PlayStation 3 Owners Revolt Over Firmware Update 4.30

Predict a riot

As is so often the case online, people aren’t happy. The PlayStation 3’s latest firmware update arrived earlier this week with a couple of admittedly eyebrow-raising additions. Alongside the ability to check Vita Trophies on the console, the update also implemented SingStar into the XMB, and moved some of the key components of the dashboard around.

The former, in particular, is causing a not entirely uncharacteristic rebellion on the PlayStation Blog. At the time of writing, over 835 posters have expressed their distaste for the new SingStar icon. The addition – which is only present in Europe at the moment – appears underneath the Games area of the XMB. It cannot be grouped into folders, nor deleted. Furthermore, it’s the default icon that loads if you don't have a Blu-ray inserted into your PS3.

Responding to the onslaught of critical comments, European PlayStation Blog manager Fred Dutton said: “Your feedback has most certainly been noticed and is being carefully considered by the relevant teams. If I have news about future updates, I will of course let you know immediately.”

We reckon the simple solution would be to move the SingStar icon to the Music area of the XMB. While it’s technically a game, it wouldn’t feel altogether out of place sitting next to the Music Unlimited icon. That way it would still be easily accessible to those who want it, while out of the way for those who don’t.

And while Sony’s switching icons around, it would be nice if it moved the Trophies icon back to the Games section. Firmware update 4.30 inexplicably repositioned the component under the PSN area, which, as far as we’re concerned, is a far bigger scandal than the SingStar icon.

What are your thoughts on the latest PS3 firmware update? Is the SingStar icon driving you insane? Let us know in the comments section below.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

The Singstar icon didn't bother me, and I didn't even knew it would load if the drive was empty, since I always have something there. I haven't had the time to look more closely, but it appears to me that the trophies are online-only now, am I right? I got the impression that they've removed the option to acquire the trophies offline and then sync them afterwards, is that so? Because, if that's the case, this is VERY annoying and worrying, because sometimes my internet connection is not that reliable (as is the case with millions of others out there I'm sure).

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

i dont see the problem its one extra icon it looks a bit untidy but thats it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

• which is only present in Europe at the moment -

Well that may be, but if you're in the US like I am and you go onto your UK account to DL the Planets Under Attack demo, which wasn't in the UK store anyway, then it DOES show up when you log back into your US account, and it does take you to the US store, not the UK store.

How is this not deletable? I own Singstar but since I haven't paid to DL any songs - and if I had they would have been the dance versions anyway which don't show up rom that icon - the icon is useless to me.

I don't mind the Trophies being under Network as I rarely check then anyway, and now that I know where they are no harm in going there.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Nah, I gotta say, the Singstar icon rubs me the wrong way. It's not a gigantic hassle but adding an icon right in between my disc and my downloaded games is a big no-no in my books. I've already clicked on it twice just out of pure habit, thinking I was opening my download folder. At least move it like was mentioned in this article or let us delete it. It's an eyesore and it's unnecessary.

I think the reaction's over-the-top, but I agree that it has to be moved. I don't have a problem with the App being on the XMB at all — but they probably put it in the most awkward position possible.

Splat

Splat said:

I don't like the trophies list getting moved, not a huge deal I just don't like change.

@Splat I think the problem is that it's such a needless change. It's been in the Games section for years — why move it?

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

Japan got it worse with this update, apparently it make Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD freeze up while playing.

Kayoss

Kayoss said:

WoW!!! I have a feeling people are over acting to something this small... if this is already causing such problems among the users I cant imagine what would happen if Sony decides to do something drastic to the XMB.... Possible riot for a Sing Star Icon... Probably civil war within countries if Sony accidently move the Movie Section into the Music section...

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Kayoss I agree, people are over-reacting for an icon, but it's not just b/c of Singstar on the XMB, it's b/c people have been asking for things for years that they never seem to get: sorting DL history, Xgame chat or a US Store update time, Sony even set up a place to make requests - and Sony gives stuff like BC and OS and then takes it away - and they promise stuff that never happens like trophies in Home, and instead of doing any of that Sony gives us an icon THAT CAN'T BE MOVED, PUT IN FOLDERS OR DELETED. It's not about Singstar, it's a long history of stuff, a lot of which doesn't make any sense, and a 6 year history of vitriol gets released whenever it gets the chance.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I'm certainly glad I don't have that icon, 'cause it'd definitely piss me off. I'm still annoyed I have an Amazon video icon on my XMB even though I've NEVER used it, but at least that's tucked away BELOW Netflix on the video apps section, so it's not actually in the way. I have so many different game folders already (to sort by format), there's no WAY I need one more stupid thing to scroll past under games. Now I'm going to undermine that statement by saying I'd have preferred the Trophies didn't move. :P Honestly though, that's not a big deal to me, and I sort of see why they did it...after all, you can now view your Trophies from the Network, including ones from a completely different console. It kind of makes sense...

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I'd like to delete netflix if I choose to. I'd appreciate trophies being back in the games column. And if singstar ever arrives for NA it better be under the music column, but I don't want it taking up precious space on my hdd.

I'd actually like to be able to sync my trophies, haven't been able to for two weeks now.

Maybe if the PS Store icon appears in sveral different columns, the trophies icon could appear in games and network too.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

I'm glad that we can now see all of our synced trophies even when playing on a 2nd console. Like others have mentioned, I would like the trophies back in the games section but it's not a big deal.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Same, singstar didn't bother me. Moving the trophies was just baffling.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Why change the icons around the XMB now? I only got my PS3 a year ago and just got used to where things are now. :/ {Been busy to play much on my ps3 these days}

hydeks

hydeks said:

I like the fact that I can look at my vita trophies on my ps3 now, but why did they move it to the psn section?!? I really hate that!!!! >< Move it back, please!!!!

And as for the SingStar thing, I don't think in NA we have that, but that sounds incredibly annoying.

Worthyhellboy

Worthyhellboy said:

Now I have that warm fuzzy feeling that I belong, I wanna say love you Sony with your sellout marketing ploy, to make us even notice rubbish like Singstar!

Kayoss

Kayoss said:

@rejre,
I understand that's there are a lot of things that we want but how far does Sony or any other companies have to go to please every consumers??? The problem is this, people want everything but do not want to pay for it. Backward compatibility was implement in the first ps3 but people complain it cost too much so sony remove it to cut cost... People complain...its a lose lose situation for Sony. With 4.30 its not that bad at all. It's one freakin extra icon!! It will not really affect how the console function. People need to step back and think about is this really worth about?