PlayStation, This Is Very Much Your Life

For the players since 1995

If last week’s ‘Perfect Day’ commercial didn’t get you suitably hyped for the release of the PlayStation 4 next month, then this PlayStation Access video should do the trick. Dubbed ‘For the Players’, the poignant clip depicts almost two decades’ worth of PlayStation gaming from the perspective of a London flat.

As the skyline changes in the background of the video, so too do the posters, decorations, and, of course, consoles in the gamer’s bedroom. Sony actually collaborated with various companies to make the short historically accurate – the Domino's Pizza boxes from the 1995 section, for example, are the ones that the firm actually used at the time.

“In terms of the film, each section is representative of the whole era; lots of details, even down to the dates on the ticket stubs, the magazines, and the electronics, help to bring this piece to life,” community manager Hollie Bennett explained. “As we move into the PS4, the bike, the clothes, and many of the items that haven’t actually been released yet help us to look to the future.”

The video was certainly successful in sending a tingle of nostalgia down our spine, and it really reinforces the platform holder’s desire to target the core gamer. PlayStation, as a brand, is now reaching that point where it has a lot cultural appeal – many of us have grown up with it – and clips like this really help to emphasise that.

[via youtube.com, blog.eu.playstation.com]

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I actually started to tear up while watching this. The fact that Tekken was one of my first PS One games makes this hit home so much harder.

@Lelouch All of those sound effects during the first 15 seconds are AMAZING. Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear, Tekken, Gran Turismo, etc. :O

Philson

Philson said:

i like how these English guys were playing their pal ps1 and ps2 games full speed/full screen,guess they imported them :)

dudey300Staff

dudey300 said:

I remember there was a local shop that allowed you to rent out consoles, and it was a pretty big deal when my parents surprised me one Friday evening after I finished school with the PlayStation accompanied with the first Crash Bandicoot. I think it cost £10 to rent it for the weekend, which was A LOT of money back then.

After I made my First Holy Communion, I made enough cash to pick up my own PlayStation. Bliss.

eliotgballade

eliotgballade said:

liked it , very clever , memories of swapping in that pirate disc after loading up a magazine demo disc (naughty)

redd214

redd214 said:

First PS1 game I had was Tekken 2. Was in fact the only game I had for like a year lol. I've developed a healthy case of gaming ADHD as ive gotten older, no way that would fly now!! Great video though, brought back a ton of of memories!

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

@Philson Ha ha, nice observation!
Hmm, but I had a Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox. Could go earlier and start with the Atari 2600...

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

"But I've already summoned the meteor!"
I like how they were all messy before they got PS4. It grows your butt right up and makes you not like Dominos anymore

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

This doesn't so much get me hyped for PS4, rather it takes me back to the PS2 era, my favorite ever.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

Oh my golden era of gaming sigh......being a young lad growing up on NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and my favorite consoles the PlayStation and Dreamcast. Really gaming can be a memory that passes you by into a dream void.