PlayStation 4 Will Get You into Your Games Quicker Than Ever Before

System architect promises faster access and swifter loading

While we lament the addition of another seemingly needless PlayStation 3 firmware update, Mark Cerny – the mastermind behind both the PlayStation 4 and arcade classic Marble Madness – has discussed in detail the feature inside Sony’s next generation console that will get you playing faster than ever before.

Irritatingly dubbed ‘PlayGo’, the technology will allow you to hop into a game before it has even finished downloading. "The concept is that you download just a portion of the overall data and start your play session, and you continue your play session as the rest downloads in the background," he told Gamasutra, no doubt with a satisfied smile plastered across his face.

The console will also be able to install retail games without making you wait. “So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed, and we put it on the hard drive,” he explained. "And if then there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, [and] you have dramatically quicker loading.”

In addition, the PS4 will include a custom chip designed for background activity, meaning that pesky firmware updates will soon become a thing of the past. However, this, according to Cerny, will be environmentally friendly, too. "To make it a more green hardware, which is very important for us, we have the ability to turn off the main power in the system and just have power to that secondary custom chip, system memory, and I/O – hard drive, Ethernet,” he said. “So, that allows background downloads to happen in a very low power scenario.”

There’s plenty more from Cerny through here. We’re just delighted that we’re not going to have to read through a slew of complaints on Twitter every time that there’s a new system update. What's tickling your fancy about the PS4? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via gamasutra.com]

Splat

Splat said:

That's bad ass. The coolest thing I have heard about the PS4 yet.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I love the ablity to make the system sleep and donwloead stuuf in the backround while you use it. The PS4 is just getting rid of all of the little inconviences that are in gaming now. The interview was a little confusing since I don't much about that stuff lol. Now if they could just annonce the ablity to customize controlls like you can with PC. That alone could make the touch pad really useful.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I think Cerny is probably the best thing that could have happened to the PS4. Or at least among the best things. Guy is - as the kids say - a nightmare beast.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

After playing 200+ hours of Skyrim I in fact stopped to consider how many of them I wasted just looking at the loading screen. Perhaps 10%? Anything that improves loading times is a win.

Still why the PS3 never offered the option to download to disk (like the XBox) in the first place is beyond me.

Alpha

Alpha said:

@Ginkgo the Ps3 does in a way, it installs game data to the hard drive. some games do over 4GB (most ive seen is 4.8GB)

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@Ginkgo I'm curious, how how does that work? It seems like someone could download the disc then sell it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Jaz007 - I'm sure you'll still need to have the disc in the PS4 but the game will run faster off the HDD than off the disc. The big improvement is not having to wait and watch Snake smoke a cigarette or 20 minutes before you start playing.

@Alpha - MLB The Show 2012 gave me the option of 5 or 10GB.

I hope they fix the stupid 20 - 30mb update every single demo I DL. Why is there a Day 1 20 - 30 mb patch every time? I'm assuming it's something to do w/ the constant firmware updates and checking the # since they are always the same small size but they really need to roll these into the GB sized DLs.

I also hate checking in for FREE DL. I DL a demo from Tokyo - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (at least I think it was a demo) - and it didn't aask for any ID, it just started DLing. DLing God Mode from the US I had to go thru all those check in screens. It's really annoying.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

@ShogunRok Wholly crap whats up other gundam fan lol XD, but seriously I totally agree with your statement 100 percent, I have been reading up on Mr. Cernys development of the PS4! His experience in combonation with his asking developers and paying attention to consumer complaints and wishes is truly going to make this next Gen console shine!!!

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@DoublezZ01 Exactly - Cerny has the experience and the attitude needed for this role. He's also got the enthusiasm of a man who seems to love doing what he does. I honestly can't think of many people better for the job.

Also, Gundam - yay! Nice avatar!

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Dude u took the words right out of my head. ..I noticed his passion and confidence in the system the first time I watched the announcement I was glad to see he was really trying to put maximum effort into the systems architecture! Gundam fan since I got my first PS2 and s still going strong. .. can't wait to see what gundam games they make for PS4! !!