How Do Xbox One's Hardware Specifications Compare to PS4?

A broad look

Games are by far the most important part of any new console, but the hardware is significant too. While Sony spent a lot of time discussing the internals of the PlayStation 4 at its own unveiling conference earlier in the year, Microsoft was decidedly more muted during its presentation. However, following today’s press conference, the firm has now deployed the Xbox One’s official specifications. So, how does it stack up?

Well, the biggest area of discrepancy is in the memory. Sony’s system boasts 8GB GDDR5 RAM, while its counterpart features 8GB DDR3 RAM. The numbers may be the same on paper, but it’s worth noting that the PS4 is using a much faster type of RAM that will cede the system an advantage in some games. It’s also unclear how much memory the Xbox One’s operating system will require. We know that the PS4 will use roughly 1GB for system tasks.

Elsewhere, Microsoft has created its own CPU chip, while Sony has gone for a custom x86 AMD ‘Jaguar’ Processor. It’s difficult to compare the GPUs, as Microsoft is being a little bit reticent with some of the information. Despite the differences, though, there are a lot of obvious similarities, too: both will include Blu-ray drives, USB 3.0, and 4K support. They’ll each come with cameras as well, though the new Kinect is naturally a lot more capable than the refreshed PlayStation Eye.

Meanwhile, the biggest new additions to the Xbox One’s controller are force feedback triggers and a redesigned d-pad, while the DualShock 4 obviously includes a touchpad and light tracking bar. We’re sure that more comparisons will come to light over the coming days.

[via joystiq.com]

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Since the Xbox One seems so focused on doing everything, I can't see it being quite as specialised when it comes to running certain software. For that reason, and if Sony's statement of the PS4 being super easy to develop for is true, then I can see the PS4 having a definite advantage in this area.

8vpiper

8vpiper said:

Well technically we don't have that much info on ps eye unless i just missed it?
Their own cpu? please elaborate.

8vpiper

8vpiper said:

thanks @get2sammyb. hmmm no normal av out either, really seems that it was built with only america in mind. (we don't have cable we use satellite here) Just on a personal level. That is one ugly butt box!

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

It might be worth updating the article that 4K will only be supported for movies and not games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So does Kinect only have 1 lens now? I thought it had 2 for better depth perception before. And now Sony has 2. I need that guy and those kids from the ATT commercial. Infinity times infinity. pooooohh

Props to Sony and MS for including both ethernet and optical. I'm currently using both on my PS3. Wi-fi reception is lousy in that room and my sound system doesn't have HDMI in (yes I'm aware it's time to update.). I still haven't purchased a WiiU and those 2 omissions aren't helping it's case any.

DDR3 is probably fast enough to check fantasy league stats.

Ares1985

Ares1985 said:

Will Microsoft have to pay Sony a royalty fee because the Xbox-One has a Blu-ray drive?

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Ares1985 I thought of that too. Isn't BR format Sony's?
The difference between DDR3 and 5 is probably big enough for gamers to notice, especially re: frame rates and shadows and particle clouds or other RAM stuff like that. DDR5 has 8-bit prefetch buffers (lets it read more than 1 data "word" at a time if on same mem line = cool!) and DDR3 is not as efficient

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

@charlesnarles it was created by Blu-ray disc association. I think MS just needs to pay price of Blu-ray drives to manufacturer. And maybe go through some certification, not sure about that. Don't think that they need to pay some annual fee for using blu-ray.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

The Xbox1 specs are little vague, and with good reason too as Ive gathered from the chatter. Apparently the 'Durango' leak from a while back is pretty much what the specs are and when I had a look at them...well..It deosnt make good reading for Xbox fanboys. The fact theyve included 32MB of EDRAM to the GPU to try and alleviate the HUGE memory bandwidth difference between DDR3 n GDDR5 just says it all really...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Anybody consider the fact that MS deep pockets and console game rules just means all multiplat games will be written to the DDR3 spec so multiplat games won't actually look or run any better on the PS4? See Bayonetta.
Of course Sony 1st and 3rd party exclusives may be better, but being exclusives we wont have any comparisons.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@rjejr
Thats a good point, after all they did make a point of not allowing any game on the Xbox360 if it would be considered the inferior version. It all depends on how things go since they might not be in any position to make such demands.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@rjejr That's one thing I was worried about. But we also have to look at it from a different point of view, in the sense that so many developers produced their games on the 360 because it was supposedly 'easier' to develop for. If Sony are true to their words, the PS4 should be easiest next gen - also dependent on how development for the Xbox One is as well, mind.

Marcus09

Marcus09 said:

I always considered the Xbox stupid! I didn't change that consideration. Microsoft always copied others: they copied the Mac in the early days and there wouldn't be an Xbox if playstation didn't exist. Microsoft is not a creator, he's just a copycat.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@rjejr I for one wouldn't want an audio system without optical!

After considering everything, and actually getting to watch the reveal, a twitter statement I saw yesterday comes to mind, that basically this isn't MS competeing with Sony- it's MS beating Google and Apple to the all in one home entertainment centre.
Xbox One isn't what I want particularly-but it does look good enough to bring the 360 along for more of what the system does well. E3 should be an interesting ride this year.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@KALofKRYPTON - "I for one wouldn't want an audio system without optical!"

My audio system has 1 OPTICAL in, it doesn't have HDMI in or out.
I bought a $6 3-way optical switch from Monoprice for my PS3, cable box and eventual WiiU (which has worked well for the past 9 months though having to manually switch it is a nuisance). But the WiiU doesn't have optical out. And it doesn't have ethernet, and I already gave my Wii USB ethernet adapter to my sister, who lives 70 miles away.