Game of the Year: Best PlayStation 3 Game of 2012

Posted by Push Square Staff

Hit discs

For a year that promised so much from a retail perspective, 2012 was more of a letdown than adulthood. Multiple delays, mismanaged expectations, and some genuinely below-par blockbusters sucked the air out of the period more promptly than a perfectly positioned Whoopee Cushion. But while the past twelve months were defined by disappointment, at least there were a handful of titles worthy of our praise.

Best PlayStation 3 Game of 2012: Mass Effect 3

Easily the most controversial inclusion on our countdown, Mass Effect 3 was subject to a bigger backlash than a Justin Bieber single when it released in March. Equipped with an insulting ending and an even more loathsome developer response, the title seemed hell-bent on ruffling fan feathers for its first few months on the market.

But while we largely agree with the criticisms lofted at BioWare’s blockbuster, we’re not entirely convinced that they detract from the sequel’s many strengths. Commander Shepard’s final mission may have been obscured by fictional flaws, but it was still a tantalising slice of fan-service up until its final moral choice.

Mass Effect 3 did more than enough to secure a position at the top of our list

Oozing with interesting characters, memorable set-pieces, and some genuinely good gunplay – Mass Effect 3’s greatest undoing was the expectations its predecessors paved before it. And while the sequel may not have reached the intergalactic heights that it promised – it still did more than enough to secure a position at the top of our list.

“Mass Effect 3 is a fitting finale to one of gaming’s most ambitious undertakings,” we noted in our review. “And one whose influence is likely to stretch far beyond the reaches of this generation.”

Runner Up: Far Cry 3

Late launches are typically the death knell in a title’s game of the year ambitions, but luckily for Far Cry 3 we’re running behind schedule. Ubisoft’s tasty tropical adventure may not have been one of the most original releases of the year, but it still impressed us by virtue of its exceptional execution.

Shaping its predecessor’s ragged ideas into a cohesive whole, the open world first-person shooter made a last minute appeal for our attention when it released at the end of November. And even though the title was an extremely late addition to our poll, its sundrenched action and compelling narrative successfully secured it a place on our countdown.

Honourable Mentions: Assassin's Creed III, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Sleeping Dogs, XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

What was your favourite PlayStation 3 game of 2012? Do you agree with our winners? Let us know in the comments section below.

FuzzyYellowBalls

FuzzyYellowBalls said:

I would've thought a PS3 exclusive would've been named... or at least had more of them in the Honorable Mentions.
When lists like this are made it truly shows that there's really not that much difference between consoles. It's merely something for people to disagree upon and sometimes argue.
I wonder if one of the three won't make it past next generation.

Splat

Splat said:

It's probably my favorite trilogy ever so I don't have a problem with it. That said I think Journey or The Walking Dead should be GOTY.

psycoticdev1l

psycoticdev1l said:

Probably the worst choice for ps3 game of the year. Especially since... A. Best PS3 game should be an exclusive. B. I hate being a fan-boy, but the 360 version of ME was way better, in terms of stability and kinect voice support if you care for it. C. Even then, Mass Effect does not deserve it anyway, but whatever.

@psycoticdev1l I disagree that the 'Best PlayStation 3 Game' has to be exclusive. We'd be ignoring a lot of great games if we'd stuck to first-party releases.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@psycoticdev1l "hate being a fan-boy, but the 360 version of ME was way better, in terms of stability and kinect voice support if you care for it" Hardly anybody cares for Kinect support of any kind (and those who do are in need of heavy medication). Also, saying "if you care for it" kind of defeats your point. It's better if you care for this cruddy gimmick but if not its the same...

Knux

Knux said:

I don't really have a personal choice. I'm still playing mostly non-2012 games since there's so many of them! :O

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Have to say of all the awards handed out so far this is the most surprising. It didn't seem like you guys had the same enthusiasm for this game as Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2 or even Assassin's Creed 3. It's a good choice though, despite the slightly disappointing ending the game wasn't nearly as bad as some internet crybabies try to make it seem.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

The ending put a negative light on the rest of the game for so many people. It's a damn shame. But you can't let one gripe sully your entire experience - that's just childish. Despite what the haters say, Mass Effect 3 was probably my favourite game of 2012. I've played through it multiple times and put over 300 hours into the multiplayer. Definitely best value for money, that's for sure.

Deserving, I think.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I'd have had to vote for Dishonored. That game has literally blew my mind this year!

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Far Cry 3 for me hands down. Dishonored would be my runner up, followed up AC3.

Max Payne 3 deserves an honorable mention and is ignored here.

I don't think I ever forgave ME3 for making Omega DLC rather than in the game. I refuse to buy the DLC on protest.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

My favourite PSN game of the year is a toss-up between Journey and Unfinished Swan.

My favourite PS3 disc game was...well...honestly, I hadn't played very many new releases. I guess I'll go with Dishonoured, but I've only just started playing it.

I'm currently playing ACIII on Wii U, and if it's anything like the PS3 version (which it is, from what I've read), it is a glitchy, cumbersome and overrated mess.

Alpha

Alpha said:

My GOTY would have to be....
Mass Effect 3 and the Mass Effect Trilogy