Rumour: Is Crash Bandicoot Plotting a Return on PS4?

Spinning around

Sony has talked about Crash Bandicoot a lot this year. The former PSone mascot has hit the headlines frequently over the past 10 months, partly because of PlayStation 4 architect Mark Cerny’s role as executive producer on the 90s classic. However, rumours are now starting to spiral that the protagonist could be plotting a return to the platform where he made his name.

For those out of the loop, the character currently belongs to Activision. Along with Spyro the Dragon, developer Naughty Dog’s original trilogy of platformers (and spin-offs) were produced under contract, and the brand later reverted to its original owner Universal Interactive Studios, which – after copious name changes – eventually merged with Activision in 2008.

The cocky character has been dormant at his new home for some time, though. The poorly received Crash: Mind over Mutant was the last title released in the series over five years ago, and it didn’t even hit the PlayStation 3. There were a couple of additional titles in production during that time – Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters developer High Impact Games was working on a new kart racer, for example – but the series has seriously dropped off the radar recently.

Alas, European website Eskimo Press has it on good authority that the character’s making a comeback courtesy of platform holder Sony. While the site uses conspicuously uncited sources to state its claim, there has been plenty of talk from the manufacturer that it wants to recapture the spirit of the PSone days. The accessible architecture of the PS4 and the focus on bizarre indie games such as Octodad: Dadliest Catch should help its cause – but bringing back an iconic 90s character would complete the nostalgic refresh.

And then we have an Easter egg from the firm’s recent ‘For the Players’ commercial in Europe. The spot shows a street sign, which bizarrely includes a black and white image of the hero himself. Above the character, there’s an arrow pointing upwards to an orange diamond, which boasts a similar hue to Sony Computer Entertainment’s logo. The reference is far too specific to be unintentional.

Of course, that’s not enough evidence to suggest that the character’s definitely making a return – but the signs are certainly pointing towards something. We’re not sure how well Crash Bandicoot would sell in an era dominated by military shooters, but the unexpected success of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time suggests that the potential's there. Would you pick up a new Crash Bandicoot for the PS4? Run towards the camera in the comments section below.

[via eskimopress.com, neogaf.com]

MrHilster

MrHilster said:

I would throw all my money at my PC monitor if Crash was announced for PS4 today! I <3 Crash!

@FullbringIchigo If it is happening, I doubt Naughty Dog would do it. There are plenty of studios that could do the brand great justice, though - Sanzaru immediately springs to mind.

divinelite

divinelite said:

I will be happy even if it will be a midsized game, just say $20 crash game will do justice

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I'll play pretty much anything but military FPS. I wasn't ever a Crash fan back on PS1 but I'd give it a shot on the new console.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

Sanzaru would be a great deal for the franchise, they did a excellent job at Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, a work even better than the Sucker Punch.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@ferrers405 Sanzaru did do a great job with Thieves in Time, but they didn't do a better job than Sucker Punch. While I don't like using review scores, Thieves in Time had a lower score than the other Sly Coopers, at least I think it scored lower than the other Sly games.

banacheck

banacheck said:

I remember the Offical PlayStation Mag did an interview with ND about Cash bandicoot, ND was saying thay have had ideas of bringing him back, some of the ideas where a open world cash bandicoot game. I'll dig out my PS magazine to see what issue it was for you's as its a good read, i'm going back around 6 months back now maybe a little longer not sure off hand but i would like to see another CB game.

Forgot to add this is the add for the PS4 in the UK at the moment,

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

@Lelouch Scores don't matter (at least your are counting for sequels and sells) and yes they did push the game to new visual style/art, a good gameplay while maintaining its roots (collectibles and other stuff).

rickystainesStaff

rickystaines said:

Yes please! Here's hoping PS4 brings a spot of colour back to the increasingly beige world of video games! :)

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

Him and Spyro need a come back and crash back being the true mascot for playstation. I miss those guys.

MasterBlue

MasterBlue said:

I don't see why Crash shouldn't return honestly. People would buy the PS4 just to see the return of the legendary Bandicoot! Sony and Activision needs to make this game happen. I would love to see a Crash Bandicoot game that sticks to what made it amazing to play back during the PS1 days.

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

@Ginkgo My god......if you think out it could work, "you owe me....." when he was talking about being in "chains", that could mean being stuck with Activision!
Crash confirmed for U4!

banacheck

banacheck said:

Here is apart of that interview with co-founder of the Uncharted studio Andrew Gavin, mixed him up with ND of today as Andrew Gavin left ND before the first Uncharted game but this is going back a fair 6 odd moths back now.

AG Crash needs a total reboot. There’s an opportunity to reset the history, and go back to his creation story and the original conflict with Cortex. In that context, you could reprise classic Crash 1 and 2’s settings and villains. It would make sense to use a more modern, free-roaming style. I would concentrate on Looney Tunes-esque animation and really addictive action. That’s what we did with the original Crash, and there’s no reason it couldn’t be done today. Given the current Crash games, people forget that he was once cool. Our Crash had a certain whimsical edge to him. Sure, it was goofy – but it wasn’t dumb.

But i don't think without these guys you would see a true Crash game anyway as its been that long, look at Batman Origins for some reason didn't pick-up good reviews same as Bioshock2. But these games are not bad just not improved upon, take R&C thay tryed to do something different didn't work at all and thats the people that made it. This is going from todays games taking a game from years ago and making it today would be difficult, play a game from years ago some don't hold up today some do but still not how you remembered them.

skywalker0794

skywalker0794 said:

I have a great feeling that it really will be announced!! I don't see any other point of including it in new PS4 video. It's clearly a hint and I can actually see what the people at Eskimo Press have said. Mark my words! can't wait for it!

TehPlayerHecz

TehPlayerHecz said:

I would shed a tear to see my favorite childhood game make a comeback to the PS ecosystem, mostly for the PS4 but a Vita version would be nice as well :D

WMcQueen_11

WMcQueen_11 said:

All I've been wanting ever since the disaster with crash mind over mutant and crash of the titans is to just have the old crash back. I was even ok with crash tag team racing and the wrath of cortex. Change is ok but Activision took change a little too far and won't do anything to fix the mistakes they've made. If Whoever ends up owning the Crash Bandicoot saga wether it's Activision or Sony, all they need to do is bring back the old crash that everyone knew and loved. If they were to bring back crash even if they changed the type of game but kept the same figure from the start of the series, I would go out and buy a play station 4 just so I could play the game I knew and loved and I think if they were to release another crash game, they would be surprised with how successful it will be for them and for us.