Sony Is Happy to Let Microsoft Reveal Its Next Console First

Anything you can do, we can do better

In between heated sessions of Ridge Racer (probably), Sony president Kaz Hirai has hinted that he’s happy for Microsoft to announce its next generation console first. Speaking with British newspaper The Times, the former SCE overlord said: "Why go first when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?" Feel free to submit your answers on a postcard.

Some websites have extrapolated the statement to mean that Sony will once again be late to the next generation party, but we reckon that the likeable executive is purposely being coy. Judging by the recent rumours, it’s too late for either of the platform holders to adjust their respective system’s specifications at this stage, so he’s presumably alluding to the general messaging of the reveals in the quote.

Still, it’ll be interesting to see which manufacturer does blink first. We get the sneaking suspicion that we won’t have to wait very long to find out.

[via thetimes.co.uk, uk.ign.com]

Azikira

Azikira said:

I think Nintendo will~
Oh wait, they already did... D: UHM UHM UHM I DUNNO!!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I don't care who breaks the silence first, I just want one of the two companies to reveal its next console soon.

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

Of course, How else will they know what new gimmick/features to blatantly copy.

moomoo

moomoo said:

Um... what? It's not like Sony or Microsoft will rapidly change the specs of their machines after their competitor unviels their system. Just put out the best system you can put out and call it a day.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Kaz is awesome, easily the most likeable executive at any of the big 3.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I'm fairly sure he's not really that serious lol. Specs take planning and he knows that more than most. I remember reading an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi around the launch of GT5 talking about him being worried about others coping some features. He explained that by the time a game is ready to announce features, it's already usually too late for others to change their game to 'copy' ideas. It is more likely they also had the same idea.

Anyways, I'm really interested to see how Sony improves on the PS3's OS. They did a phenomenal job with Vita's OS, so I'm sure they'll do a bang on job for "PS4".

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Maybe Sony will reveal the Xbox 720, and MS will reveal the PS4...you know, just to mess with everyone's heads at E3.

rjejr

rjejr said:

It's always better to have the other guys ANNOUNCE first. Like how the challenger ALWAYS walks into a boxing match arena before the champion. You let the other guy announce first, let him get his buzz for 2 days and then announce and you can have buzz for a week.

The real importance is coming to market first, not announcing.

Magi

Magi said:

I'm good until at LEAST 2016 with games I still need to play or finish. No need to announce anything before then. :)

hydeks

hydeks said:

I personally think Microsoft will reveal their next console at E3, and Sony will wait until later in the fall to show off theirs. I see Microsoft needing to upgrade the 360, but the ps3 I don't see needing a new system so quick, thanks to it having blu-ray over dvd. Hard to say, I just hope the next PlayStation is an awesome system :) (and The Last Guardian as a launch game....or just released would be nice)

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

My concern is an excellent list of "amazing" games, that don't require unnecessary gimmicks to play, seamless integration for Vita, a refined controller, and A+ multi-player/network/communication features. Sprinkle some magic dust on the PSN store and system interface, and we're good. Doesn't matter who goes first. Just make sure you bring the best to the table.