Wait, Why Does The Last of Us' Ellie Look All Grown Up?

Does this mean...?

Try not to get too excited, but there appears to be activity at Naughty Dog – and not of the employee departure type. At the end of last week, The Last of Us’ game director Bruce Straley teased some kind of prototype that gave him goosebumps on Twitter, and now an image of an older Ellie has appeared online. Who would like to connect the dots?

The shot was spotted on the official Facebook page of Marek Okon, a freelance concept artist who worked on last year’s survival horror smash. Even more interestingly, it appears to show a grown up Ellie strumming an acoustic guitar, which will carry some significance for those who’ve completed the game. Alongside the picture, the skilled sketcher said: “Let me tease you something... It’s coming.”

While it's natural to assume that the painter may be referring to a sequel of some kind, he could also be hinting at some form of personal project, or perhaps even a graphic novel or comic book. Still, we reckon that the upcoming PlayStation 4 port The Last of Us Remastered would provide a great place to tease a follow-up – and let’s not forget that the developer does have a track record for that sort of thing.

Update: It's not a sequel. "So before it gets blown out of proportion – this is going to be strictly a personal image," Okon said, no doubt in response to the overnight furore. "Is it about The Last of Us 2? Not really... Maybe... It's classified. But seriously, it's going to be just a fan art."

[via facebook.com, dualshockers.com]

Darthreven7

Darthreven7 said:

Whatever it is, I will get it lol. Still a little skeptical about a sequel, but Naughty Dog has yet to disappoint me.

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

I think people who have played the game would be disappointed if something other than a sequel is announced. Would Naughty Dog take that risk?

@divinelite Given how ridiculously well it sold, I think you'll get one anyway. Incredibly, this property is probably now more popular than Uncharted.

divinelite

divinelite said:

@get2sammyb well given uncharted is about adventure on uncharted areas it is normal for sequel

Last of us is.. well... it should be last. but i have to postpone my judgement later i think

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Always seemed to me like it should be a standalone game. Why do developers always have to ruin everything great by sequelizing it? Remember Avatar? That WAS a good movie. And I'd like to remember it as such. But, fans clamored for a sequel and now it looks like there's going to be. Which will ruin the story, of course. Just like Final Fantasy sequels (X-2 anyone?). Just like Star Wars prequel sequels. It never fails. Sequels diminish the quality of the franchise. Leave this one alone, and do something new. You're already remaking it, isn't that enough?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@AFCC

True, true. Not saying all games shouldn't have sequels, just some. Idk how to explain the difference but I'm sure you know what I'm saying. Some stories are meant to stand alone.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

Avatar was always going to have sequels...and I'm sure Naughty Dog built a rich enough story and environment to do something more with it....try having faith in a company that's been pretty good and finding more to do with it's characters than knocking out cheap cynical cash ins.

AFCC

AFCC said:

@JaxonH

I get you, it's like a story that ends and you feel like it's done, it doesn't need to continue and you think it's perfect that way. I don't think TLoU needs a sequel too...but oh well, it would be a shame if we lost the clickers and all that :D

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@DaftPlayStation

It's not that I doubt it'll be a good game, it's just that when you force a sequel to a story that was designed to have closure, it never turns out as well. Sure it'll be a great game and all, but so would a different game if they chose to do something else. And a different game could do anything, with anything. It wouldn't be confined to align with a story that's already been told.

kupo

kupo said:

Grrr...I hate being teased! Show me everything or keep it all hidden!

3rdEyeMind

3rdEyeMind said:

The Ellie, Joel story is 100% complete. Any further plot advancements will completely ruin the artistic impression the original game has left on us.

AeroZeppelin

AeroZeppelin said:

@JaxonH Fair point i gat what yor saying but sometimes it does turn out as well a good example being Star Wars and Toy Story Empire Strikes Back was better then A New Hope Toy Story 2 was equally as good as the first one and Toy Story 3 was better then the first too this could be one of those times when the sequel is as good or better than the original

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@JaxonH
If its what I'm thinking it is Avatar's sequel isn't supposed to be a direct one, assuming your referring to the underwater one that is.

You make a good point though, while it might be nice sometimes the end should stay the end. It probably won't ruin anything but they might not be able to get it just right the second time either.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Totally saw this on reddit, I just thought it was someones fanart and dint look into it much. Awesome though now I'm all excited!

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@3rdEyeMind how?
-SPOILER ALERT, YO-
They decide to just keep wandering it ends on a cliffhanger. I'd have loved it if they'd add some dlc alternate endings to spice up the replay value like a normal survival horror game. Or like.. a sequel could star a custom character and be kinda open world as to not ruin how anyone feels about the first game while being set a few or many years later

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

Because TLOU is one of my top five favorite games of the many I've played, any addition to the story or sequel is welcome with open arms... and a pre-order.

As tough as little Ellie is, it will be interesting to see how much more BAD-A__ Ellie will be as a young adult. How has the world changed in those years? Have the clickers evolved? Can't wait to find out.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

I could have swore naughty dog said if there was ever a sequel to the last of us that it would not feature Joel and ellie because their story was done.

N711

N711 said:

@get2sammyb Article needs updating::
'So before its gonna get blown out of proportions - its gonna be strictly personal image.
Is it about TLOU2? Not really... Maybe... Its classified ;P
But seriously its gonna be just a fan art'