Microsoft: PlayStation 3 Doesn't Do Entertainment As Well As Xbox 360

Everyone knows it, apparently

Microsoft must be starting to feel threatened. The company has already predicted that mainstream consumers "won't know” about PlayStation’s upcoming next generation console announcement, and now it’s insinuated that the PS3 is a poor choice for entertainment options – despite it being the most popular TV-connected Netflix platform in the world.

Speaking at the D:Dive into Media event in California earlier today, Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi explained that the Xbox 360 is currently transitioning from a “gaming console to an entertainment console”. He added that the PS3 "isn't as good” in that area, and that’s something that “everybody knows”.

We’d argue that the aforementioned Netflix figures refute Mehdi’s claims, but what would we know? It’s not like the PS3 has a Blu-ray player and free access to the majority of the services locked behind a pay wall on Microsoft’s machine, after all. Say, do you guys know where we can pick up some brand new HD-DVDs?

[via engadget.com]

Splat

Splat said:

PS3 exclusives,controller and free online make the PS3 easily better. The 360 gets shoved down out throats here in the US, but to me it's not even a debate which is better.

hamispink

hamispink said:

I think the reason people believe the xbox has better media options is because it is displayed prominently in the xbox's menu (even before games) and because Microsoft markets it as an entertainment machine. Normally I would say that they seem to be equals in the non-gaming entertainment space, but as Sammy pointed out, the PS3 doesn't lock you out of paid subscriptions with another paid subscription. :P

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Splat

Yup, it hasn't been close since 2009 when PS3 really started taking off but unfortunate North American consumers are very easy to manipulate through marketing and MS are the masters at it.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Microsoft love trash talking almost as much as they love awful hardware. I went there.

davitpr

davitpr said:

LOL! Loved the last paragraph! It makes me happy to see Microsoft trash talking Sony and PS3. We all know it means they're scared and not confident on the next Xbox, specially since windows 8 is a big fail.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Even if you only wanted Netflix and nothing else, why would you pay £14.98 a month for a sub on 360 (1 month of Live gold + 1 month Netflix) when you can pay just £5.99 on PS3? Then there's the Blu-ray issue, as mentioned.

One thing not mentioned here which is also a factor is the upscaling. For non-HD content, PS3 upscales much better than the 360, with better colour and fewer artefacts.

Oh, and the 360 still doesn't feature HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync, VIEIRA Link etc.), a simple feature included by default on most hardware these days, and which no self-respecting home media centre/home theatre hardware should be without.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

And 360 needs a MS hd cable to even unlock hd display resolutions, so tally that in at another $15

asiancuta

asiancuta said:

1. Already a blu-ray player
2. Can't use Netflix on 360 unless you have Xbox live gold membership($60)
3. Can't download music, movies, or rentals without Xbox live gold membership
4. And their movies and music is thrown in your face with ads all over the UI as soon as you turn it on.
5. And it's ridiculous MS point system just complicates trying to buy or rent anything online.

His statement is completely void of intelligence.

FlamingXDragon

FlamingXDragon said:

He said it himself. The Xbox has been turning more into an entertainment device and not a real gaming platform. I have an Xbox 360 and I love the exclusive games on it like Halo Gears and Forza but besides that Xbox has nothing compared to Playstation when it comes to the amount of exclusives that make a video game console.

hydeks

hydeks said:

sad desperate words from a company that has nothing more to offer than halo :P PlayStation 3 has a blu-ray/dvd player, 360 is only dvd, PlayStation also offers more exclusives, and has special video services that xbox doesn't offer (Neon Alley). Really, xbox isn't a great brand, PlayStation and Nintendo are :P

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Xbox is TRYING to turn into an "entertainment" machine...by the by, I resent the inherent implication that video games are not entertaining...but they really, truly aren't even doing THAT as well as PS3, for all the reasons that have already been mentioned. So I'd like to know who this "everybody" this guy mentions includes, exactly. :P

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Expected sales talk from microsoft, but as said before, it's simply not true. Does anyone else agree that the PS3 menue is a lot less complicated and more accessable than the X-box menu. Oh and people will know definitly have learned about PS4 before you announce the next X-box.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

These statements are making Microsoft seem a little desperate moving forward. As far as I'm concerned the only thing I'm missing by not having an Xbox is Halo, the occasional indie game exclusive, ESPN, and HBO Go. The pros of choosing the PS3 (PS+, free online, NFL Sunday Ticket, better exclusives, blu ray) really put the xbox to shame in my opinion.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Hmm, lets see. I use my PS3 for:

• Playing games, include the following controllers : DS3, Move with Sharpshooter, Logitech racing wheel (best controller ever), Hosta flight stick. Sports active armbands (wife not me), and Band Hero set.
  • Watching blu-ray films
  • Digital Set-top box - watching and recording live TV (Play TV)
  • Streaming Internet TV on Demand (Several AU channel support PS3 directly)
  • Downloading and watching films, trailers etc
  • DLNA server to stream music, photos etc from my PC.
  • Internet (though it does suck at this)
    Probably forgetting other stuff...

I am not aware of what X-Box does either extra or better.

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

@Ginkgo Wireless Headset for PS3 (Bluetooth) work on Smartphone, Cellphone, PC, Vita and MP3 players.

360 headset works on... 360

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Kinect voice control and the LoveFilm app are all the 360 has over PS3 in the 'entertainment centre' stakes really.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

No Bluray, absolutely awful music player, out dated audio controller, you have to pay to use things like YouTube, less video support, crappy dvd upscaling, no photo editor, no video editor, and advertisements all over the GUI (even for paid members). Yeah..ok Microsoft. IE on Xbox is nice and the ability to listen to music while playing any game is nice, but that's all it has going for it.

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

Of course because all these dumb media cares about is shooters. Now that the 360 is successful, its not surprising this douchebag is talking trash. I haven't touch the 360 over a year and not planning on buying the 720 after the disappointment so whatever.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

The only pros to owning an Xbox are party chat and early access to DLC. It has almost no exclusives, although, I will admit that Halo is a pretty good game. But, shooters aren't the only thing that's out there. The PS3, has a big name exclusive from pretty much every genre.

If Microsoft wants to beat Sony, then they need to start getting more diverse. "Yo dawg, I heard you like shooters. So, I put some shooters in your shooter, so you can shoot while you shoot." seems to be Microsoft's motto. But, this is America, land of the free, and home of the semi-automatic. So, of course, those are the only games Microsoft will supply to the masses.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

yeah sure i'll just go watch netflix on my 360 and.....oh my gold has run out now i can't but WAIT i can on my PS3 and at no extra cost oh and i can use the internet too at no extra cost or youtube or catchup TV and online gaming and TV it's self (with play TV) and BLU-RAY and all at the same quality as the 360 versions

so now who was it that doesn't do it as well again?

rjejr

rjejr said:

"but what would we know? It’s not like the PS3 has a Blu-ray player and free access to the majority of the services locked behind a pay wall on Microsoft’s machine,"

Well, somebody is feeling their oats today. You usually reserve the sarcasm for first post.

And I hate to do this, but I have to back up the MS guys comments. The Xbox360 is more of an entertainment device. As in more time is spent w/ entertainment on the Xbox360 while more time is spent on the PS3 w/ gaming, even if NF gets more use on the PS3. Pulling #s out of nowhere, Xbox 2/3 viewing 1/3 playing, PS3 2/3 playing 1/3 viewing.

Wait until the KineXbox comes out and it's game free. ;-)

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I still don't understand why people pay full price for a game, just so they can pay to play the game on the internet that they're already paying for.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Theres a reason my PS3 is sat under my 3Dtv downstairs n the 360 is upst airs hooked up to a CRTtv. The PS3 is simply a better all round entertainment machine, as well as a gaming machine. Dont even get me started on the pathetic IE in the 360 with no flash support ( I cant watch stuff like I can on the PS3 browser as I get a flash error) and constant defaulting to mobile versions of sites. Makes me wonder if M$ have put the Windows mibile version of IE onto the 360 instead of a desktop version....

Cirno

Cirno said:

Eh, this is why I don't like MS anymore, they just don't want to focus on their games, just on their secondary functions, which other things in my house can cover easily. Nintendo and Sony seem to focus more on the fact that they are making games consoles, which means that both of them have more than "MLG SH00TERZ" and poopy kinect shovelware.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

@ShogunRok

You said what I was thinking. More trash talk... the main thing I dislike about the MS marketing team. They have this uncontrollable urge to talk the talk, but not walk it. Always skewing the message to mislead people into thinking their so much better than Sony and Apple. "Better with Kinect"... yea ok then... -__-

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

...one more thing, for the entertainment features on xbox, their owners will pay extra for it, even some with lower level Live subscriptions. They found another way to poke peoples wallets for things that are free on PS3.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@BlueProxy

MS has done a pretty good job pulling the wool over the eyes of the majority in North America and the UK. Fortunately consumers in Japan and most of the rest of Europe aren't as cluleless.