E3 2014: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End on PS4 Will Have You on the Edge of Your Seat

Naughty Dog expanding Drake's moveset

The teaser trailer for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End that was shown right at the conclusion of Sony’s E3 press conference earlier this week may have been stunning, but it’s ended up raising more questions than it’s answered. Sure, we can assume that protagonist Nathan Drake is a little older in this latest adventure, and is on yet another impossible mission – but other than that, there’s not a whole lot to go on.

As part of an interview posted to PlayStation’s official YouTube channel, directors Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann have attempted to clear up some of the mystery, explaining that developer Naughty Dog’s latest game will be an evolution of the ideas explored in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and The Last of Us – and that it will still offer the rollercoaster pacing and character-focused story telling that fans have come to expect.

“We’re just going deeper and richer with all of the mechanics,” Straley explained. “We want you on the edge of your seat, but at the same time, we want to make sure that you as players feel invested. We want to make sure that we have that with the epic, with the pacing, [and] with the characters that we’re known for.”

Druckmann added: “Our motto on Uncharted 2 was ‘keep it core’. No matter how big the set-piece gets, keep it on the control stick [and] keep the core systems, so taking that into Uncharted 4 has been all about expanding Nate’s core moveset. How do we build more systems that will give players more options – more ways to approach either exploration, traversal, or combat?”

The talented twosome also shared a word on the outing's outstanding visual fidelity, as glimpsed in the first footage. “The tech really allowed us to get more subtlety, and you’re seeing hints of that in the trailer,” beamed Druckmann. “How much we could show pain or grimaces, or... you know, it’s a subtle touch, but as [Drake] raises his eyebrows, the colour of your skin changes as the blood flows away from that compression. These things allow a realistic character to become much more grounded.”

However, the duo don’t believe that the graphics will matter all that much if the fiction and moment-to-moment action fail to deliver. “Ultimately, I think that it will come down to: how good is the gameplay and how good is the story?” concluded Druckmann. “Without that, you can have all of the graphical bells and whistles and it doesn’t matter, but, if you have that really strong foundation, those things can really help to take it over the top.”

[via youtube.com]

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Given the work they've done on The Last Of Us, I'm sure this is going to be pure Gold!

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

I think they should kill him off & let him go out with a BANG! :D I mean they could always do, if they did kill him off, a few 'the early days of Drake' games(like TR games did) if they wanted to do more game in the future. And i mainly say that because i want to see 'TLoU 2 & 3' really next on the PS4 from ND :P

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I notice Drake was wearing a wedding ring so I'm guessing the reason he needs to get back in the game is because something happened the elena or maybe they have a kid and he/she has been kidnapped?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I like that this seems like it will be the last Uncharted. I love the series but with each new gen I always look for ND to create a new universe because that's where I feel its best work is. I still have high expectations for this though, hopefully a great send off for what will go down as one of my favorite series ever.

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

I was really hoping we would get more footage of Uncharted 4. Does the lack off gameplay mean this is still years away you think?

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

Nathan Drake is a superb character and the Uncharted stories are very strong and well written. It's good to have a definitive end and see a well loved character and franchise end with dignity. Hopefully if this is a true ending it's done in a way that doesn't have fans screaming in outrage.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I am HYPED for this game. Sully better not die. Seriously, ND. Don't do it.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

I've put more gaming hours into Uncharted 2 & Uncharted 3 than anything else. I'm not sure whether U4 will be as good as U2 but it will be really good, that I am certain of (easily enough to pre-buy).

adf86

adf86 said:

They seem to be hinting at bringing some of the gameplay from TLOU like optional dialogue & on the fly crafting.