Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,795

BAMozzy

@Th3solution Mass Effect certainly did come to the PS3!! It was ported by Edge of Reality and featured some lighting and visual effect improvements. It may have come late to the PS3 (I think it was 2012) and released as part of a ME trilogy but it certainly did come to PS3...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

NathanUC

Anyone else with a Pro and VR having major issues with the beta FW 5.50? It's not really going into standby properly.. the drive keeps spinning and the orange light pulses fairly quickly. My PSVR breakout box is also not going into standby.

I'm going to try downgrading back to official after work. I was just curious if this was common or if I'm just unlucky.

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!!

Th3solution

@BAMozzy Oh, yeah, you’re right! I forgot they released it with the trilogy pack. I just never bought that since I had already bought ME2 and ME 3 separately. Good catch.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tasuki

@BAMozzy I could never consider PS3 or Xbox 360 as retro consoles that just feels wrong. For me retro is anything N64/PSone and back. PS2 and up just seems wrong to call retro but that's my opinion of course. I mean I don't see a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado and say OMG that's retro.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

BAMozzy

@Tasuki Each to their own of course but as I said, I feel gaming moves on so much more than cars for example and the fact that the PS3/XB360 are no longer in production, that makes them Retro to me. They were 'retro' before MS/Sony decided to stop making them when they stopped being the lead console or able to play the latest games but I will accept that they became 'retro' when Sony and MS discontinued production. I felt the same way with the N64 when the Game Cube released, the same way about the WiiU now the Switch is out etc. When there is a significant generational leap over the predecessor as there is with consoles, the old become 'Retro' for me. When 16bit replaced 8bit, I didn't wait until 32/64bit or 128bit era until 8bit became retro - it was almost instantaneous. I look at PS3/XB360 games as 'retro' - even in their visual' presentation. The obviously lower polygon counts affecting everything from faces, hair, clothing even environmental things like trees etc too.

Untitled

There is a massive difference between these two images of Nathan Drake. Look at the fabric too. I am sure I don't need to tell you how much of a generational leap the realistic 'visuals' have come. Faces are a long way from the low polygonal N64 texture wrap that at the time seemed incredible - Goldeneye for example looked amazing and so 'lifelike' (at the time and at least you could 'recognise' the actors faces).

Even those games that have been 'remastered' (not remade), look 'last gen' compared to games built specifically for this gen. Fallout 4 doesn't look a significant step up - more colours maybe but its still looks like a remaster of a last gen game - maybe it was as the devs may well have began work on it for last gen or used the last game as a 'template'. Its not so easy with more 'cartoon' graphics but you can't deny that the realism in modern games - especially water, people, clothing etc is a big step up.

Ok so its not as 'retro' as PS2 era and certainly not as 'retro' as the 32/64, 16 or even 8bit eras but as far as I am concerned, with each new generation that offers a 'significant' step up - not just in terms of visuals, but in virtually all areas, that then makes the older console 'retro'. Again that doesn't mean that games can't be 'classic' unless on a retro console - the point I was making more. I consider games like the Witcher 3 as a 'modern day classic' but its still a classic. CoD4 is considered a Classic too as is more recent games like BioShock, Dead Space, MW2, Red Dead Redemption etc.

Retro, by definition, is involving, relating to, or reminiscent of an earlier time: denoting something associated with or revived from the past:

As the PS3 and XB360 are 'discontinued', they are both 'Retro' by definition. As games also have 'short' life, its easier for them to become 'classics' on current hardware. As such its also easier (at least for me) to see the older generations as 'retro' too because the software is more dated. I agree its not as 'retro' as the PS1 era or even PS2 era but its still a retro console

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Gamer83

It's almost certainly not the classic that Bluepoint is working on, but I'd love if it was a remaster or a ground up remake of Killzone 2 for PS4. Still my favorite FPS from last gen and aside from Halo: Reach there hasn't been an FPS since that I enjoyed as much. KZ 3 was good, not great, Shadow Fall was decent at best and the 343 Halos have disappointed me.

Gamer83

Tasuki

@Kidfried Not surprsing Snake Eater is rumored as one as that seems to be the best one out of them all according to most people. I wish they would do a remaster of the first one. The only one that they did was the remaster for GameCube but that was how long ago?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Octane

@Kidfried Isn't that just a typo? Can't find anything on it anywhere else.

If it's true, that's great! Then I don't have to do that thing anymore to play them that I'm not allowed to talk about, even though it's completely fine to talk about!

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane Don't do bitter, it doesn't suit you.

And I'm kinda wondering about that too. I would expect something like this to check out and be real, but what puzzles me is no mention of Xbox One. They wouldn't skip Xbox One if they're releasing it for Vita, I'd argue.

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried But it's already on the Vita, right? At least, if we're talking about the same collection.

Untitled

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

As much as I would love a remaster of the first MGS it would take a mahoosive effort to do, it would need to be a remake kinda like final fantasy 7. I don't see Konami putting that much effort in.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

That hd collection was also on the ps3.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/02/is_the_metal_gear_soli...

So we would be getting a remaster of a remaster. Lame

I wonder if that is the 'classic' that blueprint are working on?

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Kidfried

@Octane @JohnnyShoulder If it's coming to the PS4, it'll be a port of that collection. And if that HD Collection is coming to PS4, than it would probably be Armature porting it. Seeing as they recently worked with the port (Vita), and Bluepoint is working on something more special anyway.

And it wouldn't be big news indeed @JohnnyShoulder, as that collection already released on PS3 and Xbox One. Still, it's a really good one. I wouldn't buy it, but it's an easy recommendation for everyone not familiar with the franchise. Still... the omission of MGS1 in this collection is quite glaring.

A Bluepoint remaster-remake of MGS4 or MGS1 would be magical, let's dream.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried What do you think the classic game Bluepoint is?

Octane

@Kidfried Well, I'd welcome a port of 2 and 3 if that means I have easy access to it. I still think it may be a typo though.

Have you ever played the GameCube remake of MGS1? Is it any good and/or does it resemble the original in any way?

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane Seems you were right! I think I saw somewhere they're denying working on it!

The GameCube remake is a controversial subject among fans. I actually played it before the original one, having never owned a PS1.

It's quite good. One of the cons is a completely different soundtrack (less good than the original). And it works in MGS2's engine, which improves overall graphics and even the gameplay at some points. However, it makes some the game somewhat imbalanced in other places.

It's fine really. The story, cinematics (graphical and gameplay wise) and feel of the game remain intact, which is the main reason to play this in 2018. I'd buy it.

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried I'll give it a try if I can find it for cheap!

Octane

kyleforrester87

Twin Snakes is much worse than MGS1 in my opinion. The tone is just so off. That's not to say it's bad by any stretch, but it's by far the inferior version of the two.

I expect the same of the FF7 Remake. A decent enough game that doesn't live upto the original.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

Can anyone tell me why I suddenly had an ad for PS Now on the front of my PS4 home screen? Did you see it too? I have featured content turned off, so that's really lame. It's not as lame as the Xbox 360 homescreen, but it's still really annoying they force it onto the front.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic