Rumour: BioWare Shepards the Mass Effect Trilogy onto PS4

Geth in

We proclaimed way back in January that 2014 would be the year of the re-release, and it doesn’t look like the compilations are showing any signs of slowing down. As spotted by NeoGAF, Chilean retailer Zmart.cl is currently listing the Mass Effect Trilogy for the PlayStation 4. No price or release date is attached, but the outlet has included a (potentially homemade) cover image.

While it’s possible that the South American store is merely predicting future trends, developer BioWare has hinted at the possibility of a port in the past. "We have discussed that internally," studio bigwig Aaryn Flynn said last month. "If we can put solid plans together, we'll share. Great to hear that you're keen."

Following the announcement of The Last of Us Remastered, it seems that a slew of other publishers have jumped on the upgrade bandwagon. Metro: Last Light was announced for Sony’s next-gen system not long ago, while rumours regarding The Walking Dead, Beyond: Two Souls, and Grand Theft Auto V are also rife. The big question is: are you a fan of re-buying old games?

[via zmart.cl, neogaf.com]

Rapidaz

Rapidaz said:

Playing the 1st game is going 2 be hard , the control system was shite

BenTarrant

BenTarrant said:

I was just going to say, there goes Robert. I hate to admit I never got into this franchise, a PS4 port is a prime opportunity to get involved.

TheWightMonk

TheWightMonk said:

Arrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong I loved this trilogy of games, there right up there as one of my faves but PLEASE enough of the last gen revamps! (Although I admit I would be tempted by this one %-) I get revamping older games - odd world for example - as they were on the original playstation '2 whole generations of consoles ago!' How about (and I know I've mentioned this in a previous post) revamping final fantasy VII like they hinted for the ps3 now there is a game that would fly off the shelves!

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

to be honest it makes sense that way they can allow you to carry your game saves over to mass effect 4 when it comes

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@NicolaHayden @get2sammyb @BenTarrant Would buy again, day one, would complete again in its entirety. The games are great on PS3, but they're not as technically stable as they should be. Give me less load times, a better frame rate, and no crashes, and I'll be the happiest man in the world,

That said, if this does happen, it NEEDS to include ALL the DLC, unlike the Trilogy release on PS3, which was missing vital bits and pieces.

WickedKnightAl

WickedKnightAl said:

Guess I get to check out this series to see what all the hullabaloo is about. I'm sure it'll be at least somewhat overrated (like every other game of the decade).

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

I bought a brand new copy of the 3rd game for Wii U for very cheap and only played the multiplayer once, it was fun, but i've been too into other games to play it.

iSolipsistJudas

iSolipsistJudas said:

I can't wait to delve back in to ME3 multiplayer. Although I only played the last game in the trilogy I can't wait to get in to the first 2 stories of the trilogy.

bbq_boy

bbq_boy said:

Why not? Just means more options for consumers. I tried playing mass effect hunched over a pc, mouse and keyboard but couldn't get into it. If the ps4 runs like high-end pcs I'm well up for it!! And other remakes at full 1080p/60fps - hopefully get to play it way the developers originally intended.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Why the hell not? Every other game in existence is getting ported and overpriced, I'd fully expect EA to get in on the action, I'm just surprised this is only in the 'rumor' stage at this point. EA's E3 show can't be that pitiful that it's saving this news until then to officially confirm it. Won't be getting any of my money but I'm sure the game will move 3-5 mil easily so this trend of porting crap over rather than actually creating new experiences won't end any time soon.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

So what? I haven't played any mass effect yet, if there is a software draught I'd totally pick this up. Same goes for Tombraider, Last Of Us, etc... why is it wrong to rerelease a game that still might be a NEW game for some? Just hopin' to hear something about Dark Souls 2 on PS4. Best Would be: Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 all remastered for PS4 for 99,- - I'd buy it!

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

What?!?!?!?!?!

You mean Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 on the next-gen.....

....for the same price as 3 on Wii U?

This is to EA to Wii U owners....
Untitled

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@memoryman3

Seems like that could go for pretty much every publisher/developer at this point. The only exception is Ubisoft and when the Wii U version of Watch Dogs doesn't sell well, Ubi is probably done with the console as well.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@get2sammyb I'm having a good time with my first try at the trilogy right now. I even got the strategy guides; 2's guide is weak but 3's is a "proper" tome so I'm excited to get to 3. And the games even say to play each game again and pick the opposite alignment, so you're not really done until you complete it 2 or 3 times. I'll definitely buy the trilogy for ps4.

@Gamer83 They are making Mass Effect 4 as well. I doubt many resources are going into these ports.

@memoryman3 Sadly, they're already guilty of smacking Wii U owners in the chops:

Untitled

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

I would be over this in a flash. I loved part 1 and 2 but for...reasons I never got around playing the third, so this would be perfect. The Mass Effect universe is one of the best written and diverse of any fiction I came across, so I'd love them to be on the PS4, meaning hopefully less loading times, faster elevators (groan) and overall better performance. As @ShogunRok said, though, the whole DLC for all the games should be included to really give you the whole package and story bits and pieces.

@FullbringIchigo Bioware stated that they're done with the Shepard story arc, so I'd guess they'll start something new in ME 4, so...

But of course the decisions in the first 3 games could still influence part 4. We'll see. :)

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

I love the mass effect trilogy (finally completing 3 as I type this). I personally would rather have a remix/remaster with uniform graphics and play between all three, as well as a fine tuning of missions so that the games play more similarly. I know some fans will want each game left alone, and "as is". Well rebuy the other "trilogy" set or the games by themselves. This is an opportunity to make one, concise package.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

Couldn't get into Mass Effect. I would like to see a Batman Arkham trilogy released on PS4 before Arkham Night gets released.

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

@Scollurio "why is it wrong to rerelease a game that still might be a NEW game for some?" Because individuals assume no new games are being made for absolutely no reason but fear of the remaster/definitive editions/ports apocalypse right before the big events. Its not wrong, it makes perfect business sense.

@get2sammyb @memoryman3 EA has priorities, among other publishers. The mentality that EA and others are doing this out spite of Nintendo thats insane. I'll give you that it is coincidental, if theres money to be made publishers won't look away. Nintendo simply don't fit into their priorities whereas MS & Sony do. Nuff said. Nintendo needs third parties more than third parties need Nintendo: Wii U and to an lesser extent 3DS proves that.

Topic: Mass Effect Trilogy = supposedly starving individuals for next gen games = Early days = Next Mass Effect title due next year? = Dual reveal = More money to be made. Once more new game reveals will take place at the big events.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Idk if I'd buy this. I already own the first two games on PC and of course I grabbed the third on Wii U for gamepad use controlling teammates, Played the first a decent ways into the game, then decided screw it, and just jumped to the third one because it had a built in story reel with choices for the first two games. I played a decent ways into ME3, then lost interest and never got back to it.

Knowing me, I'll probably buy it just because I'm a compulsive completionist that has to own every good game on every system.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

The only game in the series that I've played was #3 on the Wii U. I thought it was an amazing game - played it twice and loved every minute of it. While I'm generally a fan of updated re-releases, I do think that I can pass on this one.

Heiki

Heiki said:

I did get the third game for my Wii U because it was cheap enough, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's just me. Then again, I had a hard time knowing what was actually happening in the game.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I got 2 on PS3, beat it. Not my cup of tea. Skipped 3, skipped the trilogy, will gladly skip it again.

I wonder why EA never made a Dead Space Trilogy.

Splat

Splat said:

I have beat ME 2 and 3 countless times. It blows my mind when people say the first one is there favorite. It's a good game don't get me wrong but outside of maybe story 2 and 3 blow it out of the water...

I don't own a PS4 yet but would buy again in a heart beat.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

I already played the trilogy on the PS3 and sunk over 400 hours into the game through replays, completion runs and platinum trophy farming. I'm not up for it again. The only next-gen console that NEEDS the ME trilogy is the Wii U. Much as I love the Ladon - a Reaper Blackstar and Hydra love child - I wanted to be able to explore the myriad of relationships and decisions without having to feel hyper-competitive and completionistic because of the stupid time stamps on trophies and my online profile. I wanted to see Conrad Verner on the ME3 SE, but no, EA has to act all high and mighty and treat Nintendo and Sony both like second-class citizens.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Played a little of 3 and its a really decent game, looking forward to finishing it off but I'm never going to play something I've played previously.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

Re-purchasingisn't an issues if I really enjoy playing them, and they include extras like DLC. Think I'll pass on GTA V for PS4. I'm not investing all that time again to build characters, online achievements, and complete all the missions. That's almost like starting Skyrim from scratch after putting in 100+ hours. Only if the stats and trophies can be transferred will I consider re-purchasing GTA V.

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

@memoryman3 Look at that article more carefully (VG analysis) and it still won't change anything i said.

'Wii consoles are still selling in large numbers, but it's clear games released on the HD platforms are where the money currently lies - bar a few select hits such as Just Dance and Nintendo's own output." Bolded is the key. Nintendo can have the highest install base of them all, it won't do anything if the third parties don't profit.

hammergrantN7

hammergrantN7 said:

That's one series that id love to play on ps4 and would be quote happy to play again. Absolutely lobe mass effect

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

I will most likely wait for a Price drop on this game before I getting it and hopefully the missing DLC will be included in the PS4 version.

IronManDS

IronManDS said:

If it's a true PS4 experience, I'm there. If it's the equivalent of what Sony did with God of War 1 and 2, I'll pass. (Love me some GoW! Wanted so much more out of the PS3 "upgrades")