You'll Be Able to Listen to Game Audio Through the PS4 Controller's Headphone Jack

Never stop playing

We’ve all been there: it’s late and everyone’s gone to bed, but you’re determined to keep playing. While you may have needed an expensive pair of cans in the past, though, the PlayStation 4 will allow you to plug a standard pair of iPod headphones into the DualShock 4 and stream full audio from the game that you’re playing.

Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida confirmed the news on Twitter, telling a fan that the controller’s jack can be used for either voice chat or game audio. “You can choose,” he explained, adding another checkbox to the console’s seemingly limitless list of features. We’re not betting against the system being able to prepare a perfect bowl of porridge at this point.

[via twitter.com, neogaf.com]

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Why would anyone with an ounce of sense use ipod earphones for anything other than spare string!?
This is good though, once I get to the 'too hot' stage of wearing the Pulse cans I switch to my wire Sony buds.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'm not at all surprised by this, but I'm glad it's been officially confirmed. I plan on buying a pair of Pulse Elites to use exclusively for gaming, although it's good to know that I can use my Sony stereo headset if I need/want to.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@Lelouch The Pulse headset is great, I doubt very much you'll be disappointed. As I say, they do get quite warm after a couple of hours though. I read somewhere that someone replaced the vinyl (?) cushion covers with foam ones from some similarly spec'd Sony wired cans, but I'm not about to do that.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@get2sammyb oh I see...;-)

Well, if anyone wants a good quality set of wired buds I very much recommend the Sony Smart Headset (NOT Live Headset).
I got a set from the bay for £15. Best in ear buds I've ever owned, and very much comparable to my friend's far more expensive shure buds.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

Seriously whoever designed this thing really did an awesome job. Such a small but useful feature.

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

This is great news! Maybe now I'll be able to move the Playstation to the living room @_@

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I predicted the game you could do that with the game audio. I might find this very helpful at the PS4 launch. My sister, her husband, and his little sister (also the girl I like), might be visiting when the PS4 comes out. So I'm thinking I could combine by desire to stay up night with the PS4 and I wouldn't have to worry about the PS4 making noise and waking poeple up with this neat feature. So I think this might be a very useful feature.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Sweeeet. I just got Sony MDR-XB500 40 mm 'phones. I love Sony headphones cause their older products have different features from the current, but aren't lacking tech-wise or sound-wise. And I assume they mean almost any normal headphones will work. I wanna try my old walkman's yellow headband ones : ) Excellent news, tho! I was considering replacing my stereo but forget it!

Ali247

Ali247 said:

I'm so happy with this new feature because, I always wanted surround sound without paying an expensive price

hydeks

hydeks said:

that's all great and very interesting, but alot of us spent the money on the Pulse headset for out PS3, will that still work on PS4? That's a better question ^-^

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Woooow yet another Big Check, Beacuse i do like the audio up when immersed in a damn good game!!! Pretty funny cuz i was thinking of getting a surround sound specifically for my systems use!!! XD But seeing the jack this was already Obvious and i thought it was genious i know theres pleanty of ppl with favorite headbuds that wish they could use them in game!!! Bravo once again sony for not making us buy an adapter for such a simple thing, Thats another thing i like about my new favorite controller!!!

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

Friggin sweet!!!! I will be using my beats by dre. I have a 7 month old and my girl wakes up at 6am for work so I've been using my old X-11, this will be extremely usefull. Very very nice feature. Just another reason to love Sony and be thankful I already payed for my Ps4.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

Does the Xbone have this feature? I really feel like this is the sort of thing that further down the track with word of mouth will help in PS4s favour.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@DoublezZ01 I feel like I should be on commission at this point, but, 5 years ago I bought a Sony DVD home cinema system to use with my PS3, HDMI pass through, optical in 5.1, for about £100. For when you can crank up the volume, it is quite fantastic.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

For some reason when I read this I immediately thought of the original Sega Genesis model with the headphone jack. Still this will be a handy feature.

OrbitScant

OrbitScant said:

Cool I'll use my House of Marley buds for this. The sound quality on them is way better than a standard I pod headset.

Wrigleykinnick

Wrigleykinnick said:

although very convenient, I own the front room so I play late. best part about being a 30year old gamer.