Forums

Topic: New to Playstation what games do you recommend?

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

ninjafox

I finally got a PS3 in March after years of buying just Nintendo consoles and am wondering what titles I have missed out on having not owned a PS1/2?

Also what games from the PS3's back catalogue do you recommend?

So far I have:

Bioshock Infinate
Tales of Graces F
Catherine
Tales of Xillia
Ni No Kuni
The Last of Us
Resident Evil 5 & 6
Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2

Only genres I do not like are sports & racing.

I have heard that Shadow of the collosus is a great game, anyone care to tell me more about it? Is it similar in terms of gameplay to the Zelda series at all?
I plan to get a PS4 towards the end of next year as well as there should be plenty of games to choose from then.

I look forward to reading your suggestions!

ninjafox

ninjafox

Forgot to put I have Journey as well which I really enjoyed!

ninjafox

Splat

Uncharted Trilogy
Mass Effect Trilogy
Journey
Infamous 1 and 2
Diablo III
Grand Theft Auto V
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider
Heavy Rain
Red Dead Redemption
God of War Saga (You can get this collection pretty cheap and it comes with 5 games.)
The Sly Collection (Also cheap and comes with 3 games.)
Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time (The other R&C games are good but this one is a must.)

There are many more but that is off the top of my head.

Edited on by Splat

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Squiggle55

If you never owned a ps1 or ps2 and you like RPGs, I think it's obviously clear you need to download all of the Final Fantasies, right?

Splat put together a fantastic must-have list. I would personally add the Ratchet & Clank HD collection to get your hands on the first 3 ratchet games since you never owned a ps2. I would give Ratchet, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and Sly Cooper all a hard look coming over from Nintendo.

I would also download Costume Quest seeing as you're a fan of Nintendo and RPGs.

You may also appreciate 3D Dot Game Heroes if you're a Zelda fan.

Edited on by Squiggle55

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

Madd_Hatter401

The Last of Us!!!!!

Madd_hatter401 Proud owner of: PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Xbox one, Xbox 360, 3DS, Nintendo 64, Gameboy advance, Sega, and Sega Nomad.

PSN: Madd_hatter401 | Twitter:

Madd_Hatter401

Sorry didnt see you had the Last of Us lol just got excited. Skyrim is awesome and god of war series is epic!

Madd_hatter401 Proud owner of: PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Xbox one, Xbox 360, 3DS, Nintendo 64, Gameboy advance, Sega, and Sega Nomad.

Epic

If you want something similar to Zelda try to get Darksiders I or II.

PSN: Epic-ZX

PSN: Epic-ZX

Madd_Hatter401

@Epic good one.. Kindom of Amalur is another similar game to Zelda

Tasuki

If you are into FPS I high recommend the Borderlands series.  The weapon drops and the RPG elements in those games add alot of replay value, these are probably my favorite FPS.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Jaz007

I highly recommend you pick up the Uncharted series. There is no excuse not play them if you own a PS3.
I definitely recommend you pick the Ico and Shadow of the Collosus collection if only to get SotC. It's a great game. It really feels like you are playing a legend in the game of a caliber of the greatest Greed mythology legends.Great story too, the games is the definition of less more. It isn't really similar to Zelda at all though.
I would recommend getting the Transformer Cybertron games if you like Transformers, both Fall of Cybertron and War for Cybertron are great games. If you are looking for a good platformer, get the Sly Collection and get Thieves in Time if you enjoy that and want more. infamous is also a great game.
Batman: Arkham City is fantastic that is a must buy too, get whether you like Batman or not. (technically I played it on Wii U, but it's still the same game.)

Jaz007

darkhairwarrior

Well if you like FPS shooters with cool weapons, I'd suggest Resistance. If you're looking for a good platformer, try LittleBigPlanet 1 or 2. If you want an immersive game, try a Naughty Dog game (Uncharted series), The Last of Us for survival horror. If you're looking for a free roam sandbox game, try InFamous. If you want to try out a platformer like no other, with RPG elements and cool weapons, try a Ratchet & Clank game. I would suggest starting with thw HD Collection or the Future games. You can get almost all of these games for very cheap!

Wicked.

darkhairwarrior

Ratchet & Clank is KINDA similar to Zelda because it's a puzzle platformer RPG, but it focuses on shooting and platforming a lot.

Wicked.

Gamer83

You might be able to find a used copy of Heavenly Sword for dirt cheap. I highly recommend it if you can find it. Very short game, probably only 5 or 6 hours, but it's awesome while it lasts.

Gamer83

Sanquine

God of war 3 it is awesome
Puppeteer : just released
Kingdom hearts remix 1.5

PSNid= Sanquine90

PSN: Sanquine90

Squiggle55

@darkhairwarrior I can't believe I didn't think of LittleBigPlanet. I would absolutely highly recommend anyone new to playstation to play the first littlebigplanet.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

ninjafox

Thank you for all your help!
When I was posting I thought I was going to get blasted by a load of Sony fanboys for liking Nintendo as well, so I have been really pleased with the response.

Even though I have of course heard great things about the Uncharted trilogy  and enjoyed the Last of Us I had not looked into it much but after doing so I can see why people sing its praises it looks right up my street combining dramatic set pieces with combat and great dialogue. Whilst I may be late getting around to playing them the fact I can get all three for under £40 is a fantastic deal.

I plan to get the Jak & Daxter trilogy, Beyond two souls,  a Ratchet and Clank game, tomb raider & puppeteer at some point.

Once again thanks for your help guys and I will look into some of your other recommendations once I am done with these!

ninjafox

Madd_Hatter401

@Ninjafox I have a ps3, vita xb 360, 3DS, Wii, game boy advance flip, nintendo 64, sega gen, and a sega nomad.. All that said I'm a fan boy of awesomeness not a single system lol. Now I have a suggestion for you and please take notice! I noticed you are from EU and seeing that I would strongly suggest you get playstation plus as every month they give you games for FREE and awesome games at that! Check it out I promise it won't disappoint. I have plus but they give Americans crap games, EU seems to have strong titles month after month.

Splat
ninjafox

Even though I have of course heard great things about the Uncharted trilogy  and enjoyed the Last of Us I had not looked into it much but after doing so I can see why people sing its praises it looks right up my street combining dramatic set pieces with combat and great dialogue. Whilst I may be late getting around to playing them the fact I can get all three for under £40 is a fantastic deal.

The first Uncharted is good but 2 and 3 are on a whole other level.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

TheUberMonkii

Try great games like Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4 or The Walking Dead but you shouldn't forget about indies games either. Games like:
Lone Survivor            Limbo
Sound Shapes             Unfinished Swan
Stealth Inc              Hotline Miami
Thomas Was Alone         Guacamelee
These games are fantastic, pretty cheap and are usually disregarded just for being indie titles, but if you want a triple A game I would go with infamous 2 especially if you're gonna get Infamous Second Son on the PS4.

Edited on by TheUberMonkii

TheUberMonkii

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.