New Killzone: Mercenary Screens Show What the Vita Can Do

Pick up your jaw

In most cases, an image says more than words ever can. That’s particularly true with these brand new Killzone: Mercenary screenshots. We could type out a mini-dissertation explaining why the PlayStation Vita exclusive is shaping up to be the best looking handheld game ever released, but we don’t really need to. One look at these embedded images, and you should be able to see that all for yourself.

Don’t worry about the game not suiting the hardware, either. It may look like a blockbuster, but it’s actually doing some smart things in terms of structure. Missions are designed around replayability, and the title is unified by a single unlock mechanic, meaning that you won’t necessarily need to be near a Wi-Fi point in order to level up your multiplayer character. It all sounds rather smart to us – and did we mention that the graphics look really, really good?

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Looking forward to this very much.

This, The Last Of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Until Dawn, Rain, Puppeteer, GT6, PS4, Shadow Fall, Watch Dogs, Drive Club, Infamous Second Son... potentially an expensive 6-8 months ahead.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

@get2sammyb It will be if - IF - we get the PS4 this year.

And I forgot Tearaway in that list.

Even if the Xbox event tempts me (which is unlikely, but never say never) it will still have to wait until this lot are out of the way, no matter what exclusives they may have thrown money at.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

I'm going to end up buying this regardless, but I wonder if I can ever play a FPS competitively on anything but the PC any more... Game looks amazing.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

the lighting seems to be way more ambient-occlusion-ed (looking at least) than other Vita games. If those arent retouched pics then I'm sold, eh?

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

After The Last of Us, 2013 is going to be tortuous to my wallet. GTA V, Beyond, Arkham Origins, KZ: Mercenary, Tearaway, Watch Dogs, PS4, etc. 2013 is singlehandedly destroying my social life and i'm loving every second of it.

@AceSpadeS That's funny, because I can't play FPS competitively on PC. The mouse makes it way too easy, so it's never rewarding when I get a kill.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@ShogunRok Didn't pushsquare had some playthrough ? IGN and dsstructiod and many others never talked about lag. Only being a killzone like you would except on ps3. Please do some research because i hear this to often ...

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@Sanquine I really hope it doesn't have any drops - if it ran at a smooth 30fps and looked this good, it would be a sight to behold.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Looks amazing for a Vita game. Here's hoping the gameplay hold up and its killer.