Epic Mickey 2 Is Painting Its Way onto PlayStation Vita

Now you can endure the adventure all over again

Despite atrocious sales that led to the closure of developer Junction Point, Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is coming to the PlayStation Vita – in Europe anyway. The news was originally revealed by Disney UK’s official Twitter feed, but was later confirmed by a European PlayStation Blog post. There’s currently no word on whether the title will be drawing itself onto international release schedules.

According to the announcement, the game will feature touch screen painting mechanics and tilt controls for the racing mode. The title will also boast a two-player Wi-Fi co-op option that is “exclusive” to the handheld, allowing you to “unleash the power of two” wherever you go. Let's hope that the core gameplay's better than its woeful PS3 counterpart.

Fascinatingly, it seems that Sony’s helped port the title to its fledgling handheld. In addition to the inclusion of the SCE logo on the box art, junior product manager Alex Moyet confirmed that the platform holder’s contributing to the title’s development in the PlayStation Blog’s comments section. Given the poor reception to the original release, we’re not sure why it’s bothered, but perhaps the game was already in development before the reviews hit late last year.

[via twitter.com, blog.eu.playstation.com]

I think it's really interesting that Sony's handling the port of this. It's done a similar thing with a couple of other games — I believe it ported Phineas & Ferb to the PSP, for example. Perhaps it sees these type of games as a "gap" in the catalogue that it needs to plug.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

There's a specific genre of gaming that I have just seceded will always SUCK on Vita: licensed games. Now, even though I consider myself a hardcore gamer, I am still a kid at heart. I happen to LOVE licensed games (so long as they're not completely broken). It's the ability to physically control a character that I have been emotionally attached to for over 20 years that constantly brings a smile to my face while playing.

I NEVER would have expected a game like this to come to Vita. But let's be frank here (or Nancy if you will), the Vita needs games. Specifically, retail games. Shelf fillers. If I could have chosen ANY licensed game for Sony to port to Vita, it would've been one of the Batman Arkham games. Or Transformers Cybertron. Mickey ain't at the very bottom of the list, though. If you say you don't got a lotta love for this squeaky voiced rodent you're a ******* liar, to put it very un-Disney like.

Long story short, I'll be pickin this game up. And I hope there's some more licensed lovin to follow

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I do think it's funny that a game which suffered from awful sales is being ported... to the Vita, of all things. Not going to do much for all the 'no games' jokes is it?

Ah I'm just kidding - kind of.

naruball

naruball said:

Definitely buying this when the price is right. I'm sure it's better than most people make it to be.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

lol harsh!
No, the first one was so bad that 3 gamers couldn't figure out how to save our progress. We didn't care. Again, lol.

hamispink

hamispink said:

I went to my local walmart and saw 7 rows of this game for Wii stuffed all the way to the back and discounted to $40. I'd say it isn't selling quite as expected.