Out Today: Grand Theft Auto Online Makes a Connection on PS3

Better with you

Update: And it's up, folks. The patch weighs in at 39MB on the PlayStation 3. Have you downloaded it yet? What are you planning to do online first? Let us know in the comments section below.

Original: Grand Theft Auto V may have launched two weeks ago, but it’s about to get a second wind courtesy of the sequel’s hotly anticipated multiplayer component. Grand Theft Auto Online will launch at around 07:00AM EST / 12:00PM BST, when you’ll need to download and install a 100kb title update in order to unlock the mode. From there, you’ll be able to access the online component by selecting the fourth character slot in the title’s character select wheel.

The mode’s set a few months prior to the events of the main campaign, and will see you interacting with familiar faces from the world of Los Santos. You’ll be able to purchase properties, hang-out in your friends’ gaffes, and go on heists together. Microtransactions will be supported in the game, but the publisher insists that it’s found a balance by locking equipment behind Reputation Points. In short, you can’t simply buy your way to all of the best gear.

According to the publisher, the launch of Grand Theft Auto Online merely represents the start of the experience. New jobs will be added over time, while the service will expand with a Content Creator tool later in the year. Nothing has been announced, but you should also probably expect a number of DLC packs in the future, ranging from cosmetic additions to new vehicles and more. The world is clearly Rockstar’s oyster here.

We’ll update this post as soon as Grand Theft Online goes live. In the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts on the multiplayer component in the comments section below. Are you looking forward to diving online? Who are you planning to play with? Do you even expect the game’s servers to cope with today’s inevitable demand? That last point’s particularly pertinent given the state of the Rockstar Social Club over the past couple of weeks...

Epic

Epic said:

Going to try it after finishing some college classwork, I'm really excited.
My only worry is that I suck creating characters and it might look horrible -_-

@Epic Haha, I'm sure you'll be able to change it if you're not happy with the look. Does anyone know if you can play as a female?

Epic

Epic said:

@get2sammyb Yes you can create a female character, Rockstar confirmed this long time ago.
Done with all my work, going to drop it on college and play GTA Online for the rest of the day :D

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Of course im curious but not too much in a rush getting online really, hopefully its a bit sorted in the evening, as I have to finish some work here before anyways!

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@Epic Actually, you don't choose all the little details on the face with GTA online, you choose parents and grandparents, then your character pops out.

Splat

Splat said:

I made a female character but haven't been able to get online... I'm with @get2sammyb all the characters end up looking ugly. I ended up just picking random in the end. On the plus side my Dad is John Marston from RDR. :)

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Well I like how the characers look "average" like the average fat guy gang banger around the hood, no real beauties. People are UGLY, most of us anyways in some sense. Don't get me wrong but I prefer this "dirty" approach to the superhuman beauties seen in so many games (especially asian ones where all guys seem to be androgynic super-hardcore and all the girls seem to be stuck in their preteens and only their boobs got a massive hormone-boost). :D

Splat

Splat said:

The first female I made ended up looking like a Dark Elf from Skyrim...

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Man I want to try this but I feel I will get bored of it very quickly since everyone I know has GTA V on PS3 and I have it on 360. :( Wish they did cross platform play.

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

I want to try this also but unfortunately the cloud servers are down. First time I tried I couldn't load into the game, next two attempts where cloud server errors. Grrrrr... I will remain patient since I'm sure GTA online will rock.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Grr I can't try until at least 10:30 pm pacific time. Work and college totally ruined my Fall gaming spree. You really pick the gparents? I do that in Sims3 to get my legacy founder. Pretty in-depth