Would You Like to Change Your PSN Username?

Functionality could be coming

It’s been nearing ten years since the PlayStation 3 launched, meaning that you’re likely to have aged considerably since the console deployed. As such, your PlayStation Network username may not be representative of your current personality – after all, nothing says mature adult quite like ‘xXBongoDongo69Xx’. Unfortunately, Sony doesn’t allow you to change your alias, meaning that the only way that you can abandon your bad teenage humour is by discarding all of your Trophies and transactions, too. Alas, the platform holder is at least considering a solution.

A questionnaire spotted by VGXNetwork asks how appealing you’d find the ability to change your PSN ID. It also lists other potential upgrades, such as a player reputation system and advanced skill-based matchmaking. We must admit, the capacity to down vote the screaming children that pop up in Call of Duty: Ghosts sounds tantalising to say the least. Additional options include login notifications, an ‘Appear Offline’ status, and a message synchronisation feature across all of the Japanese giant’s flagship formats.

To be honest, we find all of the suggested upgrades appealing – but we doubt that anyone would argue against overall service improvements. However, is there anything in the above survey that particularly tickles your fancy? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via vgxnetwork.com, eurogamer.net]

KAMIL92

KAMIL92 said:

I think what is more important than changing the username is the upgrade of sub accounts to master accounts after the user has turned 18. I am 21 now and i am still using sub account. I don't want to create another account because i don't want to lose those hard earned trophies.

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

I may finally be able to get rid of the name that I thought was good for some reason? Yay!

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Yep I every time I look at my PSN I'm reminded how stupid I was at coming up with names, I would like to make my PSN name the same as my NNID.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

Oh god yes, yes please let change my username....it seemed like a good choice back in 2008 but I'm frankly embarrassed by it now I'm at the grand age of 33.

Ridwaano

Ridwaano said:

Well my psn name is Ridwaano.. and that my name!:.. should i change my name then ? :D?

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Yes, I would love to change my username. I would have already done so if I could have. I'm not a big fan of my current one.

Swiket

Swiket said:

I'm fine with "Swiket" but the functionality would be nice, I guess.

NicolaHaydenStaff

NicolaHayden said:

After registering my original PSN account to my other half's account, I would love to get my old name back.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I actually if I could come up with something good. I've been using this username for everything game related which isn't exactly helping.

I actually did get laughed at once for having "zombie" in my name, on RDR's online. It was funny though cause I just so happened to pick Seth at the time, which coincidentally they were betting I'd have picked. I actually picked him cause hes so short and, well, its Seth.XD

Alpha

Alpha said:

Nah... I like my name BioAlpha. i use it everywhere and on everything. i am proud if it loll but still glad theres a new functionality coming however

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

Same as most are saying, my name back then was cool, but now its fairly ridiculous, I would love a change, and would even consider paying a nominal fee.

Clamedeus

Clamedeus said:

I would love to change my PSN ID. I just don't know what i would name it if i could. Haha.

I would like the other stuff on that survey as well.

Edit: Actually now that i think about it, the rep system would be a bad idea. Considering how abused it is on Xbox.

N711

N711 said:

All sounds good but not fond of personal rating because lots of people who bother rating others dont do it for the right reason.

SteveoKenobi

SteveoKenobi said:

i worry that a rep system could be abused.. interesting to see if this happen, and let see whats happens with the XBone version..

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

"after all, nothing says mature adult quite like ‘xXBongoDongo69Xx’"

Damn that was my first choice username but it was taken. Was that you Sammy?!

;)

Remixora

Remixora said:

God i really hope they allow this. My PSN name is so bad! Where do you find this survey?

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I've made 2 more accounts just because I keep thinking up better names, so being able to keep my trophies while changing my id would be fantastic.

AVahne

AVahne said:

It's already way too late; I already made a new account. Now if they were to allow account mergers, that'd be great.

BigDaddyT0101

BigDaddyT0101 said:

This 27yr old going by timmyblizzle on psn would love to get rid of his name. Note to self, dont drink and set up an account. Whats funny when your underage and inebriated is not so funny 8 years later

EyeDeeNO76

EyeDeeNO76 said:

@Swiket My network ID is not something trivial but relevant to the state of my mind when I think of Microsoft's Xbox and have been rocking my PSN ID since Dec. '08. I think I spent a month before I settled with my PSN ID and have no regrets of my choice.

Untitled

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

My user name is a mix of an abbreviation of my real name and the year I've purchased my PS3: fabmorais_2011. Not very clever or creative, and sometimes I'd rather change it, but I don't think I would even if I could.

As for the player rep system, I can see it being easily abused, specially in fighting games, where newer/weaker players would get downvotes all the time from more experienced/arrogant players.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Jazzer94
Ya, me too actually. I use JaxonH as my user name everywhere across the board, and is also my NNID for Wii U and 3DS. However, that user name was TAKEN on PSN when I set up my new PSN account back in 2012 when I bought a Vita. But, if we could change usernames, perhaps whoever is using JaxonH will change it and free the name up for me. It's a longshot, but man it'd be nice to have the same username on Playstation and Nintendo.

FATHASUN

FATHASUN said:

These are long requested features. I'd rather they do a survey for more compelling apps or functionality. The Vita has an Email App, a Calendar App now as well. Id Love to have those on the PS4 and PS3. These would come in handy sometimes when I don't want to turn on my PC, laptop or cell phone. Just press the PS button and it's a wrap.

Skype would be good as well but MS may block or delay that. Another option could be Google Hangouts. Video Conferencing for up to 8 people. Maybe that is what they meant. Even Facebook now has video conferencing. Do it Sony!!

blindndeaf

blindndeaf said:

that would be great,my other account which is my best trophy one I just looked around and put the first thing I saw which was the dog name ellie then added pants at the end id love to change that and keep the years of trophys ive done

dudeware

dudeware said:

I actually like my user name: dudeware, I thought of it way back in 2009 after I had forgotten my password for my original account (the name has horrible anyway) but now I use it for everything because literally no one else uses it beside one app maker on the iOS store. But he rarely makes apps anymore so I'm clear lol. Best part about my name is how no one can figure out what it means which is actually really stupid, basically I wanted to see the movie Dude where's my car! And typed that in but I tweaked it a little and came up with dudeware!

thedevilsjester

thedevilsjester said:

@KAMIL92 I don't understand why upgrading an account was not part of the original sub account system. This and letting me delete games from my trophy list should already be done!

-CraZed-

-CraZed- said:

I really, really, really would like to change my PSN ID. I wish they would just make it work like Steam's ID system. You can change your display name to ANYTHING even if it is the same as another user but you have a single account name that doesn't change.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Eh, I forgot about the reputation system. It should be fine as long as they don't do what Microsoft is doing with theirs. Its probably all but impossible to avoid false down votes/flags with any system like that, unless you give false accusations a penalty too.

iSolipsistJudas

iSolipsistJudas said:

This site should do a similar survey just so I can read an interesting article of the results.

PSN: iSillyBoiJudas

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Lol you had me at xXBongoDongo69Xx.

I would like the option but I like my user name. Of course I always make sure its some form of Tasuki.

jmburks

jmburks said:

I would LOVE to be able to change my username! i hope they make this happen.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I need this like a whale needs blubber...
...like a platapus needs webbing...
...like an ostrich...

I need it bad.

owenstodstill

owenstodstill said:

This , along with deleting 0% trophy lists plus a hat full of other PSN profile options should of been done ages ago , I actually am shocked at how Xbox has had all this years ago and even with the release of the Ps4 we are still awaiting such basic improvements ... Shocking

ToddlerNaruto

ToddlerNaruto said:

I'm happy with my PSN ID/username...though maybe I'll change my mind when I'm in my 30's or 40's (I'm only 25 now).

bbq_boy

bbq_boy said:

Yep I'm embarrassed with my psn tag created 8 years ago. Come on Sony make us happy and give us choice to change it. Do something that other platforms don't offer. Give more, love us more - be true to your motto 'For the Gamers!' If you are worried about users constantly mucking about with name changes, charge us a £1 ... like mega-rich blizzard Activision.

Andrew21397

Andrew21397 said:

I was so young like 12 when I got my ps3 and made the mistake of not correctly reading PSN id when I signed up and ended up with AndrewEplion as my ID which is my name and now I'm almost 18 and still wishing to change it