PlayStation Plus Expands to Vita in Style with Free Copies of Uncharted and Gravity Rush

Service launches next week

Frequent participants in the PlayStation Plus predictions post might want to pull up a pew – because the first Instant Game Collection update for PlayStation Vita beggars belief. Premium subscribers in Europe will be able to download free copies of both Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush when the service expands to the portable platform on 21st November. Other complimentary titles will include Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack and Chronovolt.

A firmware update (v2.0) will accompany the subscription service’s launch next week, adding anticipated features such as cloud storage and automatic updates to the handheld device. Brilliantly, the Vita will come with its own 1GB of online space, providing a total of 2GB alongside the PS3.

Two new titles will be added every month, with Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush sticking around for the foreseeable future. Of course, subscribers will also garner exclusive access to the usual array of discounts and full game trials. The best part is that existing PlayStation Plus subscribers will unlock all of the perks of the Vita expansion at no added cost.

“The Instant Game Collection across both platforms means players will have a constant library of 14 games and at least five new games a month, which means over 65 games a year for PS3 and Vita,” the platform holder noted in a press release.

Feel free to celebrate in the comments section below. Hang on – we’ll pop some Chic on the stereo.

Update: If you thought that the European update was good, then you’re going to be stoked by the North American refresh. Just like overseas, you'll get free copies of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush and Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack – but you'll also get complimentary access to Jet Set Radio, WipEout 2048 and Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP) as well. The free games will be available from 20th November in North America.

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

How does ps plus work, if I download one of the free games ps3 and vita, will I be able to keep it for as long as i'm a member or do they have a time limit .... would hate to get half way through a game and it be taken away.

tulaib_100

tulaib_100 said:

can i download all these vita games on my ps3 becuz em buying vita next month so i want to keep all these games with me and later transfer them from my ps3 to vita ???? is it possible

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

So the list gets updated, but as long as I download a game before it goes off list I can still play it? if this is the case i'll get a plus membership tonight!

WCamicase

WCamicase said:

@Dambuster Yeah, I am Plus member since the first week it was available and I have access to all the games I got from it since the release :)

@Dambuster Yeah, that's right. You don't even have to download it actually — just add it to your basket and go through the checkout, and it's yours for as long as you are a subscriber.

Savino

Savino said:

What did I said?! Uncharted free, you bloody unbelivers!!!

Guess someone on sony is listen to me!!

Savino

Savino said:

Bad thing I have both.... Bt I am happy for you guys!!! go grab those gems!!!!

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

Other then Uncharted It's like they Picked games right off my Wishlist. :D
It soooo much better then I thought it would be. I thought maybe we would get Uncharted OR gravity rush ,but now..my mind is just blown. When I saw gravity rush I actually let out a squeal so high pitched it was inaudible. This must be what a tween girl feels like at a Justin Beber concert.

Savino

Savino said:

Sony is doing it right!! And camon sony, I bought a second vita (for my wife play AC:liberation) now its your time to show some love!!! (happy as a kid even having both games already!!)

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I assumed Plus was a monthly subscription considering what you get but only £39.99 a year for 65 games.I don't understand how this can possibly work from a business perspective?

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

@OorWullie
I think they mostly give out games that have slowed down in sales and need a publicity boost or that have extra DLC to buy. Plus you need to keep your subscription active or you lose access to the games.

@OorWullie It's a good question — I've always pondered this too. Like ohhaime notes, it's good for selling DLC and promoting upcoming sequels. But I must admit, I'm not sure how it's financially viable at times either.

cyphid

cyphid said:

Dang! That's an amazing start! I own all of these games already however, for those who waited to play these games or need incentitive to pick up a Vita its all good!

Splat

Splat said:

I don't have a Vita but that is pretty sweet. If I was to ever get one Uncharted would be the first game I would get.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Can I subscribe on PSN with my digital funds?

Because I am dead broke in greenbacks thanks to Wii U.

And Dayum Sony way to launch in style.

This is a good..... 120 or so value in free games going by MSRP for the retial ones and the PSN price for the DD ones.

So this alone is more then double the value of the 50$ subscription.

My god.....This is freaking amazing.

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

@Pikachupwnage
Yes, You can use any cash you have in your PSN/SEN wallet to subscribe if you have a PS3. I don't think you can purchase it in the Vita store yet but I'm sure they will add it once the update goes up if you don't have a PS3.

I have to say Sony is sure making it easier for me to save up for a Wii U by giving me all these (practically) free games to play. If they can keep me busy enough not to buy any games through March I'll be able to afford a Wii U in time for monster hunter.

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

Morgan left these replies to comments about Dungeon Defenders on the US Playstation blog.

"Dungeon Defenders is in fact coming to Plus, free for members. We’ll have more on it next week! But there will also be more deals next week as well."
"Yep, this game will be coming next week for Plus users on PS3. We’ll have a post on it next week, but there you have it! =)"

Don also confirmed for sure that Vita game saves that are tied into the game can be uploaded separately to the cloud so you don't lose them when you delete a game. "You can upload just the game saves to the cloud."

Splat

Splat said:

Dungeon Defenders on PS3 next week for PS+? I will definitely be getting that if true.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think advertising PS+ will certainly help Vita sales this holiday without having to actually lower the Vita price. Well played Sony.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I already have Uncharted and Gravity Rush on physical media, but the nature of save data on Vita games makes it a lot harder to share them...unless you're okay with losing EVERYTHING, of course. So these freebies will be great news for my brother. :)

moomoo

moomoo said:

That is some crazy value right there. Arguably the best games on the system too, which is quite the interesting move by Sony. I suddenly want a Vita now.

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

My dreams of being able to move Ps1 and Mini save wirelessly between PS3 and Vita have been shattered. When asked if PS1 saves can be saved in the cloud Morgan replied "I’m afraid the cloud saves only work on PS Vita Game Save Data" :(

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

I seriously need to get a Vita asap! The first 2 games I was planning on buying were Uncharted and Wipeout. This is too awesome! :D

ZeD

ZeD said:

What a fantastic update. It is great that we get the games but the online storage is brill! I have 2 cards and it is a nightmare trying to sort them all out!

Make.Believe!

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

I'm just excited for Gravity Rush and Mutant Blobs Attack! And other games to come... not to giddy about the others. Also, why didn't SEGA release the other Dreamcast titles on Vita? Makes no sense...

goldgin

goldgin said:

how is the browser loading times? my wife can't put down my ipad so I'm looking for a tablet replacement for browsing and twitter...