Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 583

Tasuki

After this month's games next month's seems blah. Sad thing is I totally spaced on Hydro Thunder and forgot to lock it in. I hope they offer it again for free at some point, or does anyone know if I can contact MS and maybe get it free. I did have Gold for the time I just forgot to download it.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

shonenjump86

Anybody getting Cuphead? It's my type of game and I like that 1930's look.

Yo, what's up? Not a fanboy to any console, but I do spend time on Xbox 360 more than anything else at the moment. I play a lot of fighting games such as Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive.
PSN: shonen86
Xbox Live: shonenjump86
3DS: 4339 2566 1897
Add me if you like :)

PSN: Shonen86

crippyd

@shonenjump86 I'll be getting it at some point but not tomorrow.

@BAMozzy @Tasuki The GwG do look a bit poor this month, I think the PS+ games look better to my eyes this coming month. Also I don't think you can claim a game once the month has passed.

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd They are not exciting to me but each to their own. I haven't really been enthralled by the XB1's line up for a few month's now - although Forza 5 and Trials Fusion aren't 'bad' games. I admit I am not a fan of MGS and Amnesia doesn't really interest me either but I am still more likely to add both to my collection than these. I still have Rayman Legends on XB1 and MoH: Airbourne wasn't the 'best' when it released 10yrs ago.

Its a good job October is a 'very' busy month for me. Not sure I will play most/all of the games I have pre-ordered until November (If I can resist). Therefore I don't know that I will have time or want to play Octobers 'free' games on either system anyway.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

belmont

I havrn't played a Forza game before and I prefer more "arcade" racers (outrun, midnight club, need for speed etc.)

Should I try Motorstorm 7 (or 6) or Horizon 3?

belmont

KratosMD

@belmont I can highly recommend Forza Horizon 3. It's basically a mix of simulation and arcade racing and it's set in an open world, which makes it a blast to play. Safe to say, I enjoyed it a lot and I would actually consider it to be one of the best (exclusive) games on Xbox One.

'To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly'
'They fail to live because they are always preparing to live' - Alan Watts

BAMozzy

@belmont Forza Motorsport (Motorstorm was a fun PS3 arcade racer) is more like Gran Tourismo, Project Cars type of thing. Its difficult to assess whether you should play 7 as that hasn't released yet but it does look like it will be an improvement over 6 with more 'dynamic' weather. Like others in the series though, you have the usual solo progression through a variety of disciplines, the ability to upgrade your car (but be warned, if you put too much into it, your car can jump a class and be ineligible unless you swap some parts out) You can get very technical in setting ride height, tire balance, brake bias etc but if that isn't 'you' or your field of expertise, you can just leave those settings at 'default' and still have fun. Its got multiple degrees of adjusting the difficulty - from providing the full track racing line to just braking line to nothing at all. You can also rewind (or turn that option off entirely), set the AI difficulty etc. The more aids you turn off, the higher the difficulty settings, the bigger the 'bonus' so you can tailor the experience to your ability - maybe just above to push you and earn more credits. It is though, like any other Racing Sim in that you have a range of cars going from 'basic' road going small cars all the way up to supercars, le mans cars and even racing trucks. The principal is still the same though, in that your objective is to drive around tracks, racing other similar cars.

Horizon 3 is a bit more like Burnout Paradise. You can spend all day just driving around 'Australia - not bothering to race. You will come across drivers though that if you want to race on the fly, you can - get from point A to B as fast as possible along roads with 'normal' drivers and you don't necessarily have to stay on the Road either. There are some 'wacky' events - one of the first is to race a Jeep - except that Jeep is dangling from a Helicopter and gets dropped metres from the finishing line... You can set up your own events - select the cars/classes/laps, time of day etc too - whether on or off road. It has jumps and boards to smash, hidden cars (called Barn Finds that if you locate, will be restored and added to your garage. You have customisation etc too.

Personally I prefer Horizon - just because its 'different' where as Motorsport, its virtually the same everytime. OK so the cars and their specs may differ, the tracks differ - even the weather now adds a bit more variety and unpredictability, but the principal is the same - beat other cars to the finish and then rinse/repeat but Horizon, its up to you if you just want to drive, race - even ad-hoc rather than be dictated that this 'car class' and 'track' is 'next' in the season. Its that freedom and variety that Horizon offers that appeals more to me but for others its 'too' casual and 'only 30fps' - although runs smoothly enough...

Anyway hope that helps

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

belmont

@KratosMD @BAMozzy Thanks for the detailed answers my friends. To be fair I don't have an xbox, I haven't even held the controller lol.

After the introduction of the "Play Anywhere" thing I started catching up. I firstly tried Killer Instict and liked it. Now I have sometime off from my "good" PC I use for coding so I wanted to try a Forza game and, for me, Horizon 3 seemed a better choice from what I saw online. Thanks for the help. I will buy look for a cheap digital version of it.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

andreoni79

First NBA 2K18 with its 5 GB save file; now Forza 7 with a 50 GB day one patch.
What's next, a 300 GB OS for our consoles?

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

KratosMD

andreoni79 wrote:

now Forza 7 with a 50 GB day one patch.

@andreoni79 Haha seriously? What were they thinking..

'To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly'
'They fail to live because they are always preparing to live' - Alan Watts

FullbringIchigo

andreoni79 wrote:

now Forza 7 with a 50 GB day one patch.

REALLY! that's as big as an actual game plus what about those of us in areas that don't get high internet speeds even on fiber (it's about 30mbs where i live), it's going to take AGES!

you know if a game has a day one patch that big they should release it on the store instead of as an update and let people download it early so they can ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME THE BROUGHT!!!

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

My top 3 Star Wars Movies are, The Empire Strikes Back, Revenge of the Sith & The Force Awakens, YEAH i said a Prequel movie WHAT OF IT?

andreoni79

@FullbringIchigo I don't have a XB1 but I remember the 360 let you manage install, DLC and patch files separately. I just have a 7gb/month plan for my phone and it's more then enough for work and daily life. If a game is released broken and with a huge patch then I just wait for the Goty edition. Will I soon have to spend €30 month only to play offline games?!? I know I sound like a 20th century grandpa, but I can happily live with a new game on disc and a new book on paper every month...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

BAMozzy

Microsoft has revealed the first 13 backwards-compatible original Xbox games for Xbox One. These first 13 will be available tomorrow, October 24. All are enhanced with 1080p resolution, higher and/or smoother framerates, and faster loading times.

These are the first 13 games you can play on any Xbox One if you own the title.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden Black
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Fuzion Frenzy
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Dead to Rights
Black
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Sid Meier’s Pirates!
Red Faction II
BloodRayne 2
The King of Fighters Neowave

If you still have your original Xbox disc, just insert it into your Xbox One console. If you own it digitally, that will also work. For titles that support System Link multiplayer, it still works – even across the Xbox family. Online multiplayer is not supported, however, as servers for original Xbox games were shut down years ago.

Also Microsoft’s Xbox backwards compatibility team is adding Xbox One X-specific enhancements to four high-profile Xbox 360 games that are already playable on Xbox One:
Halo 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout 3
Assassin’s Creed

All four updates will be available for free to anyone who owns the game on November 7, the same day the Xbox One X launches. Some titles now have 10-bit color depth unlocked where they previously had 8-bit, others have HDR lighting enabled, and all have nine times the on-screen pixels.

crippyd

My internet is going to take a pounding on 7th November then, I have Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed and then all the other stuff that'll need downloading when I fire up my Scorpio Edition.

The only game I had off the first list was Black and that was a superb game. Very challenging and fantastic graphics at the time. I watched a lets play type video of it the other day and it still looked quite good for such an old title.

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd I have an external HDD and as some games will be patched before the 7th, I can pre-download in readiness. The X 360 editions are, as afar as I am aware, just using the games as they were coded/built but just changing the settings rather than adding any 'extras' to them

Ninja Gaiden Black (OG Xbox Game) was actually made in widescreen and at a higher resolution but was limited by the hardware. I guess its no different to most of todays games that are built in 4k but then limited to 1080p (or less) for the consoles

Here is a video of KOTTR and how it compares on both XB1s and OG Xbox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2yXh31wy14&t=0s
As you can see, the resolution does make quite a difference BUT you can also see how the textures are not replaced by higher res versions. Like Forza 7, RotTR, Shadow of War, Gears 4 etc, the X will have high res textures which is why these 'updates' and/or texture packs will be needed for the X and why the file sizes are 'large'.

Taken from IGN
“This detail has always been there, but the technology of the day was holding it back,” said Xbox principal software engineer Eric Heutchy as he pointed out the orange bill and black outline now clearly visible in 1080p on a duck icon in Fuzion Frenzy’s “Twisted System” minigame.

Basically saying that these 'old' games were not necessarily built at SD resolutions - even back then and so that 'detail' the extra resolution is able to offer is not something that is being added 'now' but because of higher quality hardware and displays, being able to show it.

I think its great that these games are not at the exact same level at which we first played these. The fact the new hardware can allow games to be 'enhanced' through nothing more than a 'tweak' of a setting or two (like increasing the output resolution) and some of the 'inbuilt' Anisotropic Filtering (in the case of those X enhanced games) is great.

I know that some games still show their age in more than just visuals (especially the OG BC titles and the 4:3 ratio) but at least they have made these 'better' than they were - maybe not quite as good as we remember. I say remember because I remember thinking how 'lifelike' Goldeneye looked and being amazed at how well they captured the actors likeness for all the characters but look back at these now and you wonder how you could have been so impressed by the visuals, how rough they look etc. I thought KOTTR was so realistic but compared to what Dice's Star Wars: Battlefront 2 looks like, its a massive difference

FullbringIchigo

SWEET Knights of the Old Republic, i love that game but i haven't been able to play it since my OGXB died

i'll be all over that game tomorrow ^_^

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

My top 3 Star Wars Movies are, The Empire Strikes Back, Revenge of the Sith & The Force Awakens, YEAH i said a Prequel movie WHAT OF IT?

crippyd

@BAMozzy I have 2 external drives so I'd best start getting them sorted with the 4K patches so I'm not waiting an age when the X arrives. I moved all my games off the internal so it'll be just swapping the drives over.

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd I only have the one - but its still a decently sized (5TB) HDD. With the new update, you should be able to back-up your profile and enable 4k downloads. The back-up to an External means that when your X arrives, you set it up and connect the External HDD then switch it on. Your X will then set itself up with your profile and settings so its ready to go straight away and hopefully with a few 4k games instantly too. Forza 7 (I think - not installed mine yet) is the only 4k game there at the moment - maybe others like Shadow of War but I don't know anyone with that yet.

FullbringIchigo

QUESTION: are the 4k patches mandatory for all systems or are they just going to download on XB1X consoles because i only have a XB1s and i don't have any external HDDs for it so i don't want my already limited HDD to be filled up with stuff i don't need and can't use

it's one of the few things i DON'T like on the PS4, i have downloads for numerous games updated with "Pro Patches" that are just taking up room on my HDD

plus some of them have actually made playing a game on a standard PS4 worse, FFXV for example ever since the last Pro update it has had loads of texture and asset pop in that it never used to have

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic