Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 201 to 220 of 898

Dichotomy

@Th3solution The Blade Itself is the first one (the other two I think are Before They are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings), the other three are separate stories set between 1 and 10 years after the main trilogy and contain some of the same characters. Save them for later as they will contain spoilers to the main trilogy. There is also a short story collevtion called Sharp Ends set in the same universe, but you can safely save that til last.

I'm on the second book in the Red Rising trilogy, I think the new one (and I'm pretty sure there is a fifth) are separate books and maybe prequels. I didn't want to read the synopsis though in case of spoilers

Dichotomy

Elodin

@Th3solution , @Dichotomy The Red Rising trilogy is amazing! I'm in the middle of the 4th, Iron Gold, and it is great as well. It continues the story with the same characters only 10 years later or was it 15?, either way it's a continuation of the same story line.

Elodin

Th3solution

@Elodin @Dichotomy Great! Sounds like we have similar tastes, so I’m looking forward to try Schwabb and Abercrombie.
It’s also good to hear that Iron Gold holds up. I was worried it would be a cash-in on the original 3 books’ success and feel tacked on.
Other notable favorites would be Orson Scott Card and Stephen R. Donaldson. Anyone a Peter F. Hamilton fan? Been thinking of getting into his books at some point.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TyronP

The Lyra Novels By Patricia C. Wrede.

TyronP

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution ah, 'the PFHamilton' as my mate calls him. He's been recommended to me a lot on the strength of my affinity for Gene Wolfe and Frank Herbert, but I haven't dived in.

Book 9 in The Wheel of Time ongoing.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

andreoni79

I dusted off a book I studied years ago for an exam in North American history, "The Free and the Unfree" by Carrol and Noble, to read once more the chapter about the late XIX century. It surely makes me appreciate the RDR2 world much more.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

KALofKRYPTON

Finally finished The Wheel of Time 😀

Pretty satisfying. Good luck to Amazon in making it a TV show!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Thrillho

Huh, not sure how I've missed this thread before.

I'm currently reading The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks. He is easily my favourite sci-fi writer so far and this is the seventh of the eight Culture books he wrote.

They're all amazing books and brilliantly done so they are all completely separate stories but just based in the same general universe. It means the first book you read can be a bit confusing but it's well worth it. Surface Detail is his magnum opus for sure though.

Thrillho

ApostateMage

@Thrillho I remember way back in school doing an essay on The Wasp Factory, to the utter bemusement of my teacher. I think I got a gold star for it though.

ApostateMage

Thrillho

@ApostateMage Ha, I can imagine. I've read a few of his non-sci-fi books (he uses the M. initial in his sci-fi ones) which are good but not a patch on the Culture books.

Thrillho

Hego

Recently finished Stephen Frys two mythology books, there decent if a bit summarised. I’m halfway through The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, a story about a black slave in America trying to escape to freedom set before the Civil War. It’s pretty good. I’ve also started Caraval by Stephanie Garber which has seemed good from the bit I’ve read

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

nessisonett

Still waiting on Kingkiller Chronicles 3... Hopefully the TV show's decent with GoT finishing imminently.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Heavyarms55

Anyone else here a fan of The Expanse? By James Corey? I just pre-ordered book 8 on Kindle. Also I am a big Star Wars fan - of pre-Disney Star Wars at any rate. I've been re-reading through the expanded universe books again. The X-Wing series, Thrawn Trilogy, iJedi, Hand of Thrawn, and am currently in the New Jedi Order. Always loved these books and the way the draw content from the comics and games as well in one big shared universe. It's that big shared universe feeling that I like in The Expanse too.

Any other big series you could suggest?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

KALofKRYPTON

@Heavyarms55 I haven't read any Expanse. But the TV show is very good!

The Thrawn trilogy are the finest Star Wars books out there for my money. No idea what happened with The Hand of Thrawn though. I thought they were awful.
Scoundrels is a good read though.

Peter F. Hamilton is recommended.

I'm starting Dune soon. Just reading some Alfred Bester first.

Heavyarms55

@KALofKRYPTON I liked the Hand of Thrawn too... I'll look into those other suggestions though.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ellisael

I am currently reading Amy Poehler's Yes Please. It is a memoir of her and it is so starkly brave. For all the vulnerable stuff she has written. She has still kept it so fresh and funny. I am also reading Paul Kalanithi, a doctor and a writer's book on cancer. He wrote it months before he passed away. It is such a moving book which reminds me of the insignificance and impermanence of human life. it is called When Breath Becomes Air I am also very interested in learning about myself and it has become like a self project so i am reading some psychology books. I am also thinking of taking up an art therapy class because of how interesting i find this.

ellisael

Elodin

@ellsworth004 moved the thread to here. I have read all of Sanderson's books except his wheel of time books he finished for Jordan. Hmm that reminds me the Oathbringer series could work as an rpg. Seeing/using the spren could be very interesting.

Elodin

KALofKRYPTON

@Elodin I finished the Wheel of Time a little while ago. Sanderson finishes it really well. You'd be hard pressed to really tell the difference between authors for quite large sections.

I've been going through Dune and am on the 4th book, God Emperor of Dune. Quite enjoying it - absolutely see why the Lynch film is so maligned though; and in contrast why none of the big studios would pay for Alejandro Jodorowsky's version in the 70's.

Elodin

@KALofKRYPTON I watched the Jodorowsky's documentary. It is too bad that version wasn't made.

Elodin

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic