Can You Use the PS4 Controller on the PS3? The Answer's Yes

Well, sort of

We’ve already established in previous posts that the PlayStation 4’s controller is a massive improvement over its predecessor. While we’re big fans of the DualShock 3, the enhanced analogue sticks and triggers included onboard Sony’s latest input device make it significantly more satisfying to operate. As such, you may wish that you could use the DualShock 4 on your current generation console. The good news is that you can – but there are some caveats.

Computer Bild employee Udetto – who you may recognise from a slew of coverage that the German website’s been publishing over the past week or so – has uploaded a video testing out the new peripheral on the PlayStation 3, which works perfectly in games such as Urban Trial Freestyle – but only when its actually plugged in. Unfortunately, it seems that the device is unable to establish a connection to the console when you remove the USB attachment.

Furthermore, while it’s not shown in the video, the mutton chopped mogul admits that the controller failed to work with recent release FIFA 14. As a consequence, it seems like this is only going to function on a case-by-case basis. However, with the platform holder reportedly extending DualShock 4 support to PCs, we wouldn’t be surprised if the firm eventually added complete compatibility to the PS3, too.

Are you eager to use the next generation system’s input device on your existing machine? Check out the video below, and push our buttons in the comments section.

[via youtube.com, neogaf.com]

irken004

irken004 said:

Perhaps they can patch support in a PS3 update? I'm not aware if the DS4 uses a different wireless connection type.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

This is good news - my DualShock 3s are getting old and creaky now, and since the DualShock 4 is such a huge improvement, I'm glad that I'll be able to use it.

Epic

Epic said:

If it ever gets a patch I will get one before getting a PS4 just for the improved triggers and analog sticks and be ready for my future PS4 when the games finaly come over.

mibtar

mibtar said:

Has anybody played killzone or watch dog with it? Is there a big improvement with the aiming?

DVD_Sandwich

DVD_Sandwich said:

But does the PS button work? What about start/select? Does OPTIONS work as start and SHARE work as select?

DVD_Sandwich

DVD_Sandwich said:

Also, no games require the controller to be wireless. Even PS Move games can be used plugged in. (Although I would not recommend doing this)
EDIT: I'm referring to him saying it won't work with games that require wireless controller. I'm aware the DS4 only works with PS3 wired.

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

This is quite good news. I just got a PS3 and I'm already getting sick of the DS3, so this would be a welcome addition. It would also help the transition over to the PS4 in late 2014.

rjejr

rjejr said:

It would be a smart move on Sony's part. Get people who need extra PS3 controllers to buy PS4 controllers now, have them thinking about the PS4, then when they finally deicde to buy a PS4 (lets face it, not eveybody will buy 1 at launch) they'll already have extras. I don't see a downside.

This is just the opposite of Nintendo, who with the latest Wii U update lets you play Wii games on the Wii U Gamepad, but you can't use any of the Wii U Gamepad controls, you still need Wimotes. Even writing it now it still seems stupid.

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

I would be able to play PS3 games with my PS4 controller, since I then won't need to have 2 set of controller laying on my table