Weirdness: This Is What The Legend of Zelda Would Look Like on PS4

Posted by Kell Andersen

A link between consoles

Industry analyst Michael Pachter has been harping on for years that Nintendo should publish its major titles on Sony consoles, and this picture snapped in an EB Games in Montreal demonstrates what that might look like. But before anybody gets their hopes up, it behoves us to mention that the pictured box is completely fake. Indeed, this game absolutely doesn't exist – but wouldn't it be terrific if it did?

A crafty staffer constructed the counterfeit by resizing the box art from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD for Wii U and sliding it neatly into a PlayStation 4 case. The mock-up, intended as a prank for unsuspecting customers, was then surreptitiously placed on a store shelf with the rest of the next-gen titles.

While our wallets can only dream that Nintendo's critically acclaimed first-party offerings may one day migrate to our beloved console, we're almost certain that it's never going to happen. Does this mock-up put the wind in your sails? Have you ever wanted to save Hyrule with a DualShock controller in hand? Smash some pots in the comments section below.

[via imgmr.com]

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Nope? I think I'd only ever be interested in pokemon and I think it could be so much more on the ps4. Nevermind :(

@Wesker @Aaronzord @WickedKnightAl Just a bit of silly fun. Feedback duly noted, though.

EDIT: In hindsight - and considering the feedback here - I've decided this probably was a touch misleading. We always endeavour to write engaging and interesting headlines, but we never want to 'trick' people into the contents of an article. In this instance, we used the 'Weirdness' tag to denote something that's silly or not entirely serious, but we shouldn't have assumed everyone would realise that. As such, I've changed the headline to something a little less leading, while still keeping the spirit of the original article alive.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Nope. If I wanted to play Nintendo games, I'd buy a Nintendo console, but I don't.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

If this ever happened, I'd set fire to everything until there was nothing but smoldering ash.

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

'If' anything do happen to Nintendo i bet Microsoft would buy/get everything they got. I hope not :D Wouldn't mind a few cool games from Nintendo on the PS brand(i can't see that, but i could never see SEGA's games coming to the PS Brand years ago but they did)

shinl

shinl said:

"but wouldn't it be terrific if it did?"?

No. Nintendo games are for Nintendo consoles. You don't see Nintendo fans begging for PlayStation games on their systems ever. If you want to play a Nintendo game, get the system for it.

Tintin

Tintin said:

I never want to see Nintendo games on PS or any console other than a Nintendo console. I think every gamer should have a Playstation and a Nintendo that way you get the best of both worlds.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Tintin agreed i only don't get the MS concles as there's nothing there that interests me... Kinect almost did but not worth it for the small handful of games id get for it

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

I was going to comment about how silly this story was, but the cover is adorable.

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

@Tintin What kind of drugs are you on. So if I could get all these games on one console instead of buying two, that would be bad because ???

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

Geez, tough crowd. No need to apologize Sammy, i thought it was a fun article. I love how when an article like this hits, people say "slow news day?".

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Come one guys show a bit of respect for the writer. They work hard on giving you guys the latest news even if its something silly like this. Saying stuff like must be a slow news day and stuff like that is really disrespectful. If you dont like something just ignore it and move on.

Anyway on the subject of the article I would more then likely pass on it since I am not a fan of Wind Waker now if it was a top down Zelda, well that's a different story.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@Jaz007 not to mention they are both Japanese and therefore do business differently to Microsoft and I think nintendo and Sony have a better relationship than nintendos and Microsoft.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@shinl your right though. It's the same people running about saying nintendo is dead that are just dying to play their games on ps/xbox lol.

naruball

naruball said:

I for one really enjoyed the article. The cover looks awesome. I've never played a zelda game and probably won't any time soon, as I can't justify a wiiu purchase, but would buy it if it came out for ps4 for sure.

Superstick

Superstick said:

What is with all you people saying "I play Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles"? Sony has the more superior hardware while Nintendo has the better games. It's a perfect match. Jeez.

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

I clicked this link expecting a video of how it would work with a PS4 interface. Intead, it's a blurry picture and an unimportant "story". If this is what gets posted, I'm afraid to ask what - if anything - gets passed up.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

To be fair, it is Sunday. If anyone's expecting anything important or exciting to be announced/revealed/leaked, then they're just hoping for something that's never likely to happen. The industry all but shuts down on a weekend - visit any gaming site on the net and you'll notice the trend.

That's why it's important that we try to use this time to either catch up on news that slipped us by, or post features like Talking Points to keep people entertained when they fancy a Sunday browse. A Weirdness article is just another thing that's open to us.

Spidernoir

Spidernoir said:

Actually Nintendo Fans DO say they would like some PS exclusive games on Nintendo consoles: Ex:Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper.

It's just most PS fans own Nintendo consoles and most Nintendo fans own Sony Consoles. Granted I'm talking about Fans not fanboys.

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

i don't really care about Nintendo games. But I can try to play one on PS4. And I played Wind Waker on Game Cube and it was boring beyond anything. Wind Waker was the last Nintendo game I've played and after that I stoped buying Nintendo consoles and games. Mario Sunshine was pretty boring, too. I know that mario Galaxy was good, though, but never cared to play it. Anyway, the thing is that Nintendo was best in the past. But now, Nintendo is one of many. Tomb Raider, for example, has that feeling of quality, that I felt playing Nintendo games in the past.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Again guys if this type of article is not your thing just move on. I actually enjoy this kind of topic and @ShogunRok has a point. On the weekends there is just not that much news to report. Look at sites like Gamefaqs for example they keep the same news articles up from Friday on.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Tasuki

It doesn't matter what gets posted or when it seems like these days, people will complain about the author doing something wrong. Whenvever a news topic is posted on NLife that is about sales, unless it's completely rosey for Nintendo, people cry that the writer is posting 'doom and gloom' nonsense. It's really like you're damned no matter what. The easiest thing is if you're not interested, don't click. Unfortunately too many idiots don't get that. They click and then say 'I hate click bait.' Irony and stupidity at its finest. Like you said, it's so easy to avoid something that you don't like but no, instead some people would rather click on that type of article and b*tch. All that does is say 'hey, keep these coming, it generates activity.'

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

@get2sammyb - Wow you certainly can't please everyone, all the time eh Sammy?!

I don't see this as a click-bait article. It must be very frustrating for you not being able to post a story like this without those types of accusations?

I feel for you but keep up the good work and keep bringing these stories to those that appreciate them ;)

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

I enjoyed the article. do we always have to expect ground shattering articles? but for arguments sake. I own a wii u. bought it day one. tried my best to love it. now with my ps4. I would love to see Nintendo games on my ps4. Nintendo games are great, the hardware is the issue.

Tintin

Tintin said:

@KAPADO
It wouldn't be bad but I personally think if Nintendo did give up hardware production it would be a bad day for gaming. Do you want another Sega? That's no good for anyone.
I also think the quality of Nintendo games would drop.

617Sqn

617Sqn said:

It's a gamers dream, great nintendo games on a console with decent online play, trophies, and you would be able to buy the games in shops .... not very many shops stock a good range of wii u games. I'm not loyal to any console, I just want to play great games!

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

My problem with this article is that the title is misleading, even though it sounds like it was changed. It's a box. It's not what the game would look like on a different console. It's a faked box. I guess it shows precedent that there is no proofreader on this site to make sure the contents of an article and the article's title actually match. I expected a fan-made video of a more Sony-stylized Zelda. The article title gives misinformation about the content of the article. It's not much different than putting a "This is What Ratchet and Clank would look like on Wii U!" and having the article be little more than a screenshot of a PS3 game superimposed on the Gamepad. It's clickbait. And part of the reason gaming journalism gets so little respect.

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

Wow! Why is it when most people go online, they automatically get angry and rude over stupid stuff...?