BioWare Is Thinking About Bringing the Mass Effect Trilogy to PS4

Posted by Kell Andersen

Going, going, paragon

An updated re-release of BioWare's celebrated Mass Effect trilogy may be making its way to the PlayStation 4, if recent staff tweets are to be believed. Last December, Twitter user Shinobi602 asked studio big wig Aaryn Flynn if there were any plans to bring the three part space opera to the next generation system, and we've been fervently refreshing the page ever since.

Finally, in the last 24 hours, the executive decided that it was time to share some news. "We have discussed that internally," he stated. "If we can put solid plans together we'll share. Great to hear that you're keen." However, if you're wondering why Flynn took so long to reply, we'd wager that the staffer has probably had his sights set squarely on the new game in the well loved franchise. More specifically, he's probably been spending vast quantities of his time trying to come up with an ending that doesn't destroy the Internet again.

Would you be interested in an updated re-release of the Mass Effect trilogy, or are you holding out for the fourth game in the series? BioWare your heart on your sleeve in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com]

Related Games

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Man would this be a slap in the face for Wii U owners who instead of getting the trilogy got three at full price.

@Jazzer94 It's already happened, I'm afraid:

Untitled

Having said that, probably would not buy these again. I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, but I don't really understand why people go ga-ga for them. Once was more than enough for me.

Itachi

Itachi said:

I think the days of exclusive 3rd party games really is coming to an end, and to be honest in my opinion that's the way it should be. Consoles should be able to sell themselves, that's one of the things I like about PS4/ PS3.

N711

N711 said:

I d rather they focus on ME4.. Just like Id rather ND focus on UC4 first :P then these yea :)

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

as long as mass effect 2 works properly this time (so many frame rate issuses and the sound sinc was really bad)

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@Jazzer94 yeah well EA turned away from Nintendo when Nintendo refused to use origin as their online platform that's why they did so much s*** stirring about them (and sadly others beleved it hence why Nintendos reputation with third partys is in such a bad state)

Epic

Epic said:

At this rate, most of the Next gen games are going to be ports from previous gen games. :/

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@get2sammyb Yeah my post wasn't very clear I was referring to the fact Wii U missed trilogy last time even though it released same time as three on Wii U, I guess this could be consider a second slap then if it happens either way unless this has some worthwhile improvements and additions I'll just stick to my copy of trilogy on PS3.

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

@Jazzer94
I myself bought it for Wii U to show my support in hope they would make the trilogy for Wii U.

How wrong I was ._.

AeroZeppelin

AeroZeppelin said:

Just think somewhere @Gamer83 is exploding with anger about this and has probably set his PS4 on fire or has thrown it out the window :D haha oh how i miss you Gamer83 :(

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

I have three in my backlog and really need to give it a go. Not fussed about a trilogy really but then again I still haven't played the game.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I would play it again in a second. Best trilogy gaming has ever had — there, I said it.

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

@ShogunRok
My favorite too :D
My second favorite trilogy will probably be Dragon Age :P
Even with Dragon Age 2 if they make 3 better then that and Origin.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@Tsuzura You've got a point — if Inquisition turns out to be brilliant then Dragon Age will probably be one of my favourites too.

JayMiller1988

JayMiller1988 said:

Second favorite series of last-gen, first would be Assassin's Creed, but ME2 and ME3 are masterpieces, and ME1 was pretty good.

Either way, wouldn't invest in this, have the trilogy for PS3.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@Tsuzura

Murader Sheilds the hero we needed.

Any way I'd be down. I play mass effect every year so getting A version to play on the PS4 would be awesome.

I'm hoping we get a Dragon Age collection over the summer to make way for Inqustion.

3rdEyeMind

3rdEyeMind said:

I support this because some people missed out on it, especially Sony players, such as my friend.
The reason why he won't go back to it is because it is a long, time consuming, detailed trilogy and the new consoles are now out.

Putting them on the new consoles could see players like that give it a go.

It's a good job ME4 is going to be a total new start. That way, if people don't give the old trilogy a go, they can hop into the universe on a fresh take at the same time as the long-time fans......i just hope this new take is as good.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@DaftPlayStation

Ah yes, very funny. Despite what everybody thinks I'm not so mad that I'm going to get rid of a $400 console that is only a few months into its lifecycle that I still think has a chance to be good if the people at Sony get their heads out of their a$$es. Likewise, if the current trends continue (which I'm not ruling out) and the PS4's library ends up sucking, it ends up sucking, wouldn't be the first system I ever bought that I regretted. The Gamecube still ranks in the top 5 of my worst purchases ever.

Anyway, I haven't gone anywhere, I frequent this website every day and plan to post in the forums on topics started by the few users here who I get along with and have had good discussions with. I also plan to comment on reviews for games I'm interested in. But I said I wouldn't post in other topics so other users don't have to deal with me (and so I don't have to deal with Sanquine) and I've kept up my end of the bargain and will continue to do so as long as I'm not called out. I will ask though, if you feel the need to say sh*t about me, go right ahead, some random person on the internet saying stuff about me isn't going to ruin my day but please leave out the @ before my username because once that symbol is put in I get sent an e-mail. I could turn off the notifications but I don't want to have to do that because there are a few people here I still want to converse with so I'd like to know if they notify me. Others, not so much. So, please, just don't put @ in front of my name, and I'll return the favor. That way you don't bother me and I don't bother you. Thanks.

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

I would love to play through Mass Effect trilogy on PS4, since I then finally could record my playthrough

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

DaftPlayStation

Don't care about the 'trolling,' I'm not the internet police. Just asking that you leave the @ out in front of my username in the future. Thanks.

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

Oh yes please, I want this bluray collection allover my face Sony. I'm still not done with ME3

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Gamer83 glad to see you didn't leave us man I can agree with some of your frustrations with the ps4 although I haven't got mine yet I plan to pretty soon just to get it out the way while I have the extra cash left from my income tax but so far I don't see not one game I even want for it yet. I think next year will be way better and I wouldn't worry I'm sure by the time its all said and done the ps4s library will be spectacular
I loved the game cube it had a few really awesome games I rather that than my ps2 actually. Metroid prime to me kills anything that generation
I think overall the worst system I've ever spent my money on and I hate to say it but no doubt it would be the Wii the only thing I really used it for was to play classics but whatever I know I'm rambling but glad to have you back

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@LDXD

LOL, I'm the opposite, I think the Wii is a great console, in fact, until 2011 I easily used it as much, maybe more than my PS3. Gamecube though, well outside of Smash Bros. Melee, REmake, RE 4, MGS Twin Snakes and Metroid Prime 1, I found nothing on that system worthwhile and believe me I tried to. It was actually the GC that forced me more over to the Sony side, I liked PSone but N64 had enough that I didn't feel I needed a second console. But being older at the time and having the money to do so, I realized with GC it just didn't make sense to stick to one console, especially if it wasn't delivering like I had hoped, so bought a PS2 and don't think I ever made a better purchase than that. Still my favorite system of all time along with SNES. Those are my 1 and 1A.

By the way, I never went anywhere, I wasn't going to let a few people completely turn me away from a website I enjoy (I haven't left Nintendo Life either, and if you can tolerate what goes on there, you can tolerate anything), I'm just going to limit what I comment about. I wouldn't even have commented here if Daftplaystation hadn't made his comment which wound up in my e-mail box. But, good to know there are still some people willing to converse with me in a non-a-holish way whether it's positive about PlayStation or negative.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Gamer83 my favorite purchase its a tie with the NES and SNES well I didn't buy them back then my dad did
I did enjoy my ps2 though but back then I remember playing prime more than anything and f-zeroX I think it was and Eternal darkness but now that I really think about it I loved kingsfield and some of the castlevania games on the ps2 so I guess its a tie for me lol good times back then your right the cube didn't have a whole lot to choose from

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@LDXD

NES is another good one, but I'd probably put it behind the Genesis and Dreamcast on my list. Dreamcast is real high on my list. That was one I got for Christmas but if I had bought it for myself I wouldn't have regretted it for a second, even with only two years on the market it built up a tremendous library and I'll point that system as one for why there is absolutely no excuse for PS4's first year to look as crappy as it does with only indie games and last-gen ports. A system with so much power and momentum and Sony is poised to flush it if it isn't careful and that's what frustrates me.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Gamer83 yeah one big problem now is how long these games take to develop the Wii u suffering from this also all this time and all we got so far is a Mario game and dktf
As far the ps4 I have a feeling I'm going to get the system and have nothing to play until September but I'm not to worried because of dark souls 2 for the ps3 will keep me occupied till then
Its what I don't understand like Nintendo should have known to have a blockbuster released with the system Sony also but nope
I remember back in the day a system would have way more games at the get go or right after
Don't know man I'm kinda burnt out on fps I might look into wolfinstein in may most the games I want don't come out till the end of the year but I know if I don't get the thing now this money will burn a hole in my pocket and I'll spend it on something stupid lol

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@LDXD

I like FPS so I can't say I'm burnt out on them, but more variety is definitely welcome. What I'm looking at right now is inFamous, MGS Ground Zeroes and The Evil Within. If it comes out this year, The Order. I've ruled out any possibility of Uncharted 4 because Sony thinks it's acceptable for a GOTY Edition of TLoU to be its big exclusive release this year and I still expect DriveClub (a game that should've been out by now) and Watch Dogs to be massive disappointments even after their delays. It's a dry year all the way around. PS3 and 360 will get some stuff, 3DS seems to have some good stuff, but the new home consoles? It doesn't look good. And that's before taking into account the real possibility that some of these games expected to be good, like inFamous or The Evil Within, could suck. The thing is, no matter how good or bad in quality Titanfall is, it will be a system seller for Xbox One. MS is throwing a party for that damn game, Sony doesn't advertise at all. You'd think there would be something for inFamous, but I haven't seen a single thing outside of posters in GameStop.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Wow, more ports? Actually though, I'm not upset. I would buy this if it came to PS4. I have the first 2 Mass Effect games on PC and Mass Effect 3 on Wii U. I played a couple hours of the first and third entries, but got sidetracked on other games and never got back to them. It's whatever for me. I figure this year will pretty much just be PS3 ports anyways, which is (I guess) the next best thing to backwards compatibility. I'd rather buy PS4 versions of older games than rent them over PSNow. It's cool. Screw it just port the entire PS3 library that's worth porting and I'll scoop it all up.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

I don't know I tried these games on Xbox 360 and I just couldn't get into them. I guess they just weren't my cup of tea.

cherrypoppa

cherrypoppa said:

Wow dreams really do come true!! Best trilogy of last gen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

banacheck

banacheck said:

I don't mind ports because usually it's not the original dev's porting the game, leaving them to work on whatever thay are making. But saying that I already own Mass Effect 1-3, so I don't really mind if thay do or don't.

ToddlerNaruto

ToddlerNaruto said:

I'd much rather have EA release the Dead Space Trilogy collection already...if they make it PS4/XB1 only I will be pissed and upset.