Can't Connect to PSN? Blame Hacker Group DERP

Posted by Kell Andersen

It was an accident, by the way

Batten down the hatches, stock up on essentials, and assume the foetal position – the PlayStation Network is experiencing problems again, and that means that it's time to panic. In all seriousness, though, if you've been encountering trouble with the online service, you've absolutely no need to fret, as the issues don't have nefarious origins. In fact, the whole thing was just a huge accident.

Inane hacker group DERP had originally planned to attack the Sony servers of PlanetSide 2, but it seems that the pesky band of trolls did a pretty ham-fisted job of it. Not only is the multiplayer shooter undergoing turbulence, reports indicate that the entire PSN is acting up. What's more, the hackers are just as surprised at the outcome as we are. "That wasn't part of the plan," they stated on Twitter. "It was only supposed to be PlanetSide 2."

Have you been subject to these bizarre happenings? Are you getting horrific flashbacks to the great PSN outage of 2011? Scream and shout in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com, twitter.com, playstationlifestyle.net]

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Hmmm, connection issues late last night, and a purchase I made on PSN failed to unlock Trine 2 from demo to full game, perhaps this explains that...

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

I still can't fathom a genuinely decent reason as to why anyone would want to hack servers for a gaming network. Some people have way too much time on their hands I guess. Not noticed any hiccups myself on PSN tho these past few hours

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I haven't heard anything from friends or anyone on Facebook, so it's either already been resolved or isn't widespread.

Confused_DudeStaff

Confused_Dude said:

DERP's twitter explanation is like catching a child with its hand in cookie jar, but the jar was inexplicably helping to hold up a wall. When they took a cookie the wall fell down and all they had to say for themselves is "That wasn't part of the plan. It was only supposed to be a cookie".

That doesn't make your actions justifiable! You weren't meant to have a cookie for a reason!

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

the only thing I couldn't do was connect to facebook on my psvita so I didn't even know anything was wrong

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

I haven't experience any problems at all. But the only thing that I have been using on the PS4 the last couple of days is Netflix.

EyeDeeNO76

EyeDeeNO76 said:

"Bizarre happenings?" yes but minor. I didn't think anything about it at the time just thought it was a glitch in connection. Yesterday I got a trophy and tried to load it up onto my account but when I did I got an error code and wasn't disconnected from the network also I couldn't see my or my fends profiles. Inane asshats indeed.

Untitled

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Not going to lie, every time I see the word hackers and PlayStation Network in the same sentence I get nervous and have flashbacks to 2011.

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

They can't be bored of their Xbox ONE's already? :-D Find another Hobby Hackers & stop spoiling fun for normal gamers :-/

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I got disconnected a few times but resetting my wifi booster helped so who knows. And we need hackers to keep security folks' noses in the books. We've made a digital organism out of the internet in almost every sense, an immune system included. Such is life — to hack or be denied access to the DNS server

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Why do people do this? It's stupid and pointless, there's no moral cause or anything. I guess it's like @Epic said, some people just want to see the world burn.

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

I would pay serious $ to be put in room with these fu@#s. Lock the door, no cameras, no windows. I guarantee, they would never hack anything ever again.