Forums

Topic: The Order: 1886 | OT

Posts 81 to 92 of 92

Scollurio

@rastamadeus It's a bit harsh to go for kickstarter-suggestion, but alas you're posts are mostly negative. I respect your personal taste but it leaves me wondering more often then not what you DO actually enjoy. Back to being objective again I'd like to see some sales numbers on The Order and how it fared compared to other "big games". It just hurts me to see a piece of art like The Order with so much detail and a rich world in it go to waste just because people were expecting it to be Gears of War in 1886.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

rastamadeus

Scollurio wrote:

@rastamadeus It's a bit harsh to go for kickstarter-suggestion, but alas you're posts are mostly negative. I respect your personal taste but it leaves me wondering more often then not what you DO actually enjoy. Back to being objective again I'd like to see some sales numbers on The Order and how it fared compared to other "big games". It just hurts me to see a piece of art like The Order with so much detail and a rich world in it go to waste just because people were expecting it to be Gears of War in 1886.

The kickstarter was a joke. As I've said before the game just wasn't a game for me. There are lots of ideas in there that are close to being something really good but just kinda fall flat. Saying "there's a cracking game in there screaming to get out" can't possibly be negative, can it? Despite my dislike of the game it has stayed in my brain as there was potential there for it to be really good. I think the problem with it is your Gears Of Wars analogy, but not the way you put it. People didn't want it to be a GOW clone with QTEs and bum-numbingly long times of nothing. But that's what we got. Some, such as yourself, enjoyed it but the majority didn't.

I still think, as I've said in another part of the site, rather than a £50 game this should have been a tenner on PS Now. Show off the service and have a first party, exclusive, game on there. Tenner for a week. It would have made millions as people put off by the absurdly short game wouldn't have minded spending that much on it, Trophy hunters would have lapped it up, Sony could be saying "look how well PS Now and The Order are doing" and it would all be positive.

As for what I enjoy, all sorts really. The 3D Marios, Red Dead, Borderlands, anything by Treasure (try Bangai-O!!), Lego games, Catherine, Persona, Hotline Miami, Zelda, Smash, almost every classic Sega game. Scarlett Johansson's bum. When the talk is on them you'll find me happy as Annie, but I see myself more as being honest then negative. I never write something trying to be 100% negative, even here I've said why I don't like The Order rather than saying "it's ****."

Edited on by rastamadeus

"Oh smeg. What the smegging smegs he smegging done? He's smegging killed me."

PSN: Rastamadeus | Twitter:

Scollurio

@rastamadeus
Thanks for that post, it gave me some insight into your psyche, I appreciate that. Nothing wrong with you not liking it, I just have a really hard time understanding why people see no value in actual production values, a polished world and awesome graphics when buying a game. It's part of the package you're paying for, at least in my book. But enough of it already, everyone knows I loved the game. What I also can't understand is that people complain about Helldiver's price and I already got around 80 hours out of it. So gametime VS retail price seems to be a valid argument for the one but not for the other game. Weird world.

Also.... Scarlett Johansson's bum. How you like Alizee's?

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

BAMozzy

@Scollurio For me a polished world, attention to detail etc is 1 small part of my decision making when buying a game. Potential game time in terms of costs per hour is also a consideration. I don't base my purchases on 1 single aspect but a combination of many factors. Something like the Order for me (and I mean from my perspective alone) would score very highly in its visual presentation but when you factor in other aspects, its clear this is by far its greatest aspect. A game is more than just its visual presentation though. When buying (or reviewing) a game, I break it down into its components with a higher emphasis on game play.
Its clear this generation seems even more focussed on resolution and frame rates than actual game play and mechanics. Whilst I do admit the visual presentation is quite important, its often what we see first and creates our 'first impression', its also not a reason alone to buy a game. The first we ever see of a game is usually a screenshot or short video.
Visual presentation may be enough to get peoples initial interest but a game needs more to keep it throughout - If not then people won't see the latter half of the game as they will have stopped playing. Minecraft, in my opinion, is probably the worst game available from a visual presentation perspective. but its also one of the most popular because of its game play. Putting the Order next to it makes the game look look years behind visually but also proves that if they get the game play right, its not that important.
You mentioned that people were expecting the Order to be more like Gears of War. However Gears of War offers a very good campaign, with a lot of action and not many QTE's. It also offers various co-op options and MP too.
As far as I know, no-one has criticised its visual presentation and attention to detail but from my perspective, games are a lot more than just visuals. A lot of AAA games look great but also have great game play, story, options etc. It's kind of like employing someone purely because of the way they look instead of their ability to do the job.
Have you seen Angry Joes video review?

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Scollurio

@BAMozzy
Thanks for your input. Im far from a graphics w**** when it comes to games, I enjoy Minecraft, Hotline Miami or Helldivers just as much but for different reasons. All I am saying is that you cannot go around through the gaming world with your one set of molds in which everything needs to fit. I like to compare The Order to Resident Evil. It was great for its time, raised the level of graphical fidelity and atmosphere people came to expect from there on. But gameplay? Linear. Limited. Fixed camera angles and tank controls. Even for its time abysmal, still if you could see beyond that, you saw the Brilliance of Resident Evil. Nowadays people tend to toss something aside of you have to look for the gems a little bit. And yeah I saw Angry Joe's review and honestly, I think he's an idiot and a sellout. My personal opinion. It was obvious that The Order is an easy target for a show called "ANGRY" - obviously he needs something to rant about to have his gimmick going and yeah, The Order was a welcome and easy victim. 4/10 is laughable really. Also another big problem I see so often in todays review-sites is that people reviewing a genre they don't actually like. I think if The Order was reviewed only by people who enjoy linear, graphic heavy games with a thick atmosphere and style with an more adequate story attached to it, lets call them "cinematic experiences", it would have fared much better. I know someone, who hates games that have their viewpoint "from above". I think it's a bit moronic but he doesn't even try a game like Helldivers. Just imagine he would have to review Helldivers. Not playing it or even giving it a chance of this mindset or hearsay... missing out bigtime in my book, but hey, opinions. They are like butts. Everyone has one but some of them stink.

#supportindies

BAMozzy

The Order is nothing like the Resident Evil for the next generation - most of those 'issues' with RE were down to the capabilities of the hardware of the time and why it was one of the better looking games of that era. It had to put fixed camera angles as the hardware wasn't capable of keeping the graphical fidelity in whilst moving. In its time it was at the forefront of gaming. The Orders gameplay is so dated its a joke. At best it is a graphical showcase - Its like the developers concentrated on the visuals and forgot to put a 'game' in it.
I have no issue with Linear games either - Just look at Max Payne 3 and yet they also managed to add playability, replayabilty, style and substance as well as an innovative MP with its use of Bullet time. That Story was very linear but didn't rely on QTE's. I much prefer a variety of games and genres myself too. I also think linear games often have a much better and focussed story but most linear games don't forget they are 'games' too.
The issues Angry Joe mentions are no different to the majority of other peoples reviews. He doesn't say anything that many other reviewers haven't said and incidentally he does play and enjoy Helldivers!
The reason I posted is that you seem to think that people don't appreciate the graphical polish of the Order but like I said that equates to a very small part of a 'game'. I would rather play something that maybe not as good visually but offers more in terms of actual gaming and preferably more options too although that's not always important. Wolfenstein: TNO was a single player only game - It looked good (obviously not as good as the Order) and had good game play mechanics too. It offered replayability too.
For me, the most disappointing aspect is that the Order has a great setting and potential to have been a great 'game' - not cinematic experience! How much better would it have been if they had put a game to go with that. Do you think that Uncharted 4 doesn't look incredible (from what we have seen)? That no doubt will be a linear game too but also remember its a game as well.
I understand you like it and respect your opinion but to say that people don't appreciate 'visuals' and 'Production values' because they don't like the Order is unfair. I, like Angry Joe and probably every reviewer has said, the Order is the best looking title on any console currently - so that shows they acknowledged the visual presentation but a 'game' is MUCH more than that.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Victor_Meldrew

I barely recall Max Payne 3 other than it was a lot of fun. The Order wasn't much fun at all. The shoot out where the bad dudes keep coming out of buildings in whitechapel despite consistently getting ploughed down for ten minutes, well, that was atrocious.

Victor_Meldrew

BAMozzy

Bad-MuthaAdebisi wrote:

I barely recall Max Payne 3 other than it was a lot of fun. The Order wasn't much fun at all. The shoot out where the bad dudes keep coming out of buildings in whitechapel despite consistently getting ploughed down for ten minutes, well, that was atrocious.

I really enjoyed it. It was a very linear game and also a 3rd person cover shooter mechanic. It had a good story, great production values, a lot of action and of course the Bullet Time was also great fun. It was also a very good looking game for its time and had a very cinematic art style. It didn't stop it being light on action either. It also had good MP that also had the Bullet Time mechanic and worked very well too. Its a great example of a Linear 3rd person game (available to all - unlike Gears of War) and one I very highly recommend.

rastamadeus

Scollurio wrote:

The French singer? If so I just Googled her and I think I'm going to have to leave my girlfriend now as sweet Jesus I am in love!

Scollurio

rastamadeus wrote:

Scollurio wrote:

The French singer? If so I just Googled her and I think I'm going to have to leave my girlfriend now as sweet Jesus I am in love!

Yep. Judging your reaction you googled the right one...
I feel happy to agree on something with you a 100%, Sir!
doing weird high five gesture

#supportindies

rastamadeus

Scollurio wrote:

rastamadeus wrote:

Scollurio wrote:

Yep. Judging your reaction you googled the right one...
I feel happy to agree on something with you a 100%, Sir!
doing weird high five gesture

I was debating making a really awful comment about having to wash my hands first but that would just be horrible for everyone.

Can't have us agreeing now... I feel like I should write 'The Order is poo!' or something...

Edited on by rastamadeus

Scollurio

@rastamadeus I'm sure the next "controversy" is just around the corner, until then, I'll just hold the thought of that butt-topic. Now so the officials don't shut us down, something relevant to the OT:

The Order is awesome. If you're like me. It's not, if you're like rastamadeus.
Still on topic!

#supportindies

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.