubt they will take on more outside projects once their obligations are completed
Re: PS Plus Lost Two Million Members in the Last Three Months
@zebric21 I would have to hook up my PS4 that has most my save data. No clue if I have a way to download save data for games I don’t have installed on my PS5.
Re: PS Plus Lost Two Million Members in the Last Three Months
How is God of War Ragnarok going to help subscriptions? It’s a single player game… right?
Edit: anyways, I been PSN+ for all of last gen and the only reason I’m still a subscriber is fear of losing my cloud safe data. Honestly, though, it’s been so long since I played on my PS5 that I think I’m going to just cancel and accept the data loss.
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Nears $1 Billion in Opening Weekend
Interesting swing, after two games (?) with a bit of a downwards trend. I guess skipping a year really does wonders. They should shift to a game every other year going forward.
Re: UK Sales Charts: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Sells Best on PS5
@Serialsid I think you are looking at a different point than I was trying to state. What you just said at best would explain why there would be such a close match in unit sales, but it would never explain why so many Xbox users decide to go digital compared to PlayStation.
The volume of units moved alone makes it a very decent sample size to make some judgement calls as to how many players of a given platform prefer physical or digital.
Re: UK Sales Charts: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Sells Best on PS5
@Serialsid it would be ideal to get more similar articles but most publishers tend to keep that data private. It is still a good pointer especially when we talking about one of the best selling games of the year. Much better data point than guessing, or trying to apply total platform sales (that include digital only games and DLC) to the actual trends of physical/digital.
Re: As Long As There's PlayStation, Call of Duty Will Release on It
@racinggamefanatic first: Sony is not an option. They don’t have the funds to make this acquisition.
That aside: MS changed a lot after Bill Gates steeped down as CEO. Ballmer had an extremely different approach, Nadella even more so and has now been CEO for almost 10 years.
Re: As Long As There's PlayStation, Call of Duty Will Release on It
@Kienda this is something that perpetually baffles me, the fact that many here seem to think this is Microsoft forcing Activision to take the money. There are few out there that could afford a purchase of this size, and I honestly would hate to see Apple, Amazon or Tencent being the ones buying Activision.
Apple would dismantle them the way they dismantle everything they buy, just salvage what they want to make their Apple Arcade “better”, Amazon would push for the games to likely he PC/Luna exclusives going forward and don’t get me started on Tencent and China censorship.