Can the PlayStation 4 Handle SOE's PlanetSide 2?

Company president hints that it can

PlanetSide 2 is a taxing free-to-play first-person shooter for the PC that requires a fairly robust machine to run. Despite the Sony Online Entertainment developed title being rumoured for the PlayStation 4 for a while, many have questioned whether the MMO will actually work on the next generation machine. Fortunately, president John Smedley has taken to Twitter to alleviate those concerns.

Asked directly by a fan if the PS4 is powerful enough to cope with such a gigantic game, Smedley responded with a smiling emoticon, suggesting that the team's got a solution up its sleeve. Earlier in the year, the executive revealed that the studio is “very excited” for the next generation console and that you “should read into that what you will”. It’s not like the port wouldn’t make business sense for SOE – it’s noted on multiple occasions that the PS3 version of DC Universe Online is actually the most popular.

As such, we fully expect PlanetSide 2 to make an appearance at E3. Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida recently mentioned that the platform holder is working on a free-to-play title for the PS4, and seeing as SOE sort of fits underneath that umbrella, we’re guessing that this is what he was referring to.

[via twitter.com]

I really think that this would be a killer game to have available day one. The fact that they can say you get a free first-person shooter with every box would be huge. And I've always wanted to try this anyway...

Alpha

Alpha said:

@get2sammyb I whole heartdley agree, expecially if its already on every console at launch so you don't have to download it. It'd be a brilliant move on their part, the game is of very big PC MMO and if the PS4 is able to run it that just shows how powerful the machine can be, so if it is day one in the box then its a great move, and a more likely they will sell more units.

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

I think the question here is: How would it NOT be able to run PS2? The PS4 has beefier specs than you're average gaming PC build.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I've always wanted to try Planetside 2. Including it with the PS4 would definitely help move units and it would satisfy the shooter only crowd.

satam55

satam55 said:

The minimum system requirements for the PC version is:
OS:Windows XP

Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher

Memory:4 GB RAM

Graphics:nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher

DirectX®:9.0

Hard Drive:15 GB HD space

Sound:DirectX compatible Sound Card

Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

While the recommend system requirements for the PC version is:
OS:Windows 7

Processor:Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher

Memory:6 GB RAM

Graphics:nVidia GeForce 540 or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher

DirectX®:9.0

Hard Drive:15 GB HD space

Sound:DirectX compatible Sound Card

Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

I think the game can be ported over to the PS4, successfully.

irken004

irken004 said:

I'm downloading it now on Steam :) But I agree they will probably port it to PS4 as well.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@satam55 : based on those specs, the PS4 should do it easily.

There seems to be a lot more MMOs ported to consoles of late, rather than just focusing on PCs. I wonder why the change.

Itachi

Itachi said:

Free to play games will play a huge role in the upcoming generation of gaming. The thing I like most about free to play is that it put's more pressure on developers and publishers to make better games. So if they're going to charge 60$ for a game then it better damn well be worth 60$.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@irken004 me too lol. I didn't even know about it till this article.
P.s. someone already took my handle! I had to be stupid CharlesNarles01...

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I've got it installed and registered, but I never gave it a go yet. Couple of my friends love it and play daily. Something like this or a smoother DUST514 would be epic as a pre-installed game.