PS4 Answers the Call of Duty with Next-Gen Focus for First-Person Property

Posted by Finlay Milligan

Fighting new formats

With upstart Sledgehammer working on the umpteenth Call of Duty game, Activision executive Eric Hirshberg has shed some light on the title's development, revealing that it will be built with the PlayStation 4 in mind. Speaking with IGN, the suit said that the studio is "approaching this as next-gen first development".

“Obviously, in the console-transition year, anyone who developed a cross-generational game last year had to deal with the fact that the technology of the next-gen platforms was still coming into focus and changing quite a bit during the development process," he explained. "Now that we have the next-gen hardware out in the marketplace and solid, that is our primary development.”

Hirshberg also suspects that Sledgehammer's offering may be a little different to what we usually expect from a Call of Duty game. “We give each of our studios a lot of independence,” he added, before continuing that the company's message to the new outfit was: “You know what makes this thing great; now go and do it your way".

Activision recently announced that the franchise would be changing from the usual two-year development cycle to a three-year cycle. This also coincides with the firm's latest financial report in which it was announced that Call of Duty would be handled by three different studios: Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and the abovementioned Sledgehammer. Personally, we reckon that any shake up to the usual first-person formula would be beneficial, but what do you think? Fire off your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via uk.ign.com, vg247.com]

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

Everytime I think of COD, I was always think of Furious. Props to those who know who I'm talking about.

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

Maybe someone new can actually change it up a little. The series has gotten stagnant so that's why I went to battlefield this time around. Let's see what you got sledgehammer..

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

“You know what makes this thing great; now go and do it your way".

What exactly "makes this thing great"?

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

I would be excited. I never liked call of duty much but ghosts really turned that around for me. but I want time to enjoy my game not get another installment right away.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

They heard bf was doing a police themed fps and cracked their pants, they must've decided to do a fire rescue fps... but wait, resistance already did that? Paramedic fps it is.

GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234 said:

Jesus another crap COD sigh.........Every time Sledgehammer/Treyarch/Activision say the next one is going to be "new" series which is nothing further the truth but a $60 DLC update lie alas It will be the same BS over and over so people aren't thinking to this "scam" take your thinking caps and put them on please.

Foxy47

Foxy47 said:

I'll most likely choose which studio makes the best cod, and only get those ones every 3 years. I can't justify buying pretty much the same game reskinned every year.

I've found infinity wards last 2 games to be dreadful, so it's probably between treyarch and sledgehammer.

Chris1975

Chris1975 said:

I gave up after Black Ops 2, having only joined the series at MW3 I was already bored only one more game in.

I don't know how anyone can justify playing the same game over and over again and paying a premium price point.

Think I will keep skipping this series and stick to all the new I.Ps coming down the pipe!

finmilliganStaff

finmilligan said:

@Foxy47 I reckon Treyarch did well with World at War and I enjoyed the more gory take on WW2. Wouldn't mind a game like that again.

banacheck

banacheck said:

I wonder if it's a new game engine? or the decade old updated one? Which was announced as a new next-generation game engine until IW stepped in.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@banacheck I'd love to see a new engine running a new "gen" of CoD as good as 4:MW, which was perfect for PS3 in terms of graphics and multiplayer, IMO. Idk about Ghosts, but CoD has always looked like 2d gun sprites (like CS 1.5 for crying out loud), where BF always uses 3d models. I'd buy a complete franchise reboot before another one made by the same folks

BoxMonstar

BoxMonstar said:

In all honesty with games like Destiny and the Division coming down the line it's only suited that infinity ward add another year to development. These games just aren't going to be on par anymore. Same rehashed crap with more character customization that benefits you in no way shape or form.

Foxy47

Foxy47 said:

@finmilligan I'd love that too, When Cod4 was released, it was something different: a modern shooter FPS amongst a sea of world war FPS's. Now the market is over-saturated with the same modern shooters we've all played for the last 5+ years, maybe going back to a world war FPS would be a big enough change to warrant me buying it. And also more nazi zombies.