This PS4 Error Will Corrupt Your Save Files and Make Your Games Unplayable

Posted by Kell Andersen

Ouch

Imagine the scenario: you've successfully managed to save the last human, slaughter the entire Helghan population, and plunder your way through every pirate infested inch of the Caribbean. All that's left to do is bask in your well deserved glory – but instead, your precious save data is mysteriously corrupted, and your games are rendered unplayable.

This is the harsh reality for several unlucky PlayStation 4 owners who have experienced error message 'CE-34878-0'. Complaints about the dreaded glitch first surfaced last December, but several new cases have recently sprung up. Apart from the aforementioned afflictions, we also have it on good authority that the miscreant malfunction will infest your nightmares and has also been sighted mugging innocent old ladies. Alright, not really. Still, the loss of progress is bad enough, and sadly there isn't currently a fix for the flaw – though you can rest assured that the platform holder's tech team will be looking for one.

Perhaps the most egregious news, though, is the glitch's infuriatingly boring name. We reckon that the least that Sony could do is give the error a title that better lends itself to parody and ridicule – after all, trying to turn 'CE-34878-0' into a pun has just about driven this reporter to madness. Have you been subjected to this frustrating bug? Do you think that error messages should have better names? Make some noise in the comments section below.

[via computerandvideogames.com]

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

If this happens to me I might lose my mind. I can't think of a clever name using the actual name, but how about The Suicide Code because your PS4 just killed its own data?

RaevenStaff

Raeven said:

With it's origins in mind, Seppuku, might be the way to go.....as a name, not something to do if this happens to you, well, optionally I guess ;)

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Of the affected games I only have AC4. And about 20% in. Really enjoying it, but I'd probably trade it rather than go through again should this happen to mine.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Does deleting the game, and then restoring the save data form the cloud work?

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@Jaz007 I think the uploaded file is the same as the corrupted one given the forum chatter.

Personally, I think this is an issue born of multiple patches and the autoupload function clashing.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I have the perfect name! Cut out some of the letters and you have...

The C-380 error! These aren't the working PS4s you are looking for!

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

Just do what i do with PS3 game saves(& i am now doing with my PS4 game saves to) - Every time after i play a game i save the game save to my USB stick to that is stuck in my PS3/PS4, so if anything happens to the PS3's hard drive(or PS4's) or whatever your saves will be o.k(o.k some saves are Copy Protected on the PS3 which i can't stand & you can't back-up via USB stick etc etc) + I even do that now i got PS Plus because i still don't trust cloud saves & all that future stuff i can't see :D

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@XCWarrior Oh man! Another brilliant suggestion. The best I could come up with was: "I CE what you did there...." which is barely even a pun.

UNC5052

UNC5052 said:

I've already lost my BF4 single player save several times, although I think that is an issue with DICE's programming as it has occurred for many others on the other consoles.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

The only game I am worried about is Lego Marvel that my son and I have sunk some major time in. As for a name I can't really think of one at the moment but I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Any idea of what causes the glitch? Is it KZ glitch then? Perhaps autosaving after breaking sequence triggers it? I had several issues breaking sequence in KZ, so I wouldn't be surprised...

Javy_mex100

Javy_mex100 said:

This happened to me, just today the lights went off and well i was playing tomb raider on the ps4 and tried to play it again when the light came back and my progress was corrupt and well i dont want to start again, i dont know what to do.