Sorry Europe, You Won't Be Probing Any Bottoms in South Park: The Stick of Truth

Ubisoft cuts content from TV tie-in

A game based on controversial cartoon South Park was never going to toe the line, so it’s unsurprising to learn that South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored in Europe. BT.com spotted a document suggesting that seven scenes had been removed from the title, which publisher Ubisoft has since confirmed. The changes affect the entire EMEA region, which covers Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Unsurprisingly, Australia will also receive the edited edition.

So, what’s been taken out? The correspondence reveals that two mini-games involving abortion and five scenes depicting anal probing have been chopped, and replaced with an image and text description specially selected by creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. In truth, there’s a chance that the hastily yanked content could result in the release being even funnier than intended, but it’s always a shame when stuff like this gets cut.

A spokesperson for the publisher ambiguously indicated that the adaptations are down to “marketing decisions”, but Eurogamer.net hypothesises that the company may be hoping to slip through Germany’s slightly stricter ratings board. A number of Sony titles have been adversely impacted over the past few years, too, with the platform holder seemingly reluctant to create different versions for specific regions.

While this may seem like a kick in the teeth, we suppose that it’s good that the PlayStation 3 is region free. Are you sick of being told what you can and can’t see? Try not to kill Kenny in the comments section below.

[via home.bt.com, eurogamer.net]

rjejr

rjejr said:

Maybe if the game only had 4 scenes of anal probing instead of 5 they wouldn't have had to cut them ;-) 1 probe over line sweet jesus, 1 probe over the line

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Reminds me of No More Heroes for the Wii/PS3. The North American Wii version was the only uncensored version

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

I'm sick of this censoring idiocy, the UK on its own would never censor this. It genuinely infuriates me. I'm an adult and if I want to probe cartoon 'ani' then I bloody well should be able to do so. Clearly someone believes I would be corrupted severely and instigate my own explorative probes on decent persons of the UK. What a joke.

Splat

Splat said:

"I'm an adult and if I want to probe cartoon 'ani' then I bloody well should be able to do so."

This might be the best thing I have read on PS. :)

617Sqn

617Sqn said:

Well looks like I will get a pre owned US copy, that way I get the un censored version, and ubisoft get no money from me!

odd69

odd69 said:

Wow you mean this game didnt get another push back? Lost interest months ago, of all the time they wasted how bout a ps4 port?