Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,285

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I think it all shows this: for a faithful adaption to be successful, it just requires a lot more money for mocap and stuff. Most successful examples I can think of are all cartoons, but not realistic. South Park is another very successful example, it even featured cross over with the main series.

I think EA could make it work with licenses like Star Wars and Bond, as they have the money to feature the original actors and invest that much into a project. But... you know... EA.

Kidfried

DerMeister

I'm not sure how unpopular this is but it's probably not common on here, so I'll just say it: I don't care for Sony as a company. Let me try to explain. It's not that I have anything against them, it's more that I'm indifferent to the company itself. I've tried to care more about the business aspect of gaming, but I just can't do it. It doesn't matter who's speaking- House, Layden, Yoshida, etc. I just can't muster a reaction whenever a company head pops up at E3 (which is why I usually don't watch the conferences), or see an article about the company itself. If it doesn't have anything to do with PlayStation or the games, I don't care.

I know that's a bad feeling to have, since the health of Sony does affect PlayStation, but as long as PlayStation pumps out quality games, the company doesn't matter to me. This is why I never comment on business articles. It's the same story with Microsoft, and to a lesser extent Nintendo, since Nintendo are primarily about games, while the other two are overall hardware manufacturers.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

BAMozzy

@DerMeister I couldn't care less about Sony as a brand - any more or less than I care for MS, Samsung, LG or any other brands that they are in direct competition with. That being said, I don't want to see them go either as they do provide 'competition' and as a consumer, that benefits me.

I buy a Playstation because its a device that allows me to play the games I want in the same way I buy an Xbox too. If Samsung, LG, Acer or some other electronics company built a Playstation or Xbox console that played the 'same' games at the same performance but 'cheaper', I wouldn't buy a PS or XB. If they built a console that could play both Sony and MS games, I would buy that - its just a plastic box of electronics that allows me to play the games I want.

I don't see it as any different from buying a TV or buying AV system, I buy the best I can within my budget that delivers the performance/specs I want. I have no loyalty to any brand and they don't pay/sponsor me to be 'loyal' to them. Its up to them to build the product I want and at a competitive price to compete with the others in their genre. The fact that Sony and MS are competing benefits me as a gamer but I don't have any loyalty. For the first 3-4yrs, Sony was my 'preferred' console because it was the 'best' for gaming, now Xbox is. Its not about 'exclusives' for me although they do have a small impact but I buy on average 15-20 AAA games a year and of those, only 4/5 are 'exclusive' to either Xbox or PS. Multi-platform releases outnumber exclusive purchases by 3/4:1. Therefore, I buy the majority of my games for the device that plays them the best - even if a console doesn't release any exclusives I want, it can still have more games bought for it, have much more use than the other that has 2 or 3 exclusives that year I want. Point is, its the 'games' (ALL not just Exclusives) and how they perform that are far more important than the name on the plastic box that I use to play these.

Maybe that is unpopular but I don't care. I would rather spend the same money to get the same game that looks and plays better than spend that money on the less capable device just because its on a console with a few more 'exclusives' I want. Gaming is my priority, the device its on is just incidental...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

@KratosMD Geometry wars 3 and Nex Machina are both great twin stick shooters on ps4. Ive got an amazing pc twin stick shooter in tesla vs lovecraft which is better still.

The problem is the genre does not sell and dwells outside of poular culture. They are classic games so dont sit right with casuals alas they get less media coverage.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Kidfried

@DerMeister I don't really care about Sony's business, but I do care where it stands for. When I decided to buy the PlayStation 4 vs. the other consoles at the time, I didn't only compare the announced games and specs, but also where these companies want to go in a broader sense.

To me, PlayStation for the last twenty years, is where I want gaming to be headed. They care for money, sure, but they also have a vision on gaming as a whole. And I care for the company because it has a vision I sshare. Games are art, not products or mere fun.

This is the reason I want Sony to do well, honestly. I could care less about anyone's pay check, but I do care about the future of gaming.

So, yeah, it is way different to buying a new coffee maker or something for me.

Kidfried

DerMeister

@Kidfried I think that's a good reason to care about a company. And again, I have nothing against the game companies, I just can't bring myself to care about their non gaming endeavors, or their spokespeople. I certainly don't want them to fail, in fact I hope all three succeed. Optimistic yes, but if all three do their best, I think gaming would get much better.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Zukato

Persona 3 FES is the best installment in the series. Granted, I haven't played the first two games, but out of a comparison between P4 and P5 for the most part.

Faithful to Jesus.

PSN: ZukaHoly | Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

Did anyone see the Aliens Colonial Marines AI fix news for PC?

A modder working on an overhaul build for the game found a single letter typo in the xeno AI code. The error essentially removes all awareness of the environment from the alien AI (wall, ceiling, tunnel positions relative to the player) which is what caused them to behave like redshirts.
Saw some video of it running with the code fixed, the difference is pretty shocking.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

LieutenantFatman

@KALofKRYPTON
Wow, that is pretty crazy. Sadly only one of many many problems with the game. I guess with how it was rushed out in an attempt to avoid a lawsuit, it's almost inevitable something so simple was missed.

LieutenantFatman

KALofKRYPTON

@LieutenantFatman I forget where, but I read a pretty extensive piece regarding it a few years ago.
Largely it was Gearbox's fault for farming out so much of the game while they concentrated on their own IP, but Sega were pretty awful too; constantly altering what sort of game they wanted and how they wanted the story to play out once it became franchise canon.

Shame. They should've given it to Rebellion. Their AVP games were great.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

Unpopular gaming opinion: Lair (PS3) was a pretty good game, sixaxis control and all.

I really loved Lair. It was gorgeous, cinematic, beautifully scored and essentially Factor 5's Rogue Squadron on dragons.

It wasn't perfect, but every review pointed at the sixaxis motion controls as the chief weakness of the game. I found this pretty annoying, as I felt it really added to the sense that you were trying to control your dragon rather than just pushing a stick to move. When analogue control was eventually patched in it really took away from that feeling (I had discovered that analogue control was possible before that; remote play via the PSP set up controller 2 as playable and this defaulted the control scheme to use the analogue stick).

Jaz007

@KALofKRYPTON Agreed, it was good game. Very cool concept. The motion controls were awesome and they should do something like that again. Or better yet, make sequel in the $40 range. The only problem I had was when you had to rip something off a wall or something and shake the controller violently as possible. I always got a headache from those. I’d even go to say that the game is killed by using an analogue stick. I tried it out for a moment and hated it.

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 I even liked that it was the same engine and even reskinned front end from Rogue Leader! lol

Such a shame about Factor 5 getting in bed with Brash Entertainment.

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON Ahhhh ok now I see why it would be a great. That brings me onto a really controversial point.

The Gamecube had the best launch line-up triumvirate of games ever;

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Luigis mansion

Rogue Squadron 2 was an absolute revelation as an original trilogy fan. Super Monkey ball was class with unique gameplay and add on mini games and Luigis Mansion was so leftfield compared to the usual Mario games. I had all 3 at release and other than a few stand out games like F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur 2, Windwaker, Sunshine, Metroid and Aggresive Inline are still the best games on the system imo. And they are also the most unique.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy That's a fair argument. I bought my Game Cube on the strength of the (banned) Rogue Leader adverts 😁

One of my mates at the time got in to Nintendo Power (I think it was that) with a record Star Destroyer take down time too. Was and still is an awesome game. Shame about the Rebel Assault style on foot sections of Rebel Strike, but it was worth it for the Speeder Bike chase.

Super Monkey Ball was a huge surprise. Multiplayer Monkey Target took up way too much of our time!

And Xtreme G 3. Lot of love for that game. The series had been pretty poor up to that point, but XG3 was a great game.

I'd say all of the sixth gen launches were pretty good. Even PS2 despite being first out of the gate. NHL2001, Ridge Racer 5, Timesplitters were amazing.

FullbringIchigo

Here is a BIG one, Resident Evil 6 is BETTER than Resident Evil 7

to me the entire series up to 7's release wasn't just a survival horror series it was also a campy, over the top b-movie and while it went more action in the last few it was still in keeping with the series as a whole but 7 was just, for want of a better word an Outlast clone, did it make the game scarier, yes but it cost the series it's soul, the series that defined the survival horror/survival action genre is now just following the trend and i am SO glad they have gone back the the Over the Shoulder view for the Resi 2 Remake

Resi 6 over Resi 7

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo hmmmm... having played neither, I can't really comment.

But as for the series, I don't think I'd call them particularly campy; just not very well acted or animated mostly.

FullbringIchigo

Unpopular Opinion: wired controllers are better than wireless ones, why no batteries or charging, no latency, nothing to interfere with the signal and no need to sync them, just plug in and play

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic