A lot of fans are upset at the potential of Microsoft owning CoD, because it’s too big and it is too much power, but all making the game exclusive would do is downsize CoD and open competition for other shooters.
This is the main reason I doubt Xbox would pull the game from PlayStation. It would just weaken the CoD IP.
@PlayStationGamer3919 I hace no clue how Sony will treat the service, but at least with Xbox, first party games stay there for good (unless they need to delist due to licensing as tends to be the fact with much older Forza games, but that also means the games in question can no longer even be sold anyways.) in the past, I think Sony has indeed also rotated in and out their first party games from the old service PSNow, who knows if they are changing their approach now.
Third party games tend to rotate. Again no clue what Sony is pursuing and we might find over time a pattern, but if they follow Xbox, most titles are added for about 6 months; with some lasting a whole year. Rockstar games tend to be added just for about a month or two, maybe three. Rockstar is VERY conservative with their collaboration with these services.
Edit: seems RDR2 was there 15 months, that’s quite a long window for rockstars usual.
Amazon is the same I read it a lot that Amazon is the only one that delivers games in certain area's in US.
Bit out of topic, and obviously I am not everywhere in the US all at once, but this does not sound like its true at all. Basically, if you can receive mail, you can order from any retailer. Target, Walmart, GameStop, BestBuy, etc.
I could see them being more reliable at delivering you a copy of a game day one, but even that I have tested and had better luck from BestBuy than Amazon, at times. Either way we talking differences of what time of the day the delivery is made.
the odds are long that this deal is actually reversed. Is an attempt to shoot the moon worth it when doing so means you are are literally telling people we are doomed after this?
This is what makes me shake my head about all this. They are talking as if this will hurt them drastically, once this deal goes through... it is not about the customers, fans will be fans and continue to buy the console(s) they want, and fans of an IP will go to where the IP is. So this is more likely to make people get a second console than xbox be their only console.
But what will they tell their investors? This is likely going to result in their stock suffering a big hit when the deal finalizes. And you never truly recover from stock drops, you stumble and just climb again, lower than you would had been had you never stumbled to begin with.
The game didn’t pick my interest too much at launch despite being an Arcane game, but I’m surely give it a try on Game Pass, since all I have to lose is a bit of time.
It was OK. Only one title added to my PS5 interest list: Rise of the Ronin. Everything else is either a game I will regardless play somewhere else or God of War, that I was already planning to by whenever it goes on sale.
Sadly, Rise of the Ronin is dated 2024, and things being the way they are, I would not expect it before September 2024. Hopefully we get at least a Spider Man game in 2023 because my PS5 is collecting dust.
The first has been for over a year on XBox now, and I doubt Xbox paid them for "second year" exclusivity to keep it from PlayStation so.... where is the first one? Maybe as usual, Square is waiting for Sony to give them money, that seems to be how they operate these days.
Edit: huh... Octopath Traveler 1 is not on PS but its on Xbox, Octopath Traveler 2 is coming to PS but not to XBox... wth... Square??? 😒
I guess they see this as a Switch Game First and foremost, and like to troll everyone else.
@Fyz306903 when a game gets Ao rating in the US, big retail chains like Walmart and Target refuse to carry them, and those account for a huge count of physical game sales.
Needless to say, publishers have fought and lobbied their own self regulated rating groups to make sure no game that should be labeled Ao ever gets that rating.
I feel Sony is shooting themselves on the foot. This deal will go through and investors are going to remember leadership telling the world how devastating it is going to be for them. It will hit their stock prices harder than it would have otherwise.
@Luvstagrind that’s not a re-release, though. Although I can still see anyone agreeing on waiting for a sale on any disappointing game.
I meant specifically factoring in the list price for ports and remasters and then consider if any of the improvements actually justifies whatever price tag the publisher decided. For me, TLOU PS5 Remaster does not justify that price tag one bit.
@Sakisa @Snake_V5 Square Enix has a good relationship with whomever gives them money. This is why you get Dragon Quest timed exclusivity on Nintendo platforms, Final Fantasy timed exclusivities on PlayStation, PC timed exclusivity of games on the Epic Games Store and Octopath skips PS in favor of XBox/GamePass.
I keep thinking about this and I don't get it. What does Lying Ryan think he has to gain by saying the time span of the deal out loud?
This deal is going to go through, and now every CoD fan knows there is a 5 year timer on PlayStation support after which now everyone will think the game is certainly going exclusive. Xbox has nothing to lose from this reveal, the players that will hate on Phil for some supposedly "half truth" or "white lie" already hated on him. I cant see this upsetting any fan.
Seriously, spend the next 5 years making your own Call of Duttifield modern war game.
@riceNpea I'm obviously talking about money at a corporate level. Corporate language tends to add six to 9 left digits to anything we, common folk, would ever talk about.
@riceNpea "I still can't wrap my head around that number..$69 billion. "
I dont see the number as that big of a number, to be honest. I mean, Disney bought 21st Century Fox for 71 billion, and Microsoft almost paid 40 billion for discord.
Linked in, a site for job hunting, was 26 billion. Skype was 8.5 billion, and thats just basically one app.
@get2sammyb It's a multi-directional difference, though. Investors are selling ActBliz because its on a down swing and they honestly don't trust the ability for it to ever turn around.
Microsoft owning a company means they are taking on a lot of risk and liability that you just don't sign up to when you sign up for a timed exclusivity deal.
@get2sammyb "Yeah, because Killzone and Resistance have always been big competitors to Call of Duty. "
Call of Duty wasn't always this big either. It didn't really blow up until Modern Warfare. If you give up, you never get a hit. Not saying I know what direction they should had ever taken, but entirely abandoning FPS in favor of third-party marketing deals was not the best long-term approach, and the same holds true about RPGs. When was the last time Sony developed an RPG? White Knight Chronicles?
@BritneyfR_ee in cases like this, they don't list the season pass separately and scare buyers into thinking the only way to get it is by rebuying the deluxe edition, therefore might as well buy it now.
Me personally: why anyone preorder digital games at all?!
(I know the answer in many cases is similar preorder-only digital knickknacks)
I already was worried this was going to feel like too short of a game now they saying its going to not really end... because they left the world "expandable"?
Call me old and refusing to change, but I personally like the Dual Shock 4 controller way more than the Dual Sense. A personal thing, but I find it much easier to hit the option and share buttons without ever accidentally touching the touchpad, for one. I also like the smaller form factor and the full shaped (round) home button vs the molded PS logo button. And like the feel of a smaller form factor, too. It's also lighter.
I also happen to have like 6 or 8 DS4 controllers and it would had been a lot cheaper to have multiplayer couch games with house guests if I could just use that controller on all PS5 games, it's not like I seen a single game that requires any of the Dual Sense features to play, much less multiplayer ones.
In my opinion, all it's going to take is one change in leadership at Microsoft for everything to come crumbling down.
Disagreements on Game Pass sustainability aside, this is true basically everywhere. I would say the current leadership on PlayStation is slowly taking the platform in the wrong direction, but again, that's opinion.
Point being, any bad leader can sink the greatest of companies, be it by changing too drastically in the wrong direction (Example: Nintendo during the N64/GC years,) or refusing to change when the world changes under your feet (example: Blockbuster Video.)
@SplooshDmg Honestly, I want Sony to be the company I loved during the PS2 and PS4 generations, but what we get now is what happens every time a console becomes dominant for a generation. Concerns of price hikes and quality drops should be expressed, but not without realizing that Sony is doing that right now to all of us.
Sony needs some real competition, even if that means the competitors end up buying some third party developers and publishers.
both PlayStation and Xbox will be getting the same content. Therefore, I cannot see an issue here...
But it's not fair that poor Sony won't be able to pay AB anymore to make the non-PS versions of CoD inferior by locking content away from them!!!
And as has been said by some, this will just lead to MS dominating, increasing prices of games, and lowering quality! Eventually they will just give us Remasters for $70 and spend years patching their latest release of Horizon... oh wait... Sony is already doing that... huh...
This is basically a formality at this point. I'm sure MS would go through with the acquisition so long its approved in the US, even if the UK was stubborn enough to prevent them from publishing in the country.
@get2sammyb I love my some mobile games more than the average person. I love the gameplay loop in Candy Crush, Bubble Witch and all those puzzle games, but I detest the monetization models. Limited lives, spamming for powerups that will let you go through, etc etc.
And lets face it: Sony wants to get into this area because of the money, and that means adopting those same schemes.
Building a comparable PC might be more expensive, but this is the same market were the Switch domain is absolute. If FF16 was on switch, it would sell like crazy.
Point being: not everyone feels the need of playing on a PS5 equivalent PC, many will do with the computer they already have and run the game at minimum or recommended settings, not at max.
Comments 1,002
Re: Bloodborne at 60fps Is Just Two Lines of Code Away from Reality
2 lines of code and, of course, a $70 remaster price tag!
Re: Poll: Rate Your Favourite PS4 Games
@ShogunRok but Shadowbringers was a 10/10 while the rest of the game fluctuated between a 7 and a 9...
Re: Poll: Rate Your Favourite PS4 Games
There are no entries for FFXIV Shadowbringers or Endwalker...
Re: Battlefield Publisher EA Eyes Opportunity if Call of Duty Leaves PS5, PS4
A lot of fans are upset at the potential of Microsoft owning CoD, because it’s too big and it is too much power, but all making the game exclusive would do is downsize CoD and open competition for other shooters.
This is the main reason I doubt Xbox would pull the game from PlayStation. It would just weaken the CoD IP.
Re: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Is Old Enough to Apply for Its Learner's Permit
If a game needed a "remake" it was this game. But I guess that was too much work. Still hope they someday do a trilogy remaster someday.
Re: Reminder: Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Removed From PS Plus Extra Tomorrow
@Shepherd_Tallon I would not be super surprised if they start rotating their first party games. I think they did during PSNow.
Re: Reminder: Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Removed From PS Plus Extra Tomorrow
@PlayStationGamer3919 I hace no clue how Sony will treat the service, but at least with Xbox, first party games stay there for good (unless they need to delist due to licensing as tends to be the fact with much older Forza games, but that also means the games in question can no longer even be sold anyways.) in the past, I think Sony has indeed also rotated in and out their first party games from the old service PSNow, who knows if they are changing their approach now.
Third party games tend to rotate. Again no clue what Sony is pursuing and we might find over time a pattern, but if they follow Xbox, most titles are added for about 6 months; with some lasting a whole year. Rockstar games tend to be added just for about a month or two, maybe three. Rockstar is VERY conservative with their collaboration with these services.
Edit: seems RDR2 was there 15 months, that’s quite a long window for rockstars usual.
Re: PSVR2 Isn't Backwards Compatible with PSVR Games, Sony Confirms
Anyone expecting free upgrades, hahahah! 🤣
Re: Sony Won't Let Microsoft's $69 Billion Activision Acquisition Go, Stresses It's Bad for Gaming
@Flaming_Kaiser
Bit out of topic, and obviously I am not everywhere in the US all at once, but this does not sound like its true at all. Basically, if you can receive mail, you can order from any retailer. Target, Walmart, GameStop, BestBuy, etc.
I could see them being more reliable at delivering you a copy of a game day one, but even that I have tested and had better luck from BestBuy than Amazon, at times. Either way we talking differences of what time of the day the delivery is made.
Re: Sony Won't Let Microsoft's $69 Billion Activision Acquisition Go, Stresses It's Bad for Gaming
@Somebody
This is what makes me shake my head about all this. They are talking as if this will hurt them drastically, once this deal goes through... it is not about the customers, fans will be fans and continue to buy the console(s) they want, and fans of an IP will go to where the IP is. So this is more likely to make people get a second console than xbox be their only console.
But what will they tell their investors? This is likely going to result in their stock suffering a big hit when the deal finalizes. And you never truly recover from stock drops, you stumble and just climb again, lower than you would had been had you never stumbled to begin with.
Re: Looks Like Deathloop's PS5 Exclusivity Is Coming to an End
The game didn’t pick my interest too much at launch despite being an Arcane game, but I’m surely give it a try on Game Pass, since all I have to lose is a bit of time.
Re: Poll: What Was Your Favourite PS5, PS4 Game Shown at Sony's Latest State of Play?
@Fyz306903 That is indeed a strong positive for anyone still having trouble securing a next gen console.
Re: Poll: What Was Your Favourite PS5, PS4 Game Shown at Sony's Latest State of Play?
Rise of the Ronin, but sadly about 2 years away.
Re: Reaction: Sony's Struck State of Play Gold Not Once, But Twice in a Row
It was OK. Only one title added to my PS5 interest list: Rise of the Ronin. Everything else is either a game I will regardless play somewhere else or God of War, that I was already planning to by whenever it goes on sale.
Sadly, Rise of the Ronin is dated 2024, and things being the way they are, I would not expect it before September 2024. Hopefully we get at least a Spider Man game in 2023 because my PS5 is collecting dust.
Re: PSVR2 Hands-On Previews Praise Hardware and Games in Glowing Write-Ups
I'm not interested in VR, much less wired (regardless how lightweight the cable is) but still curious how much this will cost.
Re: Boy! You're Going to Want God of War Ragnarok's PS5 Controller
I honestly was expecting something way better looking when I read that headline.
Re: Octopath Traveler 2 Revealed for PS5, PS4, Out February 2023
The first has been for over a year on XBox now, and I doubt Xbox paid them for "second year" exclusivity to keep it from PlayStation so.... where is the first one? Maybe as usual, Square is waiting for Sony to give them money, that seems to be how they operate these days.
Edit: huh... Octopath Traveler 1 is not on PS but its on Xbox, Octopath Traveler 2 is coming to PS but not to XBox... wth... Square??? 😒
I guess they see this as a Switch Game First and foremost, and like to troll everyone else.
Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage Likely Won't Take 100 Hours to Beat
Nor would Valhalla if it wasn’t padded with so many miles of grassy fields to slow your progress through missions.
Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage May Be Rated Adults Only Due to Real Gambling
@Fyz306903 when a game gets Ao rating in the US, big retail chains like Walmart and Target refuse to carry them, and those account for a huge count of physical game sales.
Needless to say, publishers have fought and lobbied their own self regulated rating groups to make sure no game that should be labeled Ao ever gets that rating.
Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage May Be Rated Adults Only Due to Real Gambling
Can we make all sports game that have real gambling also trated Ao?
Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage Sneaks to PS5, PS4 in 2023, Priced at $50
@GreatAuk I’m expecting something along the lines of Rogue (about 10 hours it not going for 100%)
All these games end up adding enough collectible hunts to pad a ton of hours total, though. I just hope non grindy leveling schemes.
Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage Sneaks to PS5, PS4 in 2023, Priced at $50
@TheDudeElDuderino right, I should be grateful that some developers have decided to charge us more for games. Shame on Ubisoft for not doing so too.
Re: Assassin's Creed Arrives in Ancient China, But on Smartphones Only
Hopefully supports controllers. If so, I’ll just hook up my phone to my TV and play it that way.
Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage Sneaks to PS5, PS4 in 2023, Priced at $50
Wait… $50? I thought it was not sustainable to make games for less than $70!
Re: Talking Point: What Do You Make of Microsoft and Sony's Call of Duty Quarrel?
I feel Sony is shooting themselves on the foot. This deal will go through and investors are going to remember leadership telling the world how devastating it is going to be for them. It will hit their stock prices harder than it would have otherwise.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give The Last of Us: Part I?
@Luvstagrind that’s not a re-release, though. Although I can still see anyone agreeing on waiting for a sale on any disappointing game.
I meant specifically factoring in the list price for ports and remasters and then consider if any of the improvements actually justifies whatever price tag the publisher decided. For me, TLOU PS5 Remaster does not justify that price tag one bit.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give The Last of Us: Part I?
@LiamCroft to me, price should play a factor on almost any re-release.
Re: PlayStation Bites Back At 'Inadequate' Call of Duty Offer from Microsoft
@Sakisa @Snake_V5 Square Enix has a good relationship with whomever gives them money. This is why you get Dragon Quest timed exclusivity on Nintendo platforms, Final Fantasy timed exclusivities on PlayStation, PC timed exclusivity of games on the Epic Games Store and Octopath skips PS in favor of XBox/GamePass.
Re: PlayStation Bites Back At 'Inadequate' Call of Duty Offer from Microsoft
I keep thinking about this and I don't get it. What does Lying Ryan think he has to gain by saying the time span of the deal out loud?
This deal is going to go through, and now every CoD fan knows there is a 5 year timer on PlayStation support after which now everyone will think the game is certainly going exclusive. Xbox has nothing to lose from this reveal, the players that will hate on Phil for some supposedly "half truth" or "white lie" already hated on him. I cant see this upsetting any fan.
Seriously, spend the next 5 years making your own Call of Duttifield modern war game.
Re: PlayStation Bites Back At 'Inadequate' Call of Duty Offer from Microsoft
@riceNpea I'm obviously talking about money at a corporate level. Corporate language tends to add six to 9 left digits to anything we, common folk, would ever talk about.
Re: PlayStation Bites Back At 'Inadequate' Call of Duty Offer from Microsoft
@riceNpea "I still can't wrap my head around that number..$69 billion. "
I dont see the number as that big of a number, to be honest. I mean, Disney bought 21st Century Fox for 71 billion, and Microsoft almost paid 40 billion for discord.
Linked in, a site for job hunting, was 26 billion.
Skype was 8.5 billion, and thats just basically one app.
Re: PlayStation Bites Back At 'Inadequate' Call of Duty Offer from Microsoft
@get2sammyb It's a multi-directional difference, though. Investors are selling ActBliz because its on a down swing and they honestly don't trust the ability for it to ever turn around.
Microsoft owning a company means they are taking on a lot of risk and liability that you just don't sign up to when you sign up for a timed exclusivity deal.
Re: PlayStation Bites Back At 'Inadequate' Call of Duty Offer from Microsoft
@get2sammyb "Yeah, because Killzone and Resistance have always been big competitors to Call of Duty. "
Call of Duty wasn't always this big either. It didn't really blow up until Modern Warfare. If you give up, you never get a hit. Not saying I know what direction they should had ever taken, but entirely abandoning FPS in favor of third-party marketing deals was not the best long-term approach, and the same holds true about RPGs. When was the last time Sony developed an RPG? White Knight Chronicles?
Re: Lighter, More Energy Efficient PS5 Has Revamped Gubbins
Cutting down costs while bumping up prices, the Sony way for this decade!
Re: Konami Renews Suikoden Trademark Ahead of Anticipated TGS Showing
Crossing my fingers for a collection!
Re: The Last of Us PS5's Pricey Firefly Edition Shipping in Shocking Condition
They charge so much for a remaster, then stamp a premium on a “collectors edition” but still cut corners on shipping… how sad, Sony…
Re: The Callisto Protocol DLC Appears Up in the Air Despite Selling Season Pass
@BritneyfR_ee in cases like this, they don't list the season pass separately and scare buyers into thinking the only way to get it is by rebuying the deluxe edition, therefore might as well buy it now.
Me personally: why anyone preorder digital games at all?!
(I know the answer in many cases is similar preorder-only digital knickknacks)
Re: The Callisto Protocol DLC Appears Up in the Air Despite Selling Season Pass
I already was worried this was going to feel like too short of a game now they saying its going to not really end... because they left the world "expandable"?
Spider-Sense is tingling...
Re: Microsoft, Sony Signed Agreement to Keep Call of Duty on PlayStation for 'Several More Years' Beyond Current Contract
To me it sounds like PlayStation owners don’t have to worry for at least 5 years, or likely the full life of the PS5.
Re: Poll: Did You Buy The Last of Us: Part I?
Played PS3 and PS4. Unlikely to buy it again not for full price (conditional on me finding it on a $20 sale.)
Re: UK Government Investigating Xbox's Activision Buyout Further
Call me old and refusing to change, but I personally like the Dual Shock 4 controller way more than the Dual Sense. A personal thing, but I find it much easier to hit the option and share buttons without ever accidentally touching the touchpad, for one. I also like the smaller form factor and the full shaped (round) home button vs the molded PS logo button. And like the feel of a smaller form factor, too. It's also lighter.
I also happen to have like 6 or 8 DS4 controllers and it would had been a lot cheaper to have multiplayer couch games with house guests if I could just use that controller on all PS5 games, it's not like I seen a single game that requires any of the Dual Sense features to play, much less multiplayer ones.
Re: UK Government Investigating Xbox's Activision Buyout Further
@get2sammyb
Disagreements on Game Pass sustainability aside, this is true basically everywhere. I would say the current leadership on PlayStation is slowly taking the platform in the wrong direction, but again, that's opinion.
Point being, any bad leader can sink the greatest of companies, be it by changing too drastically in the wrong direction (Example: Nintendo during the N64/GC years,) or refusing to change when the world changes under your feet (example: Blockbuster Video.)
Re: UK Government Investigating Xbox's Activision Buyout Further
@SplooshDmg Honestly, I want Sony to be the company I loved during the PS2 and PS4 generations, but what we get now is what happens every time a console becomes dominant for a generation. Concerns of price hikes and quality drops should be expressed, but not without realizing that Sony is doing that right now to all of us.
Sony needs some real competition, even if that means the competitors end up buying some third party developers and publishers.
Re: UK Government Investigating Xbox's Activision Buyout Further
@Fiendish-Beaver
But it's not fair that poor Sony won't be able to pay AB anymore to make the non-PS versions of CoD inferior by locking content away from them!!!
And as has been said by some, this will just lead to MS dominating, increasing prices of games, and lowering quality! Eventually they will just give us Remasters for $70 and spend years patching their latest release of Horizon... oh wait... Sony is already doing that... huh...
Re: UK Government Investigating Xbox's Activision Buyout Further
This is basically a formality at this point. I'm sure MS would go through with the acquisition so long its approved in the US, even if the UK was stubborn enough to prevent them from publishing in the country.
Re: PlayStation Acquires Savage Game Studios, Focusing on Mobile Games
@get2sammyb I love my some mobile games more than the average person. I love the gameplay loop in Candy Crush, Bubble Witch and all those puzzle games, but I detest the monetization models. Limited lives, spamming for powerups that will let you go through, etc etc.
And lets face it: Sony wants to get into this area because of the money, and that means adopting those same schemes.
Re: Destroy All Humans! 2: Reprobed (PS5) - We're Just Remaking Anything Now
Remaster does not equal remake, bu I guess we got to keep that whole TLOU charade going on.
Re: Americans Earn the Fewest Platinum Trophies for PS5, PS4
We spend more time on our Xboxes lately. 🙃
Re: PS5 Price Increase Has Some Japanese Players Praying for PC Port of Final Fantasy 16
Building a comparable PC might be more expensive, but this is the same market were the Switch domain is absolute. If FF16 was on switch, it would sell like crazy.
Point being: not everyone feels the need of playing on a PS5 equivalent PC, many will do with the computer they already have and run the game at minimum or recommended settings, not at max.
Re: PS5 Is the Only Console Getting Price Rise, Microsoft and Nintendo Have 'No Plans'
I do wonder if this is one of those rare things were they will just turn around and not do it.
Btw any word on how this price change will impact bundle editions?