Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes May Be the Most Expensive Two Hours Ever

Shorter than a Metal Gear Solid 4 cut-scene

It’s been compared to the technically staggering ‘Tanker’ mission in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, but with a premium price point attached, many were expecting Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes to have a little more girth to it. Sadly, it turns out that that may not be the case, as reports suggest that the standalone prologue – which will retail for up to $40 on the PlayStation 4 – will take you around two hours to complete.

The surprising snippet comes courtesy of Game Informer magazine’s latest cover story, which originally mentioned that it had managed to see out the main objective and some side quests during a four hour hands-on session with the paltry prologue. However, the actual quote inside the issue is a little more damning: “Judged just by the core story mission, Ground Zeroes is short,” it reads. “We completed it in just less than two hours.”

Fortunately, a recently leaked list of Trophies suggests that there may be much more to the game. For starters, it seems that the package will be padded out with ‘Side Ops’ and ‘Extra Ops’ challenges, each of which will be ranked. Moreover, there’ll be cassettes and other items to collect in the sandbox environment. As such, it’s hard to criticise the game without playing it – after all, these may be the best two hours of action ever conceived.

Still, it’s perhaps the price point that’s causing the backlash among fans and casual observers alike. If this was included free with, say, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, then we don’t think that anyone would be complaining. However, the idea of paying $40 – it’s cheaper if you nab it digitally or on the PlayStation 3 – understandably isn’t sitting well with most consumers. Are you going to stump up the extortionate fee anyway? Point your silenced pistol at the comments section below.

[via gameinformer.com, kotaku.com]

Related Games

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

I don't know what to believe =(. Is it really so short? Or is this just another mistification? OMG!!! I need to check it out for myself.

Chris1975

Chris1975 said:

Jeez, AC4: Freedom Cry is longer and cost's £7.99 here in the UK......Pass!!!

@Gemuarto Sounds legit to me. The unanswered question is: how long will the side missions take you? If they're interesting and add another four or five hours to the game, then that sounds reasonable again.

MatGrowcottStaff

MatGrowcott said:

For those interested, Play-Asia are still doing it for £20.90. It's an import so you might have to muck around to get included DLC working, but that's nicer than a £40 price tag.

goonow

goonow said:

I will probably get it anyway. Its an actual next gen game and there just arn't a lot of those to choose from right now. If this were two years into the life cycle i would pass cause the library would be there, but right now its not.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

In MGS series, the gameplay is so entertaining to me (when you can take advantage of it between hour long cutscenes).
Nevertheless, it's the story that keeps me hooked, so i wonder if the side missions are at least slightly connected to a bigger plot or they are just a "highest-score-o-rama".
Maybe Kojima went for a pure sandbox experience, but i'd be mildly disappointed.
Guy's not a fool, though, and these days one mistake is enough to piss off longtime aficionados (unless you call yourself Nintendo, in that case make mistakes at your leisure, fans won't bother and cheer you up while you keep your hands in their pockets), so i'll wait and see.

Epic

Epic said:

Interesting, I've played DLC longer than this whole game xD

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

Yeah. I've seen it around the UK for about £25 ish. If it might take 6-8 hours to complete all the side mission etc too then it ain't so bad at all. I'm just getting started on the HD collection on my vita as I've not played mgs since the ps2 era I believe. On a separate note I just saw 2 ps4's on the shelf in a tesco extra. Wow, a first. Though for some reason the boxes looked very tattered. Perhaps someone came in for an xb1 and finding out there were none they then took out their frustration. Good to finally see them appearing on shelves.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Guess they're trying to compete w/ The Bouncers 20 minutes of game-play for $50. Though you could play as the 3 different characters for 1 hour for $50.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I preordered from Amazon, but it said "standard edition," which makes me feel kinda ripped-off. I thought they might have given us a beta of MGO with it, since I know they're busy working on it. Doesn't seem like it, based on their website : (

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Cancelling my pre order. 5-6 hours was even pushing it. But "less than two"? No. Even 4 hours, no. That's like $10 an hour. For that wage the game oughta be sweeping my porch and taking out the garbage.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Wasn't planning on getting either MGS game anyway, so no skin off my nose.

Loved the first, enjoyed the second, didn't bother with the third, played through 4 once and never touched it again - lost interest in the series after that.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'll wait for reviews, then decide whether to buy this or not. If the side missions bring the total up to 5-6 hours and the game is good, I'll pick it up, if not, I'll just shift the pre-order over.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

I'm going to be buying it because if I didn't then I'd effectively be kissing the Metal Gear franchise goodbye because I don't think the subsequent games would make any sense. Kojima's track record is more than good enough for me to extend the benefit of the doubt.