You'll Score a Platinum Trophy for Enduring Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition's Multiplayer

There's always a price to the prize

Crystal Dynamics’ recent Tomb Raider reboot was all about resilience in the most abhorrent conditions, so perhaps the North American developer is trying to channel that with the Trophy list for its upcoming PlayStation 4 re-release, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. As leaked on PS3Trophies.com, the roster of trinkets is identical to its current generation counterpart, meaning that you’ll still need to play the mediocre multiplayer mode for a number of hours in order to unlock the coveted Platinum Trophy.

To be fair, as part of a recent Question and Answer session, executive producer Scot Amos hinted that the competitive component would be far superior on Sony’s new system. “We’ve actually rewritten the back-end architecture on the multiplayer for next-gen,” he explained on the franchise’s official forums. “We have definitely been enjoying playing multiplayer on next-gen and look forward to your experience. Let us know if you feel the improvements.” That’s great and all, but we’re still not sure that we want to endure the 40 or so hours required to reach Level 60.

Subtract the online stuff, and you shouldn’t have too much trouble obtaining the rest of the title’s plunder. You’ll net a Gold Trophy for exploring all of the optional tombs – which you should be doing anyway as they are one of the best things about the game – as well as lots of trinkets for finding all of the collectibles, which can be bundled up once you’ve completed the main campaign. Will you be fighting your way through the multiplayer in order to scoop the top treasure? Loot our corpses in the comments section below.

[via ps3trophies.com, vg247.com]

ZeD

ZeD said:

Damn! Just damn! I finished this days before the PS4 came out but I might just double dip on a rental of this :)

Splat

Splat said:

The multiplayer mode was just awful. It had no business being in the game.

The SP was outstanding...

ZeD

ZeD said:

@get2sammyb I never give it a go. To be honest it was not on my list of games to try and 100%. SP was enough for me :)

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

Instead of forcing people to play horrid multiplayer to get Platinum, how about you just make an enjoyable multiplayer experience so people will actually enjoy the gameplay? Seems like such a foreign idea, right?

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@zeldagaymer93 they said they totally rewrote the mechanics and that we'd like it better. Don't worry, buddy. It's the only new PS4 game coming out for a while and the first next-gen remake, so just be excited! : )

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

@charlesnarles Don't get me wrong, I am very excited! I have never played the game so this is the perfect chance to experience it. I just think it's funny that they force you to play terrible multiplayer (or so everybody says) to get platinum.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

You couldn't pay me to endure the crap that is Tomb Raider's multiplayer. For as awesome as the single player portion is, the multiplayer is that damn horrible. I'll gladly pass up a platinum if it means not ever having to play that garbage excuse of multiplayer again. Played 10 minutes of it earlier in the year and that was enough for me.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

I cannot wait to re play the awesome single player but can't say if I'd want to endure that multilayer to get the platinum :/

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@zeldagaymer93

One the real, I wish they'd just leave multiplayer out. I kind of chuckle at this notion that every game these days needs multiplayer. Bioshock Infinite doesn't have it and I think it's almost better for it. Tomb Raider is freaking awesome, single player, and I can only imagine how much more awesome it could've been if that time and the resources devoted to multiplayer had been put into more of the campaign aspects.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Can't say I'm surprised...I already got my PS3 Plat, and I wasn't as head-over-heels for the game as a lot of people to begin with, so I really think I'ma just give the PS4 version a pass. It's just not worth the bother.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

trophies for multiplayer is stupid, you should ba able to platinum the game on just the single player

if you have to have MP trophies then they should be seperate from the single player

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

Meh, I wish I can buy games without multiplayer. Why do they add MP to every game? I think it's much better to make SP only or MP only games. I like the idea that Titanfall is MP only.

And MP trophies are total BS. Gamers need to do something with that crap =). I mean, you can do some trophies for MP, forcing people to check it out, play a couple of marches, and that's it.