Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue 27

Here comes the sun

The sun is shining, the weather is sweet – and already this editor is acting like a classic Brit by complaining about the scorching temperature outside. It’s all shorts, flip-flops, and closed curtains here at Push Square towers, as we attempt to avoid the heat and enjoy some good old-fashioned gaming time. Regardless of the weather in your area, we’d love to know what your agenda is for the coming days. Peruse our plans, and then leave your itinerary in the comments section below.

Sammy Barker, Editor

I’ve had a pretty busy week, so I’ll be venting any lingering stress in the God of War Collection on the PlayStation Vita. While it’s far from the best port ever, these classics still hold up incredibly well, and I’m enjoying revisiting them for the umpteenth time on the portable platform. Other titles on my agenda include The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for the PlayStation 4, which has its moments, but won’t be winning any awards at the end of the year.

Jamie O’Neill, Retro Editor

I'm setting aside spare gaming time during May as a celebration of kart racers, because if you own multiple consoles and visit our friends at Nintendo Life, then you’ll realise why I'm hyped to explore the genre this month. There are plenty of mascot-themed racing highlights on PlayStation formats, too, but I most consistently return to Naughty Dog's Crash Team Racing on the PSone, because it set a higher standard for licensed-based karting games on PlayStation in 1999.

Kell Andersen, News Reporter

My weekend will primarily be spent finishing off Child of Light. It's taken me an absurdly long time to play through the gorgeous role-playing game, because every time that I enter a new area, I have to stop for a few seconds to enjoy the view. If I do manage to save the land of Lemuria, though, I may revisit Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes to see if I can earn a few more of those elusive Trophies.

Nicola Hayden, News Reporter

It’s been a particularly gloomy week, as I’ve mourned my inability to play re-release Soul Sacrifice Delta. Avoiding the lure of my ongoing Vita addiction has been tough, but Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars has filled my time instead. Juggling six girls’ happiness and all of their children is a full-time commitment that I’ve embraced. I must admit, though, I’ve spent most of my time taking screenshots of situations that desperately need some additional context...

Alex Stinton, Reviewer

With the sun finally shining here in the UK, I’ll be putting down my controller, heading outside, and feeding the ducks this weekend. Nah, who am I kidding? What I’ll actually be doing is closing the blinds to keep the sun off my screen, and getting killed over and over in Dark Souls II. Praise the sun.

Graham Banas, Reviewer

I’m in the midst of trying to set a new hitting streak record in MLB 14 The Show; I’m sneaking up on Joe D as we speak. Otherwise, I’ll be biding my time until Transistor, which will have 100 per cent of my attention come Tuesday. Anything from Supergiant Games is something that I need to experience.

Joey Thurmond, Reviewer

While I eagerly await the arrival of Transistor this Tuesday, I’m actually taking the weekend off in the glorious mountains of Boone, North Carolina. I’ve brought my PSone along in order to play a little bit of Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage. When I get home on Sunday, I may dive back into BioShock Infinite, too.

Mat Growcott, Reviewer

This weekend is looking like it's going to be a scorcher – the perfect opportunity to explore the English landscape without fear of being rained upon. It goes without saying, then, that I'll be sat in a darkened room playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim instead – after all, at least when I shout at strangers in the land of Tamriel, I don't get have to have complicated conversations with police officials.

Simon Fitzgerald, Reviewer

With my exams already underway, revision will be taking up most of my free time. However, I may have time for a couple of quick games of Battlefield 4 with friends.

Will you be avoiding the sunshine in favour of your favourite gaming system this weekend? Which titles will be kicking your chosen console’s fan into overdrive? Let us know in the comments section below.

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

I'll be playing MGS2 for the first time, and also collecting some trophies on second son and ffx hd...

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

MLB the show 14, and Fallout 3 on the 360 (new vegas is freezing every min or so now on PS3 :( damn ultimate edition)

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@JaredJ nice! It's a good time. Don't be discouraged if the beginning is harder because you feel stronger later in the game. Hope you didn't pick survivor your first try!

iDangerMouse_

iDangerMouse_ said:

I'll be spending the majority of my weekend chilling out and playing Killzone: Shadow Fall! Started playing it recently and been hooked on the MP since. Other than that, some time wasting may be done on Diablo III on my xbox 360. Levelling up a hardcore witch doctor (level 32 currently) before I start nightmare mode. Should be a very good weekend, for me, anyway.

Jo_Jo718

Jo_Jo718 said:

Shadow of the Colossus HD, only got to the fourth colossi, yet I'm already loving this game, it truly deserves the love it gets!!

Punished_Boss

Punished_Boss said:

MGS 5: Ground Zeroes (PS3), GTA 5 (PS3), MGS Peace Walker (Vita), Destiny of Spirits (Vita), Killzone Mercenary (Vita) & Far Cry: The Wild Expedition (PS3).

I would have bought Soul Sacrifice Delta if it weren't digital only.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I will be playing Assassin's Creed IV (PS4) trying to defeat all the legendary ships, Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection (PS3) because I like kicking as as Gohan :-) and Saints Row 3 (360) as it was free so I might as well see what all the fuss is about for that game

I also have Final Fantasy VII on my PSVita so I'll be messing around on that little classic too at some point

so many games, so little time ;-)

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

Like Jamie I will be preparing for Mario kart 8 by playing mk7 and mk double dash as well as my usual sessions of factions on The Last of us.

billy991

billy991 said:

My time is being taken up with MGS HD collection and Football Manager Classic 2014 on my Vita :)

kupo

kupo said:

Since Advanced Warfare was announced, I now own every COD game (minus expansions) and am going through the campaigns in order. Call of Duty Classic on Veteran....hardest FPS game I've ever played, actually.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

i'll be playing ESO. I was going to get it for ps4 BUT due to the 6 month delay I caved and got it for PC. it has taken over my life. I am in love with it.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

@ReigningSemtex

god I miss double dash. it's my favorite of the series. maybe because it was the first game I ever bought with my own hard earned money, or maybe because it was awesome.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@SunnyShores Yeah me too my favourite of the series so far i loved the courses and 2 players in a kart, me and my friend spent so much time playing that. The day I first played it round his I decided to buy a gamecube and double dash bundle the first console I had bought brand new with my own money too. Ah good times

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Just got off work (weekend OT, a necessity for keeping up with recent releases across all consoles), and bout to settle in for a nice, long binge. Here's my itinerary for the next 36 hours:

PS4: Trials Fusion
Wii U: Scram Kitty.....Child of Light.....Mario Kart 8 (Gamestop pre-launch play event on Sunday)
Vita: Borderlands 2.....God of War HD Collection
3DS: Mario Golf World Tour
Wii: Super Smash Bros Brawl (Project M mod)
DS: Advance Wars: Dual Strike

BL_Donth

BL_Donth said:

Just bought Thief (PS4) from the Square Enix sale. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm also playing TES IV: Oblivion (X360) again because I love that game too much. I also have other games listed on my Backloggery's Now Playing List but those are the two main games I'm playing. It should be more than enough to tide me over until Watch_Dogs and Mario Kart 8.

Dohv

Dohv said:

On my PS4 I got MLB 14 The Show last week, and its amazing. I've been playing that a lot.

Next weekend is my birthday and I should be finally getting my Xbox One (Finally !) I'm looking forward to that. I ordered Dead rising 3 and Ryse off Amazon and they should be hear on Thursday.

And I'm looking foward to getting Watch Dogs on PS4 and getting Wolfenstien The New Order on Xbox One when they release in a few days.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

I'm hard at work on bound by flame(ps4) ! I think this game got such a raw deal with reviewers. I am enjoying it so much I'm about 24 hours in at this point so I think I'm nearing the end. I want to get it beaten for Tuesday so I can jump into wolfenstien right away on my Xbox one.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Well had a guys night tonight and we played The Simpsons Arcade game on XBLA, some Resogun on PS4 and a bit of Marvel VS Capcom 2. Tomorrow I hope to be able to sink some more time into Thief.

Martinthemonkey

Martinthemonkey said:

I'm on a re-run of Bioshock and Bioshock 2 because I've not played the DLC (incl Minerva's Den) which I'm building up to.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

@Martinthemonkey the versions are ok, but have some framerate issues and the cutscenes are worse than the PS2 version, but you know they are excellent games so I decide to replay them.

Tintin

Tintin said:

I'm giving Mario kart Wii 'a last hurrah' before the Wii network is turned off on the 20th.

To say I'm pumped about the release of Mario kart 8 would be an understatement.