Lightning Can't Help Cosplaying As Her Favourite Final Fantasy VII Characters

If in doubt, bring out Aerith

You know that times are tough when Square Enix starts leaning on Final Fantasy VII nostalgia. The publisher refuses to reboot the PSone Classic for modern consoles, but is more than happy to play on your fondness for the JRPG favourite. Not content with the recently revealed Cloud costume for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, the Japanese giant has also announced that the franchise’s pink haired protagonist will be able to dress up as series heartbreaker Aerith – complete with flower basket and staff.

The costume is currently only confirmed for Japan, where it will be available as a bonus alongside a V Jump magazine strategy guide. We fully expect this to make its way overseas, though. After all, how else is the publisher going to get the general public to care about the latest instalment in its Fabula Nova Crystallis plotline?

[via finalfantasy.net, siliconera.com]

@Gamer83 It does seem a bit desperate. By all accounts the game is actually pretty good, but I feel like Square Enix has burnt its bridges with this cast. They're better off just putting out FF15 in a timely manner.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@get2sammyb

Completely agree, get XV out as soon as possible (SE has to make sure it's polished though) and then hope that it does enough to win back many of the fans lost after XIII. Anticipation is high but SE has to deliver, if not, I won't say the series is dead but it will be in serious jeopardy, much the same way Resident Evil is.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

I really don't understand SE's timing for this game. I find both FFXIII entries quite decent and enjoyable, but by the time this one comes out all eyes will be on the PS4 and it will be hard to play this without thinking "yeah, but I'd rather be playing XV". It seems just so out of place. I would understand a Q4 2013 release, but on February 2014 I don't see it making a big splash, except if it's amazing, but I doubt it.

Confused_DudeStaff

Confused_Dude said:

How do we make the new, totally unwanted, FF game appeal to FF fans?
I know! Let's put in a costume of one of the characters from that game we won't acknowledge exists, despite the fact that most FF fans would rather play that than this!

Faustek

Faustek said:

@get2sammyb everyone says the game is good, those that played if.
I for one don't care about the costumes, but man..

"Lightning is a strong female character, an inspiration for the industry. Watch as she hops around, half-naked in her bunny costume! " - Zack Reese.

Then again I will probably pick this up at a sale at a later date just so I have all the FF games....

So many outfits that just doesn't suit her Yunas being the worst.

Snkfiend

Snkfiend said:

I grew up on FF7 beat the amazing game and moved on FF8 was better FF to my opinion and Xenogears is the most favorite RPG in the 90's. The game is overrated sad to say that's why I never liked FF 13 because of Lighting overrated status.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Also, it's a shame Sephiroth can't do to Lightning what he did to Aerith - she's much more deserving.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I'll never understand the hate this game is getting. This was a popular request in the SE forums. I think it's awesome that SE is offering a few throwbacks for individuals who played the old games.

In terms of old fans not wanting this game: SE could release ANYTHING and these fans would find a reason to complain. Unless they hear a remake of FF7, they don't see to care. There are still a lot of people I know personally who are excited about this game (including myself)

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I am a huge fan of old Final Fantasy games and of course I would love to see SE give Final Fantasy the Dragon Quest treatment and release a good quality old school Final Fantasy game. Maybe on a handheld. That being said, I also had absolutely no complaints about XIII. I loved playing it. BUT, I do lack any excitement whatsoever for direct sequels of FF games for some reason. I can't explain it. I've barely touched XIII-2.

JayArr

JayArr said:

That last part of the video when she gets it in the chest brought back all them feels.
;___;