Sony: There's an Amazing Big Title Coming to the PlayStation Vita

And it's not an indie game

Shahid Kamal Ahmad clearly saw the poll results to our PlayStation Vita reaction article overnight. The senior business development manager at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe – who spends more time on Twitter than he does asleep – is responsible for a number of the indie games coming to the system, but he’s also hinted that there’s something “big” on the way.

“There is an amazing big title coming to the Vita,” he wrote on Twitter. “I can’t tell you anything about it, except that you are going to be hooked for hours.” Considering his involvement with smaller titles, Ahmad later clarified that it’s not an indie game that he’s alluding to. “Hooked for hours ‘a day’,” he added. “Clue: not indie. And: talk about one title doesn’t preclude others.”

Does Minecraft count as an indie game these days? We reckon that it would fit the bill, and developer Mojang has shown some interest in bringing the cult hit to Sony’s handheld in the past. Otherwise, Polyphony Digital is on the verge of making a big announcement, which we suppose could feature the Vita. What do you think that Ahmad's hinting at? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com, twitter.com]

Epic

Epic said:

Grand Turismo 6 or Cross Play confirmed? or maybeis just a whole new game for Vita.

The only other title with that exact description is Monster Hunter but capcom already said that they don't have any plans for it.

EDIT: Or Bioshock?

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@ Sammy this is so funny, because your main article is stating that their will no be any big announcements. xD I LoL so hard if GT vita comes and maybe a GTA spinoff ^^ ... Minecraft is still an indie..... Independent developer.....

rjejr

rjejr said:

Would people really buy a $249 Vita for Minecraft?

And is one game enough? I see the smart twitter addict said no - "talk about one title doesn’t preclude others"

And are games the biggest issue or is it the $ and exorbitant memory card prices?

Well I guess if Sony cut their predictions for the Vita from 16 million to 7 million to 5 million they really aren't planning on making any effort to sell any.

Maybe Sony is smart enough to realize in order to have a successful PS4 launch they need to sacrifice the Vita. Nintendo had/has a bunch of 3DS games come out from their own developers who could have been working on WiiU games. Why move the Lugii's Mansion sequel from the Gamecube to the 3DS when the WiiU is coming out and in need of games? Companies have priorities, Sony has the PS4.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@rjejr o rly? Abandon ship? Leave us high n dry? I'd be aaangry lol! There's a balance somewhere Sony's gotta find, or they'll keep alienating me into my laptop's arms : (

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@charlesnarles Yeah, he does not mind that ;) Hypocrite people ^^ I will buy everything of playstation but this guy want someone to have the dreamcast all over again;) ( Ps vita = dreamcast) . For the information rejejr no first party studie is working on vita (A**holes)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Sanquine - I'm going to guess English isn't your first language, which is fine, but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, other than we have opposing viewpoints on the matter. If you are saying no 1st party Sony studio is working on Vita game, well that kind of proves my point. As for my constant Dreamcast comparisons - just because the weatherman says it's going to rain doesn't mean he wants it to.

@charlesnarles - "There's a balance somewhere Sony's gotta find"

That's my point. I think their balance this year is to do whatever it takes to sell more PS4 consoles. Maybe they're afraid if they push the Vita they do so at the expense of the PS4? People only have so much money, if they promote a price cut $200 Vita next to a $400 PS4 maybe people will choose only 1, and Sony doesn't want that 1 to be the Vita, they want to sell the PS4, hence no Vita price cut. And not many AAA games.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@rjejr Good guess, thanks for pointing me on that my english is not my strong point. Hmm, luckely for me i can speak 4 languages ^^ The average american can only speak english ( writing is something else xD >>>your or you're)

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@rjejr Luigi's Mansion 2 was made for the 3DS and the 3DS alone. It was never intended to be made on the GameCube. It was also made by Next Level Games, not Nintendo. They had them do that so EAD could make New Super Mario Bros and a new Zelda just for Wii U. So you're, basically, completely wrong there I'm afraid. If Sony cut the Vita I won't be buying a PS4. Why would I buy another PlayStation when if its going wrong Sony just kill the machine rather than try and sort it out?

DaltonCarl

DaltonCarl said:

Minecraft will not be on Vita till the launch of PS4, there are current plans for it to hit PS4 at the moment. I really want a GT6 or really any GT!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Sanquine - English is a stupid language, even moreso in writing. When the English language is combined with the emoticons, sarcasm and the lack of verbal tonal cues it's difficult to understand someone's meaning. Like if you were calling me an @hole for my opinion or Sony an @hole for not making 1st party Vita games. I tend not to reply to people who call me obscene names so I was giving you the benefit of the doubt :-)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@rastamadeus - "Why move the Lugii's Mansion sequel from the Gamecube to the 3DS"

Guess I thought it would be understood that I was referring to making a sequel to a home console game on a handheld rather than continuing the series on a new home console but as my above post addressed sometimes things are lost in translation. To be clear, I never thought Luigi's Mansion was getting a sequel on the Gamecube, what I meant was since Luigi's Mansion was a home console game I thought it would make more sense to make it's sequel on a home console, but I feet Nintendo decided to make the sequel - even if they didnt' make it themselves - on it's poorly selling handheld to increase the handhelds sales as I feel Nintendo's priority is on it's handheld division and not it's home console. Which is the opposite to Sony, whom I feel is much more interested in it's it's home console than it's handheld division.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@rjejr Sorry but absolutely everything you have said there is wrong. And God knows what the Vita is like if the 3DS is "poorly selling" - good grief. Have you played LM2? Or even the original? It's a poor fit on a home console and makes sense on a portable, even more so now there are smaller, more puzzley mansions. It's made to be picked up, played, put down, come back later. It's also not one of their big franchises so how you think it'd be a system seller worthy of leading the Wii U is beyond me. But I'm not going to comment any more on it lest I be accused of being a Nintendo fanboy purely for liking games you don't get on a Sony machine...

As for priorities, no. Their priorities are on their machines. The 3DS line up is barren compared to the Wii U (from Nintendo) as they try to improve it's fortunes and Sony clearly need to make Vita sing sweetly if they want cross play to be anything more than a gimmick. If not then it smacks of betrayal to Vita owners who would think wisely about buying any other Sony console.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@rastamadeus Well said ( The last part > Why would i even buy another sony console than !) . I only do not agree with LM2. I would love to see that game on my Wii U :D I played it on the gamecube and loved it... However, LM2 is awesome on 3ds as it is:D

Azikira

Azikira said:

Maybe they actually started working on Bioshock Vita? Hah, that'll be the day!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'd love a WRPG like Mass Effect or Deus Ex but it's probably not either of those. GTA San Andreas Stories is long overdue.

neumaus

neumaus said:

@Sanquine I love your enthusiasm! :D I hope this announcement is something many Vita fans will be able to enjoy and I also hope Sony doesn't abandon us anytime soon >_>
But the Vita has good support this year! Ys, Muramasa Rebrith, Totori+, Lego Chima, etc. :)
I just wish I didn't have to wait until the end of the year for most of them! :<
(But I do have to say even if he perhaps antagonized you I don't appreciate you implying Americans are stupid since they only learn one language. It's actually a stereotype and many Americans are bilingual, like myself. And I completely understand your English, there's nothing wrong with it :) )

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

Bigger than any upcoming 3DS games? The Vita is still waiting for it's killer app so hopefully for Vita owners, this is it. I want a Vita but the games aren't there right now and it's overpriced. If a redesign came around, I might get it just because. For now, I'm happy with my 3DS.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Minecraft would seem like the most obvious answer at this juncture. Remember, the title released on Xbox Live this time last year, so if Microsoft had an exclusive one year deal, this would coincide with that. But we'll see. Whatever it turns out to be, I hope it's good.

JGMR

JGMR said:

I REALLY hope it'll be a Gran Turismo he's hinting about...or...The Getaway HD...

Valky

Valky said:

I don't really have a "bring me this and I will insta-buy VITA this very moment", if it is good like he says then it's another +1 of reasons for me to get one, right now I can't really make up my mind, I admit the 3DS is getting on me a little more each day :)