Just How Good Does Borderlands 2 Look on PlayStation Vita?

Posted by Kell Andersen

Shots fired

One of the defining characteristics of the Borderlands franchise, aside from its salacious susceptibility for stupendous sums of loot, is its gorgeous and distinct art style. In a sea of brown realistic shooters, it's incredibly refreshing to see a series that so wholeheartedly embraces a more cartoony style. It is therefore imperative that the upcoming PlayStation Vita port of Borderlands 2 does a faithful job of recreating said unique visuals.

Luckily for us, Gearnuke has snapped these handy screenshots that compare the PC and Vita editions of the game, and the results are quite striking. Understandably, the handheld version isn't quite as sharp or detailed as its PC counterpart, nor does it display as diverse a colour palette. However, port house Iron Galaxy Studios seems to have done a smashing job of nailing the franchise's painterly look and feel, and the very thought of this art style on our vivid OLED screens is giving us major frissons.

What do you make of this comparison? Do you plan on indulging in a bit of handheld vault hunting? Push your love over the borderlands in the comments section below.

[via gearnuke.com]

That's better than I expected. Obviously the draw distance isn't as good and the resolution is lower, but the latter certainly won't matter on the smaller screen. Now I guess we just need to see it moving...

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

It looks great for the Vita, I hope it's a solid 30FPS. I really want an excuse to uninstall Borderlands 2 on my PS3, but I won't pay more than $25-30.

Epic

Epic said:

Still images of a cutscene doesn't convince me, just give a gameplay trailer already. The only thing I notice on this screenshot is the fact is even more cel-shaded than before.

greaseman85

greaseman85 said:

I'm more interested in how well it plays on the horrible Vita analog sticks. Shooters on the Vita that require precision aiming so far have not been good, so I'm really not expecting much. Hopefully there'll be a demo to try out before plunking down 30-40 bucks on an unplayable game.

RawShark

RawShark said:

@greaseman85 ugh, such negativity. There's nothing wrong with the analogues- Killzone proved with a decent auto assist the Vita has shown it can make a damn fine FPS. On the other hand, COD proved that some developers won't hesitate to make a half arsed version of a big franchise for the system. While we haven't seen much of Borderlands yet I remain cautiously optimistic.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Doesn't look terrible. I'll probably end up pre-ordering this at some point.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

It's got that Fallout tint to it on Vita for sure. I still feel like BL is a big fat 2-d FO rip after playing #1 for a while, and now the lighting matches even more strongly. Similarities far outweigh the differences, says this observer [edit: looks amazing for a portable device. Mentally comparing this to 6 Golden Coins for example]

Grieva

Grieva said:

The vita has plenty of capability, I'm confident it will run well and be a worthwhile purchase, it will be good to have a free roamer shooter to play on the move. Agreed, a demo needs to come out to give confidence to potential buyers. It hacks me off when developers forgo a demo, demo's can be make or break.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Looks pretty decent. I think its gonna be another win. They won't port it and leave it half finished because nobody will buy it. Vita owners aren't daft. Still need to have a go of it on ps3 and I still need to try out killzone mercenary.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Well, I have this pre ordered. I'm just hoping it doesn't use swiping, tapping, or any other substitute for a button. I have nothing against touch screens, in fact I rather like them, but FPS on Vita always have some melee attack or grenade action that gets triggered by accident because the square button sits too close to the edge of the screen. Happened to me in CoD Declassified, happened to me in Killzone. It's a small thing, but one that really aggravated me...

seeafish

seeafish said:

@Sanquine reason for is simple:
More humans = moar negativity
As soon as a community grows we are quickly reminded of all the sour people that exist out there...

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

I expected better, but it doesn't look bad either. Just that that looks like how Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS is in comparison to PC; you'd expect Vita to come closer since it has more processing power. It'll be a decent port at the least, but it certainly doesn't look like it'll be amazing.

3Above

3Above said:

I think comparing it to screenshots from the PS3 version would be better. Im not sure but id be willing to bet the pc version looks better than the console versions so of course the handheld port will pale in comparison.

AeroZeppelin

AeroZeppelin said:

@3Above that's exactly what i was thinking why are they comparing vita to pc anyway they should be comparing it to ps3 of course the Vita version will look bad in comparison to PC but you gotta admit in comparison to PC it does look pretty good

Splat

Splat said:

I hope the heheh meant you were joking because that's not true at all.

-CraZed-

-CraZed- said:

I am so looking forward to this game on Vita. Played it on PC and I'll play it on VIta as well, right along all those saved up VIta titles I have in my PS+ account.

Cannot wait for it.