Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 161 to 180 of 882

Gremio108

I've just finished reading The North Water by Ian McGuire. It's very much inspired by Moby Dick, but then it goes off in a different direction later on and does its own thing. Recommended.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

KALofKRYPTON

Recent reads:
The Massacre of Mankind - Stephen Baxter.
(Official) War of the Worlds Sequel - surprisingly good. I plan to pick up his follow up to The Time Machine too.

Psychoshop - Alfred Bester & Roger Zelazny.
Bonkers. It's been a good long while since I'd ventured down a 50s/60s 'jazz sci-fi' route. Glad I did. Immensely satisfying read.

Lord Of Chaos - Robert Jordan
Book Six of the Wheel of Time. What can I say other than; I started, so I'll finish. all be it very slowly!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Dichotomy

Think I've read loads since the last time I checked in. Off the top of my head they include
The Stand (had it to read for years and finally got around to it)
Neil Gaiman's book on Norse mythology
The Boy on the Bridge (prequel to The Girl with all the Gifts)
The Bobiverse trilogy (light hearted, easy reading sci-fi)
The two Extracted books (enjoyable characters, deals with time travel so you need to be in them for the ride rather than any deep thought on the effects of time travel).
Books 4-6 in the Mistborn series (thought it was going to be a second trilogy, but turns out there is a fourth book in the works to finish off this cycle, annoyingly).
The Painted Man (good reviews for a fantasy book, but not sure I'll pursue it past this first book).

Currently reading the Wayward Pines trilogy, some differences from the tv show, but pretty close so far. They're relatively short so I'll see them through. I'm used to books being considerably different to their on screen counterparts and actually prefer that as otherwise it is like reading the book after reading the CliffsNotes.

Dichotomy

Rudy_Manchego

@Dichotomy Oh wow - didn't realise there was a prequel to The Girl with All the GIfts. Will have to get that, thanks!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Dichotomy The Stand is fantastic.

Ive just finished the first 2 volumes of Death Note, outstanding so far. I watched the anime on the recommend of @jaz007 and the manga is even better. Amazing read.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

The Lord of Chaos (#6, WoT) finished.

Started a Star Trek book as a fantasy wind down between WoT entries.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON The Wheel of Time is such a long series ... I’ve always been interested to read it but honestly don’t think I have the patience to invest in a series that takes 14 books to wrap up. I really like B. Sanderson so I am more intrigued by the prospect of seeing how he completed the epic, but I really would rather keep up with his Stormlight Archive series first. I still need to read Oathbringer. That will probably be next up if I ever complete Hobb’s The Tawny Man series.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Dichotomy I eventually need to get to the second part of the Mistborn series. I really liked the first 3. Have you read any of his The Stormlight Archives?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution I've been dipping in and out for WoT for years. I found books 3/4 a bit of a slog and not particularly enjoyable - so I left it for a while.
Lord of Chaos was much better though, and I've read that the whole thing improves somewhat from book 8 onwards.
I do find that just having the books to hand and just alternating rather than trying to plough through to be beneficial. They're not particularly complex, so putting one on the back-burner part way through isn't really an issue.

I like the magic system mostly. If an author can put together an interesting magic system and convey it's use well on the page - I find it quite gratifying. David Farland's Runelords series is a great example of that. Brilliant magic/empowerment system. Despite a significant drop off after the fourth book, it was still a decent read. Perhaps one day he'll finish the series and I'll go through it again.

Once I'm done with WoT I'm probably going back through Gene Wolfe's 'Solar Cycle' again, I never did get around to The Book of the Short Sun.

Dichotomy

@Th3solution Read the first two and have the recent one, Oathbringer, to read, but it is a big book (like the previous two, except a bit bigger) so I'm waiting for me to be in the mood for an epic before I start it. I'll probably get lost in it when I start it and wonder why I waited

Dichotomy

Black_Swordsman

Old Goriot by Honore De Balzac

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@VRex7 Would you say the Biocentrism book falls into the category of philosophy?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

Mysteries by Knut Hamsun

KALofKRYPTON

My tiny break from The Wheel of Time is almost over. Reading a couple of the Star Trek Titan books hasn't been in vain as I discovered that Bajoran guys are ribbed (for her pleasure) 😂😂😂

Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON that was something else i didn't need to know (same as Klingons having 2)

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo That's NOT a Klingon

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON sadly for the time being it is

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo It's just such a silly thing though... I know it's Star Trek and inherently silly and all of that - but it's really based on the stupidest reasoning!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic