Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 181 to 200 of 211

KALofKRYPTON

My tiny break from The Wheel of Time is almost over. Reading a couple of the Star Trek Titan books hasn't been in vain as I discovered that Bajoran guys are ribbed (for her pleasure) πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON that was something else i didn't need to know (same as Klingons having 2)

Untitled

There was nothing wrong with the way FFXIII was, ALL the FF games before it were linear too they hid it better

i crashed the Regalia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pTtM-Mwysk

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON sadly for the time being it is

There was nothing wrong with the way FFXIII was, ALL the FF games before it were linear too they hid it better

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo It's just such a silly thing though... I know it's Star Trek and inherently silly and all of that - but it's really based on the stupidest reasoning!

KALofKRYPTON

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i'm trying not to think about it too much really, if i switch of that part of my brain that cares about continuity then i can watch Discovery fine

anyway on topic, i'm reading the novelisation of The Last Jedi and it explains things much better than the film did but it still has loads of plot holes and unnecessary characters

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I had always planned to read the Aftermath book before TFA but read some shocking reviews so left alone.
It does apparently go in to why there is a need for any 'resistance' post ROTJ - as the intervening books flesh out quite a lot elsewhere.

They've ruined potential for using the Timothy Zahn post ROTJ trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command) anyway... so there's not much point reading any of the others. (He wrote two more set after The Last Command that were bizarrely terrible).

KALofKRYPTON

draco_n_ecliptic

Anyone read any philosophy?

I'll show you the life of the mind.

Kidfried

@draco-n-eliptic1 I have read a lot of philosophy in the past couple years, but these days I find them a little too demanding sometimes. How so?

Regard my dear
It's all downhill from here

draco_n_ecliptic

@Kidfried I'd like to tackle Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, but that is said to be one of the harder works of philosophy, I enjoyed Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, well, I enjoyed the philosophical sections in that book a lot more than the sentimental father and son ones. Can you recommend something in between the two?

JJ-Firl

@draco-n-eliptic1 Well you're about to tackle one of the works that changed and shaped Western Philosophy so it will be quite consuming. (Basic) knowledge of rationalism (think Leibniz and Wolff) and the works of RenΓ© Descartes will be quite helpful.

Glad to see the interest on this forum. I love reading philosophy (especially regarding ethics, religion and politics), thinking and talking about it with friends and strangers. It helps a lot in understanding the world and most importantly yourself.

pastel days & neon nights

https://psnprofiles.com/JJ-firl

PSN: JJ-firl

draco_n_ecliptic

@JJ-Firl What do you think about the idea that all our values are socially constructed?

Dichotomy

To lower the tone, I haven't been reading any of that existential philosophy bobbins, but I have finished the Wayward Pines Trilogy since last time. I then moved on to the first two books in the Mangle Street Murders series and am currently reading Jurassic Park to see how it differs from the film. Not sure what will be next on the list.

Dichotomy

JJ-Firl

@draco-n-eliptic1 Very interesting question. Got a couple of hours?

That's the stuff people write whole books about. I don't think this is the time and place to discuss this but feel free to add me on PSN if you want to talk about it (or, y'know, play some games )

pastel days & neon nights

https://psnprofiles.com/JJ-firl

PSN: JJ-firl

KALofKRYPTON

I'm back in The Wheel of Time (Book 7) - seems to have a little more urgency to the first 80 pages or so. Good sign.

@Dichotomy I'd recommend First Blood if you're looking for a good movie adapted book. It's a cracking read. Short too.

KALofKRYPTON

draco_n_ecliptic

Currently reading The Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan

Patricius

Chapman's Iliad. A true classic of English verse.

Patricius

Dichotomy

So, since last month I've read through
Just One Damned Thing After Another (Was OK, not sure if I'll continue with the series though)
The Undead: Part 1 (wasn't expecting much, but was an enjoyably light read)
Lock In (Interesting idea and an enjoyable shortish book)
Dark Matter (by the guy who did Wayward Pines, I thought this was better)
And I've almost finished Extinct from the Extracted Series (Entertaining, but they're taking the time travel thing a bit far in this one).

Dichotomy

dellyrascal

Doctor Socrates by Andrew Downie, pretty cool, tells the story of Brasilian legend Socrates early years, career and how he helped in the movement for change when the military regime were in power, with the Corinthians Democracy.

I stood there chattering in excitement, like a necrophile at a bus crash....

PSN: dellyrascal | Twitter:

Krest_arisen

I'm currently re-reading the fall of constantinople (ever since school) because it's the 654th anniversary..also reading joe abercrombie's shattered seas series, currently at half the world.

Krest_arisen

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic