Erm, No Girls Allowed in Free PlayStation 4 Exclusive Deep Down

Posted by Kell Andersen

Dungeon crawler only features playable male characters

As one of the more interesting upcoming exclusives, the absolutely gorgeous Deep Down is looking better by the minute. However, we're hoping that you weren't planning to take on the free-to-play RPG's labyrinthine corridors as a bonny lass, because producer Kazunori Sugiura has recently revealed in a promotional livestream that the title won't feature playable female characters.

While this is hardly the time or place to be discussing the deeper issues facing the industry, it does strike us as a little odd that Capcom wouldn't include this option in a game from a genre synonymous with fully customisable protagonists. The developer did mention that its reasoning for the omission primarily came down to story elements, so maybe this'll all become clear once we pick up the full release. Or, if we're to be extremely cynical, perhaps the company plans to release a female character in exchange for a small fee somewhere down the line.

The broadcast also revealed a few other interesting tidbits, most notably that the 'Casual' difficulty setting first spotted at the Tokyo Game Show won't be appearing in the full game. Novices need not apply, then. Furthermore, if you're more inclined to indulge in a dash of daring dungeon crawling while in the relative comfort of your bathroom, you're in luck, as the title will fully support PlayStation Vita remote play.

Is the lack of playable female characters a deal breaker for you? Will you be braving Deep Down on the highest possible difficulty? Hack-'n'-slash in the comments section below.

[via dualshockers.com]

Matt_Berial

Matt_Berial said:

It doesn't bother me at all I'll play a game if the story is good. Don't care if it's male or female that you can only use.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Kell. This is a free-to-play game, and female warriors will make a great microtransaction.

finmilliganStaff

finmilligan said:

I'm not too bothered by this, but I am a man. I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if I was a girl. Also, I'm struggling to work out what story elements could be so important that it HAS to include male only protagonists. And if it's a prince-saving-the-damsel-in-distress kind of scenario, well, I thought the we'd moved on from that.

3Above

3Above said:

Doesn't bother me at all. I had no 2nd thoughts about playing as Kat in Gravity Rush or as Lightning or Serah in FF 13 and 13-2 ( I refuse to plsy 13-3). I realize that in this particular genre customization is a staple but is it REALLY an issue one way or the other?

ericb59

ericb59 said:

I can't help but think Capcom didn't pay their ad revenue when people write pointless articles like this. Once upon a time people actually judged games based on their gameplay, not this kind of s***

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Honestly, after TR and LB I think I'm gonna miss the option for a girly run cycle complete with bobbing pony tail. Sounds like there will just be npc girls, but yeah who really cares unless m/f get different stats, right?

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Whether the character is male or female isn't something that even crosses my mind when I play a game. Yes, I'm a man, but when I first played Tomb Raider, the fact that the character was female didn't enter my mind. Same with The Last Of Us - playing as Joel was great, didn't bother me at all when you played as Ellie.

This whole thing, to me, is an issue that is getting blown way out of proportion lately. Daylight is set to feature a female lead only - is anyone going to shout that that title is sexist?

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

Maybe this game is about gays or something.

The more I hear about it, the more I think that it will be stupid F2P crap.

N711

N711 said:

Really doesnt matter. The thing is this game looks so good but thats all I can say when I think of it for now

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Not a deal breaker, just like a female lead isn't a deal breaker for me as long as the gameplay and story are good that's all I care about. I'm still not sold on this game but lack of female playable characters isn't the reason for that.

Splat

Splat said:

I'm a male but any time a game let's me make a character or decide between male or female I pretty much always make/pick female.

That said I wouldn't not buy a game just because I didn't have that option.