The Last of Us 1 is a survival horror game created by PlayStation Studios developer Naughty Dog which first released in 2013. This The Last of Us 1 walkthrough, which includes all collectibles, is based on The Last of Us: Part I for PS5 and PC, which is also known as The Last of Us Remake. However, its content also applies to The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) and The Last of Us (PS3), unless explicitly stated otherwise. For reference, we awarded the title a 8/10 in our The Last of Us: Part I PS5 review, describing it as "a better, more beautiful remake of a modern classic".
The Last of Us 1 Guide: Walkthrough
The first part of our The Last of Us 1 guide is a full The Last of Us 1 walkthrough, explaining how to achieve 100% completion. We'll help you find all collectibles, provide gameplay strategies for combat encounters, and ensure you see and do everything in the campaign.
- Alone and Forsaken Walkthrough
- Hotel Lobby Walkthrough
- Financial District Walkthrough
- Escape the City Walkthrough
The Firefly Lab
- Back in a Flash Walkthrough
- Mallrats Walkthrough
- So Close Walkthrough
- Fun and Games Walkthrough
- The Enemy of My Enemy Walkthrough
- Escape from Liberty Gardens Walkthrough
The Last of Us 1 Guide: All Collectibles
For the next part of out The Last of Us 1 guide, we'll list all collectibles. There are 10 collectible types in The Last of Us 1, with total of 245 collectibles to find. Our checklists will help you to discover everything, with descriptions of precise locations. The collectibles types are as follows:
- Artefacts: Typically written documents or pages denoted by a paper icon in-game, although can extend to other objects and items, including speech recorders which play voice messages.
- Firefly Pendants: Dog tags with the identification information of various Firefly members, denoted by a Firefly icon in-game.
- Comics: Comic books from a fictional sci-fi series named Savage Starlight, identified by a speech bubble in-game.
- Training Manuals: Pamphlets which provide permanent buffs to in-game abilities, including the efficiency of crafted items, represented by a booklet icon in-game.
- Workbenches: Desk surfaces equipped with lighting and tools which can be used to upgrade weapons, denoted by a wrench symbol in-game.
- Workbench Tools: Equipment which unlocks new weapon upgrades for all firearms, found in red tool boxes.
- Shiv Doors: Locked metal doors which house valuable resources and crafting materials and require a Shiv to unlock.
- Optional Conversations: Optional conversation opportunities which allow you to further explore character relationships and lore in specific situations, represented by a speech bubble icon in-game.
- Ellie's Jokes: A subset of Optional Conversations pertaining to Ellie's love of bad jokes and puns, represented by a speech bubble icon in-game. You may need to wait in a specific location or fulfil various conditions in order to trigger these.
- All Artefacts Locations
- All Firefly Pendants Locations
- All Comics Locations
- All Training Manuals Locations
- All Workbenches Locations
- All Workbench Tools Locations
- All Shiv Doors Locations
- All Safe Code Combinations
- All Optional Conversations Locations
- All Ellie's Jokes Locations
- How to Open the Safe in Downtown
- How to Open the Safe in The Woods
- How to Open the Safe in Hotel Lobby
- How to Open the Safe in Suburbs
The Last of Us 1 Guide: Weapons and Items
For this section of our The Last of Us 1 guide, we'll document all Weapons and Items. You'll need offensive equipment in order to deal with the harsh realities of apocalyptic America, and we'll help you find all of the firearms in the game, as well as any upgrades and gear.
The Last of Us 1 Guide: Trophies
For the next part of our The Last of Us 1 guide, we'll focus on Trophies. Earning the Platinum can be the ultimate endorsement of your appreciation for a game, and so we'll help you to get all the shiny trinkets in Naughty Dog's grisly survival horror.
The Last of Us 1 Guide: FAQs
By this point in our The Last of Us 1 guide, we've hopefully helped teach you everything you need to know about the critically acclaimed game. However, you may still have burning questions, which is why we've compiled this FAQs section.
- All Chapters and How Long to Beat
- Best Difficulty to Select
- Does It Have Multiplayer?
- Does It Have New Game Plus?
The Last of Us 1 Guide: Tips and Tricks for Beginners
For the final part of our The Last of Us 1 guide, we'll share some tips and tricks for beginners. These will help you to get the most out of the game, and will ensure that you're well prepared to face the apocalypse.
Loot Absolutely Everything
Resources are a rarity in The Last of Us 1, so make sure you're always looting absolutely everything. Take the time to fully explore your surroundings, digging through drawers and cupboards for key supplies. You can then use these ingredients to craft important equipment, which will help you to better manage combat encounters.
Always Have a Spare Shiv and Health Kit
You'll always want to ensure you have a spare Shiv and Health Kit on your person, because you never know when you'll need them. Shivs can help you to open Shiv Doors and also guarantee silent stealth kills, while Health Kits are valuable for moments where you need to replenish your health. Naughty Dog's survival horror can be unpredictable, so it's always best to be prepared.
Absorb All of Your Surroundings
While you're digging through your surrounding for important resources, be sure you also soak up the environment details. One of The Last of Us 1's greatest achievements is just how much story it tells through its world. Every house you loot has a story to tell, and enables you to imagine its pre-apocalypse inhabitants. Take the time to simply absorb everything you see, rather than rush through each area without paying attention.
Stay on the Move
Enemies are incredibly smart in The Last of Us 1, even on lower difficulty settings. If you're not careful, you will get flanked and taken out. It's important, then, to keep enemies guessing. Stay low and change your position often, to avoid getting flushed out by foes. You want to be unpredictable, especially against humans, because otherwise they'll organise themselves into a pincer and trap you. Think carefully about your position and your next best move, ensuring you always retain the upper-hand on your enemies.
That just about does it for our The Last of Us 1 guide! Hopefully you found this walkthrough useful, and remember, if you want to continue the story, our The Last of Us 2 guide can help. Do let us know if you have any other tips and tricks in the comments section, and always remember to endure and survive!