News Article

Nielsen Study Suggests Gaming Is Not the PS3's Primary Use

Posted by Sammy Barker

North American consumers spending more time with other applications

The PlayStation 3 may be a games console first and foremost – but North American consumers spent more time using it for non-gaming activities than anything else in 2012. The news comes courtesy of a study conducted by Nielsen, which analysed the responses of more than 2,500 consumers across the USA.

According to the research, the amount of time that consumers spent streaming content to the console increased from 15 per cent to 24 per cent last year. Respondents also spent about 15 per cent of their time watching DVDs and Blu-rays, four per cent viewing downloaded content, and eight per cent doing other things.

When playing games, the report showed that consumers spent around 28 per cent of their time offline and a further 18 per cent online. Overall, PS3 owners spent 46 per cent of their time with the console playing games in 2012, while they used the remaining 54 per cent for non-gaming activities. That’s a pretty enlightening statistic.

Last year, Sony revealed that the PS3 was the most popular platform for Netflix in the world. How much do you use your system for non-gaming activities? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via uk.gamespot.com]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More Stories

User Comments (16)

DHW

#2

DHW said:

My most played application is Netflix because I watch movies on it, which tend to be 1-3 hours long each time, so this study COULD be false.

neumaus

#3

neumaus said:

I never use my PS3 for Netflix or even Crunchyroll. I also never use it to play DVDs.
I have a Roku, phone, Vita and PC for streaming stuff :P
To be honest though, I don't use my PS3 all that much. I much prefer handheld gaming.

edit:

Nevermind, now that I've actually bothered to use Netflix and Crunchyroll on my PS3... I actually really enjoy it. Now my PS3 is used for my anime/drama viewing. (And the occasional Netflix.)

Epic

#4

Epic said:

When it was launched I remember a lot of people just getting it for the Blu-ray feature. The technology was kinda new back then and it was kinda expensive so people jsut got the PS3 for having more features (Even thought it was 600 bucks at that time).

Paranoimia

#5

Paranoimia said:

Mostly gaming for me. Then Blu-rays, Netflix occasionally, and watching MP4/AVI files, which it upscales brilliantly.

Jaz007

#6

Jaz007 said:

Almost completely gaming. I use it for music sometimes and DVDs every so often as well.

hamispink

#7

hamispink said:

Normally I'd say mines used for mostly gaming, but my random marathon runs through shows could put that over the edge. Also, my roommate uses my PS3 for nothing but netflix so my machine was almost definitely used for streaming more than games. It doesn't hurt that we don't have cable.

BornOfEvil

#8

BornOfEvil said:

Since I don't have internet, my PS3 is completely and utterly dedicated to gaming. Now if I had internet, I would do equal amounts of gaming and streaming shows.

NathanUC

#9

NathanUC said:

Well.. it only does everything :P

Honestly, I probably use my PS3 more for music, Blurays, and streaming, but I still game with it a lot. Vita has pretty much become my primary gaming device.

ShogunRokAdmin

#10

ShogunRok said:

I see people on my friends list using applications like Netflix and Love Film A LOT of the time, which really surprises me now that I think about it.

Which makes me think how huge the PS4 could be given its hardware when it comes to even more streaming services. Sony is potentially sitting on a goldmine.

As for me I'd say 85% gaming, 10% bedroom music player and 5% DVD/Bluray player.

astroshamu

#11

astroshamu said:

Huh that's interesting, I only play games on my ps3 and use my wii/wiiU for Netflix and the whatnots

Ginkgo

#13

Ginkgo said:

Gaming (lots), TV/recorder (lots), blu-ray (regularly), streaming (regularly), DLNA server (occasionally), downloading movies (rarely), internet (rarely)

FullbringIchigo

#14

FullbringIchigo said:

so 2,500 users of the 13.5 million sold in the US

lets do some maths here

24 percent (lets say a quarter) of 2,500 is about 610 people so 610 people of the 13.5 million users over all of america is less than 5 percent of the users of PS3's (it's not exact but it's close enough at least that's what my calculator said it was)

and that's why statistics are stupid because you can make what ever number you like by adjusting the amount of people you survey to either increase or decrease the number you end up with

Splat

#15

Splat said:

Gaming and Netflix is all I use it for but mostly gaming. Pretty much not a day goes by that I don't at least play something for a few minutes.

Leave A Comment

Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...