So, Does Destiny Look Any Good on the PS3?

Judge for yourself

While the PlayStation 3 may command a much larger install base than the PlayStation 4, there’s no doubt that gaming mindshare has switched to Sony’s next-gen machine. As such, it’s pretty easy to forget that Destiny is even releasing on the Japanese giant’s age-old hardware in the first place – let alone that you can play it right now as part of the product’s pre-release beta.

So, how does it look on the eight year old hardware? Well, as evidenced by these comparisons provided by NeoGAF user Guymelef, it actually holds up pretty well. The image quality is unsurprisingly nowhere near as good – with the resolution taking the biggest hit – but it’s largely comparable, and the luscious art style remains very much intact.

There’s no word on performance just yet, but that will be the big benchmark for the previous generation port; Bungie’s obviously building an ambitious experience here, so it’ll be interesting to see whether the vintage machine can keep up. Are you planning to pick up the game on the PS3, or are you plumping up for the superior PS4 version? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via guymelef.minus.com, neogaf.com]

Related Games

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Hmm..what I like about the PS3 version is, that it seems to look a bit more..uhm "comic-like" in my opinion. What I absolutely hate already are those horrendous shadows. That's not even PS2 niveau (unless I'm remembering that completely wrong. It's been a long time since I last saw a PS2 game running on my TV :p)
I kinda understand, that they have to tone down some of the graphical stuff, but this is just outright ugly. Heck..shadows in a lot more recent 3DS games look better :D

Overall it's really nice, if you consider, that it's a pretty big game, tho. I'm just one of those people, who immediately get annoyed by trivial things like jaggy shadows (urgh..altho I wouldn't even call that jaggy. Can't put it into words tbh)

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

This actually doesn't look too bad. I still think the real question is how well it runs, though. We shall see!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Looks almost the same. Some small details added in the PS4 version, but nothing that'll alter the experience one way or the other. Except for that shadow. That shadow is an abomination to HD consoles all around the world.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

@JaxonH Guess it's a good thing that the game's still not finished, eh? Not that I personally care for shadows in a game, of all things. I'm sure the game will be as fun on either console, which is great, 'cause I only own a PlayStation 3. :B

I concur, PS3 version looks surprisingly good. If it maintains a decent framerate, then kudos to Bungie.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@JuanitoShet

Bad shadows are a pet peeve of mine. I forget what game I was playing recently, but I remember looking at the shadow and thinking really, that's the best you could do lol? It's like, all these glorious details and fine touches, with a pixelated shadow that looks like it came crawling out of the 8-bit era haha... Priorities, I suppose.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

The PS3 version looks solid enough to me and I've never been about graphics anyway. It looks like PS3 owners are getting a solid respectable game that isn't so far off the PS4 version. I have both systems so I'll go for the latest gen version but I'm impressed by the PS3 version as long as it performs well. We live in an exciting time of new franchises :)

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

Not much different. Bungie would have done better to stick to just next gen and it would/could have looked even better. Its a shame so many AAA games are cross gen, I think 2015/16 we'll see a massive dumpage of ps3 xb360.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Jesus Christ, I barely see a difference. If I pick it up at all (big "IF") I'll probably go with the PS3 version.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Too bad PS3 players and PS4 players can't play together that would be really nice.

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

My PS3 still has some oomph left in it, apparently (knock on wood). Once again, this is reason #384 why you wait, at least a yr, to get a new console after it comes out.

Splat

Splat said:

I don't know why anyone would be surprised? Anyone that played The Last of Us,Uncharted 2/3, Beyond Two Souls ect knows what the PS3 can do.

Swiket

Swiket said:

My first thought was "Wow, this actually looks pretty good." Then I scrolled down and realized I was looking at the PS4 version.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

I think the PS3 version looks really good graphicly. Almost as good as the pS4. The only real differences is the PS4 has better resolution and texture compression whith some nice lighting and shadows effects. I also belive is has alot more particul effects along with better Ai and draw distances. Also for me having the full use of the amazing DUALSHOCK 4 makes those fights on single (Co-op) story and PvP missions feels more comfortable than the DS3 and has better better control. Desiny doesn't have the best graphics ever on either system but which ever system you choose it will definitely be alot of fun. Loved the Alpha and im also really enjoying the beta. Its a shame Sony couldn't have got Destiny as a console exclusive given they paid some of the development cost. Besides X1 has Halo and Gears. This would have help Sony win the console war hands down for this year. Anyway I hope Bungie has another great hit on there hands. A Halo beater would be great and it seems they've achieved that status already.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Not a huge difference tbh except for that abomination of a shadow the PS3 version holds up really well.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

PS3 version is just blurry, but at least all the assets are there.

Started playing the Beta today - PS4. Good so far, but only the first mission in, so reserving judgement.

wittypixel

wittypixel said:

Game is intense, definitely requires a good team and about 3-4 hours of your time but surprisingly fun. Looks great on the PS4.