Naughty Dog's Next Generation Daxter Is Pretty Terrifying

Kill it with fire

It’s no secret that The Last of Us nearly didn’t exist. Before starting work on the survival horror opus, creative director Neil Druckmann and his team considered rebooting the Jak & Daxter franchise with a realistic twist – and the early results were more terrifying than any of the horrific things that you see during Joel and Ellie’s plight.

As part of his IGDA keynote in Toronto, the developer revealed the above concept art for the first time, which shows a much more believable interpretation of the outspoken sidekick. “We spent a lot of time exploring the world of Jak & Daxter, and how we would go about bringing it back,” he said. “But as much as we liked the concepts, we felt that a lot of the ideas that we were having were moving away from what the [platforming series] is about.”

He added: “We kept asking ourselves, ‘Are we doing this for marketing reasons – just to give a game the Jak & Daxter prefix?’ We felt that we weren’t doing service to the things that the fans of the franchise liked. So we went to our boss, and we said, ‘Do we have to do this?’ And he said, ‘No, if you want to do something else, come up with something else.’” The rest, of course, is history.

Despite all of this, Druckmann still believes that the concept for Daxter was “pretty good looking”. We’re putting the developer’s poor choice of words down to stage fright, and assuming that what he really meant was “pretty scary looking”. Seriously, we know that the Clickers are gross and all – but this is some nightmare inducing stuff. Perhaps the team could revisit the character design for The Last of Us’ inevitable sequel.

[via youtube.com, neogaf.com]

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I think it's pretty creepy. The kind of creature that would come into your room at night and eat you alive.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I think it looks pretty cute, I'd love to see them actually use this concept for a different game.

@PMasterTy9 I personally don't think it will ever happen. I could maybe imagine another studio doing a "traditional" J&D game, but I can't ever see ND returning to this franchise.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I don't see this design selling too well, the people who want something serious probably don't want animals, and the people who want animals probably aren't looking for something this serious looking in an animal game. This does look creepy too, glad it didn't come to inception.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

He looks like something that would haunt you from the depths of an urban legend about malicious talking rats....

Visiblemode

Visiblemode said:

I think it's superb. Had been pimping the same essential concept for a ps4 Sly Cooper game. It could be incredible.

Azikira

Azikira said:

The left-most picture isn't bad really, kinda cute in a way. But the rest needs to die in said fire, yes.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I'd hate to see what he looked like before getting dark-eco'd. That's funny tho; "Please no more J&D, boss!" "Okay, okay. Just make it work"
Now I want a Last of Us costume pack where you're Jak and she's Daxter

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Design's cool and all, but it doesn't seem like a creature that speaks, much less making jokes.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I thought it was concept art for Jak, so I probably shouldn't comment any further.

Doesn't that 1st picture w/ the big ears and teeth look like Dark Jak?