Oh No, Vanille's Going to Be in Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Pack it up

Square Enix seems intent on scuppering Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII’s chances. Despite early indications suggesting that the game is actually, y’know, quite good, the Japanese publisher has announced that Vanille – otherwise known as the worst character ever – will be making a comeback. The disastrous revelation was made in the latest issue of Japan’s popular Jump magazine, in which the pink haired heroine is shown wearing a ridiculous headdress.

For those not up to speed with the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga, the Australian teenybopper turned into a crystal along with her equally irritating associate Fang at the end of Final Fantasy XIII. How’s the team going to work its way around that one? Who cares – we’re more baffled by the fact that the developer thought that this was a character worth revisiting. We suppose that she does have nice anime eyes...

[via siliconera.com, vg247.com]

3Above

3Above said:

Id like to say in Her defense, Vanille is NOT the worst character ever..... that would be Hope.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Don't you be hatin' on Vanille. At least she's got a cute girlfriend, unlike somebody.<_<

@3Above I'm not going to argue with you. However, I'd put them on equal footing. Good grief, Final Fantasy XIII really did have one of the worst casts of all time, didn't it?

3Above

3Above said:

@get2sammyb LOL it did, and somehow it keeps getting worse! That said I really did enjoy playing XIII, unconventional linearity and all. 13-2 was wrong turn story wise and 13-3... well it speaks for itself.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Poor girl is so misunderstood...she comes off as vapid and useless because she's trying to suppress her real feelings. It's actually a pretty deep character if you bother to think about it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Confused_Dude: It's quite simple...the persona she portrays to her teammates is noticeably different from that which she uses in the narration of the game. She even talks in the narration about how hard everything is on her and how she feels the best way to deal with it is to put on a phony happy face all the time. I really have no idea why everybody forgets that.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Don't know why the hate. I like her as I like serah anyway. If there is Charscter I hate it is snow...

odd69

odd69 said:

@Stuffgamer1

I always thought the same, she had to be real "happy" for her teammates. She wasn't the worst FF character in my opinion

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

This article seemed more like an angry fanboy rant in the comments section rather than an actual article. Now, Mog, on the other hand....feel free to rage about that awful character all you want.

@Stuffgamer1 I completely agree. She's a lot deeper than people give her credit for. I loved her character; she's one of my favorite things about FFXIII. Hope was the one I couldn't really stand, but he still had some justification for his annoying actions.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

@Stuffgamer1 +1. I think many people over look her character progression and back story and just focus on her voice and... 'sound effects'.

She was extremely important in 13 and had a minor role (but still important) in 13-2. I would have been shocked if she wasn't somehow involved in 13-3.

tabris95

tabris95 said:

I think it's funny that apparently not even FFXIII fans can agree on which character was the worst. I think that just means they're all bad. :P

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

@tabris95
Final Fantasy fans can't agree on anything. Ever since FFVII half the fandom have been complaining about how much everything sucks with the new direction the franchise is taking, while the other side adores everything about it.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

@grenworthshero I think there's a difference between being a Final Fantasy fan and being a fan of a single game in the series (FFVII). That's why there's a big divide.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

@tabris95 : sir, you guessed right.
Allow me to explain the games they come from: Barbie and Ken (x3) in a tunnel.
Sounds entertaining, doesn't it?

Jairo_MC

Jairo_MC said:

Well, I liked Vanille and her development troughout FFXIII. In the beggining I was really annoyed by Hope. I wanted to slap that boy so much! However as the game progressed and specially after his confrontation with Snow he didn't bother me anymore and I ended the game kinda liking him. In FFXIII-2 he didn't annoy me anymore.
I'm actually pretty excited about Lightning Returns: FF XIII. I just wish they give us real closure like I thought I had at the end of the first XIII.
BTW, I think that I'm in the group that likes every FF game as there isn't one I hate...

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't remember her too well to be honest, is she the one traveling thru the endless maze of bland walls w/ the the guy w/ the chocobo in his 'fro? One of them says "well this is the most boring game ever" or something to that effect. It was funny when they said it in Xenogears though.

I do remember hating whiny boy. I don't remember his name but by reading this thread I'm guessing it was Hope. One of the worst characters in any game ever.

My wife wants to know why they keep making sequels to this game which so many people seem to dislike? I'm still waiting for a Bouncer sequel ;-)

odd69

odd69 said:

They still make FF games cause they are fun, plain and simple. That's why we have 14 sequels. I haven't play 13-2 yet. I don't feel they should do sequels on numberd FF games but hey if square wants to run the series in the ground that is them. I'll keep supporting them regardless.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@get2sammyb: I find the extremely biased nature of this article strange (although I admit I didn't think much of it until a friend pointed it out). What gives, anyway?

@ErnisDy: Spoilers for a three-and-a-half-year-old predecessor to the game this article is about. These are situations where it's up to the reader to tread lightly. And believe me, I've been in your place before...wrote in to a magazine about it once and got schooled by their reply. I've long since decided they were right.

3Above

3Above said:

I really dont understand why SE didnt explore Fang and Vanille's lives as l'cie. Going back 400 yrs in time and finding out how they became l'cie would have been preferable to going 500 yrs in the future to find out why Lightning has somehow beceome the messiah. Its wierd to me.

LordBagardo

LordBagardo said:

People make the mistake of thinking that mismatched dialogue on a character means that it's either intentional or that they're complex or deep. In this instance I'd warrant a guess she's just lazily written

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Sadly, the cast of characters in the XIII series has been the least of its worries.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ErnisDy - Play all the other old good PS3 games, you'll forget what you read here by then. And there are plenty of better games than this. And I say that as a long time fan of the series and JRPGs.

I read about Aerith the day before I played the big scene. No other spoiler will ever affect me again after that.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@ErnisDy: Okay, I agree maybe using the words "spoiler warning" would have been good, but it's not like "For those not up to speed with the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga" doesn't ALSO indicate likely spoilers ahead.

Ideally, game discussion would ALWAYS include spoiler warnings, but it's just not realistic. I heard about the big FFVII spoiler rjejr mentioned several times before playing it...but to be fair I also played it quite a few years after it released. It's nigh impossible to define the right amount of time to require spoiler warnings, and you have to know that you always risk getting burned on that front using the internet.

@ErnisDy Apologies for the spoiler, but the game is pretty old. I appreciate that you just got your PS3, but we can't tread on egg shells forever. There comes a point, in my opinion, when it's alright to talk openly about that kind of stuff.