Forums

Topic: The Order: 1886 | OT

Posts 61 to 80 of 92

rastamadeus

Just about to sit down and start the game. Should be back on by 3pm with the game finished...

Nah, going in with an open mind (yes it looks awful but I thought that about Red Dead Redemption and fell in love) so here's hoping I enjoy it.

"Oh smeg. What the smegging smegs he smegging done? He's smegging killed me."

PSN: Rastamadeus | Twitter:

Sanquine

I loved the game ! The atmosphere and sir galahad! i didn't like the massive plotholes ... and i wonder why the game got so much better at the ending. In the beginning it felt to slow and in the end it's getting awesome and then BAM ending..

PSNid= Sanquine90

PSN: Sanquine90

rastamadeus

Nine levels in now, which is about 3/4 of the game. While I was playing it I was enjoying it more than I thought despite noticing several problems (beautiful visuals but everything looks the same, why is London empty, why do these beautiful people all move so pathetically unrealistically, awful script, story is as predictable as Arsenal collapsing as they are at the moment, why can the water cure someone who's dead but not another) but the thing is that since I came off it around two hours ago to just have some dinner I am really struggling to force myself to go on it again. It's like a song you hear and you think is amazing but then the more you play it the more you realise it really isn't much cop. As it stands I'd say the only people who should buy this game are Trophy whores as they are stupidly easy.

Scollurio

rastamadeus wrote:

Nine levels in now, which is about 3/4 of the game...

Rastamadeus it's really weird how the perception of a game can differ from person to person...

As I see it...
Everything looks the same is because it's architecture, a certain style of the era, gameplay wise you DO visit vastly different environments in the game but of course you're not going to end up in south africa! London isn't empty... there are plenty of people going on about their stuff, there are coaches riding down the streets, people fleeing of certain actions I don't know what you mean really. Yes some people, especially those that run or move in a quick fashion look a bit awkward, true that. I guess "awful script" depends on your tastes, it's nowhere better or worse than your average Penny Dreadful or other mystery/thriller show on the TV. Yes the story is predictable (so are most unfortunately) and the Blackwater can only cure injuries, not death. If your dead, you're paste. As long as your heart is beating though, there's a chance it will cure your injuries!

Also I don't like to be called a whore for my habit of trying to get the Platinum of a game I enjoyed...

If you can struggle yourself to the completion of the game, let me know your final verdict of it, I'd be interested.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Scollurio

Bad-MuthaAdebisi wrote:

Never have I seen the statistic that 4.2% listed as Ultra Rare, its usually something like less than 1%

Yep that caught my attention too! Weird.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

rastamadeus

Scollurio wrote:

Also I don't like to be called a whore for my habit of trying to get the Platinum of a game I enjoyed...

I'm a Trophy Whore myself so there was no offence meant in the usage of the words. Although you hardly had to try to get the Platinum, did you? Haha.

I finished it last night and have to stick with what I said earlier. It was better than I thought but it's still not even close to average in any way shape or form. A more talented developer could have made this game brilliant as there is a great game in there somewhere. You can tell people who used to work for Naughty Dog made this game as it just screams Last Of Us to me, a terribly bland and boring game with a good game screaming to get out of it. Where Last Of Us had a genuinely brilliant story though this just pish. If you turned in such a cliché-riddled story in high school you'd be laughed at. Too many people in video games think they can write stories (hello David Cage) just because they have a decent idea for one. The people who made the graphics should jump ship over to ILM where they could go to monumental success.

Oh, and as for the water, someone (don't wanna say who, spoilers) is killed early on yet comes back to life. There were too many moments like this where things didn't make sense. The girl just changes face completely and a sex-obsessed French man? Mon dieu, ce qui est nouveau. The 'reveal' of more creatures roaming London towards the very end was underwhelming as they were never used from thereon in bar once. The whole game felt like a hack attempt at Underworld.

The thing is, as undemanding, unrewarding and uninteresting as it is The Order works exactly as intended. Whoever runs Ready At Dawn is an absolute genius to get so much money from Sony then let his workers spend it on making something so boring. It's better than I thought, but that isn't saying much. When the first trailer came out it was what made me think 'PS4 could be worth getting at the start' as it looked stunning. Problem was as that trailer went on, the werewolves arrived and it became apparent (even then on day one reveal) that it was going to just be flashy graphics with nothing to it that the game was always on course for a battering. As I said, better developers could have made this magnificent but it's just... meh. Like Ryse, which is terrible. If this had come out day one it could have been justified as a show of what PS4 could do graphically, but nearly a year and a half in? No.

If you're a Trophy whore it's a must have as it's pathetically easy, gives you loads of silvers and more than an average ammount of golds. If you're not though it's very, very difficult to justify spending more than a tenner (being generous) on it. The copy I got on Tuesday the guy at Game told me was brought in to trade by someone who'd already bought it pre-owned - the game came out just five days before I got it. Tells you everything.

Edited on by rastamadeus

shuval4

#goingforplatnium I'm a gamer of 26 years, a husband father and business owner and I wake up early every morning to clock 49 plus hours a week. I waited for this game for a year and the reviews are bogus. I'm on chapter 13 and if you like great story telling, 3rd person cover shooting with snappy and responsive combat the Order is a game for you. I love this game the timeframe the plot the voice acting and of course it set a new standards bar for graphics in my opinion. Don't listen to the reviews give it a shot and if 3rd person action with a deep story is your thing you will not be dissapointed. I could care less about hearing 12 year old kids curse out each other's mom on multiplayer, I'm in it for the stories and this one delivers on the story to me 100 percent

shuval4

Scollurio

rastamadeus wrote:

Scollurio wrote:

I'm a Trophy Whore myself so there was no offence meant in the usage of the words. Although you hardly had to try to get the Platinum, did you? Haha.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, even though we differ quite a bit how we like The Order I always enjoy seeing things from the other side as well. What I think is a bit sad is, that it seems worth absolutely no money to most customers - considering your statements you included (no offense) - to have a highly polished game. I mean if you measure value of a game purely in gameplay time - which is a valid attempt - games that are simple yet fun like "Broforce" for example (which is an Indie - god help us) should be charging 80 €, Dragon Age would be 100 € easily measured on playtime. But no one thinks about all the work that went into creating a polished world and exceptional graphics, all the artists involved. Of course - and I give you that - it won't matter a poop if you generally don't like the end product.

It's really interesting how people's opinions can be so different. I'd easily give The Order an 8 out of 10, bordering on 9. Also I hated Hard Rain (you're so right about Cage) and Beyond Two Souls. And yeah I hate Anime. Also something many people can't understand. But I guess that's how it is!

#supportindies

rastamadeus

Scollurio wrote:

Thank you for sharing your opinion, even though we differ quite a bit how we like The Order I always enjoy seeing things from the other side as well.

That's the key point. If it were you calling me all the names in the sun for thinking it's below average and then me retorting the same insults for you liking it it's childish and pathetic. I know full well games that have got a massive kicking I've enjoyed and massively praised games I've found terrible. End of the day it's just opinions and I'm happy to say "this is crap/great" as long as I can explain why. I won't just say it for effect.

Cost-wise I can see where you're coming from but it's not what I'm on about. One of my favourite ever games is Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube. You can do that game in half the time you can The Order but I regularly return to it as it's an absolute blast to play plus is charming and funny. A game can be a few hours or 100s, it isn't important. What is important is the fun you have with it. For the seven and a bit hours I played The Order there was only one bit I enjoyed, the level were Galahad loses it and goes on a bit of a meltdown as you defend your HQ. It was the one occasion where the game let you go all hell for leather at people and you felt like you were in control, not being forced to do this or that. Then you get the rocket launcher and you're back in 'do as you're told' mode and all illusion was gone.

Heavy Rain I enjoyed to be fair, apart from the incredibly poorly realised sex scene which was only included to show Cage 'gets' seriousness. Beyond was just a mess. When his next game arrives I really hope he's got in someone to write with him and direct the whole thing for him as he is holding that company back from creating something really terrific.

Edited on by rastamadeus

rastamadeus

get2sammyb wrote:

I wouldn't say The Order has an awful script myself. The story falls apart in the last few chapters for sure, but I quite like the way they build up the characters initially.

I just felt it predictable and characters, as they often do in games, say things that just wouldn't be said. "Oh, hello..." when you walk in on a woman (putting this politely) sitting on a guys lap. The clichés too are just too easy (Frenchman obsessed with sex is very original). As I said, if you handed that in at GCSE you'd be lucky to get a D.

Victor_Meldrew

I think the script is OK but the story is just a mess, I'm guessing whichever persons contributed to the convoluted tripe had certain parameters and then also had it hacked to pieces and put back together by the enforced editing. A couple of hours less and something that made sense and was a worthwhile story would have been appreciated.

Victor_Meldrew

rastamadeus

Bad-MuthaAdebisi wrote:

I think the script is OK but the story is just a mess, I'm guessing whichever persons contributed to the convoluted tripe had certain parameters and then also had it hacked to pieces and put back together by the enforced editing. A couple of hours less and something that made sense and was a worthwhile story would have been appreciated.

True dat. Like the game itself there's something really good buried in there, just needed more talented people to bring it out.

EDIT: A week after I finished The Order: 1886 I bought Magus for PS3. I'd heard it's one of the worst games ever made so was intrigued to see if it was. I enjoyed it much more than Ready At Dawn's game. Yes, the PS4 title is prettier, sounds better, designed better and everything else but Magus, as terribly made as it is, I found infinitely more entertaining.

Edited on by rastamadeus

Scollurio

It looks like there's a graphic novel/comic coming our way set in The Order 1886 universe. I know most of you guys hate the game but I'm completely in love with it, so this is GOOD news!!

http://www.amazon.de/The-Order-1886-Titan-Comics/dp/1782761799

#supportindies

Bread-Not-Toast

Completed the game recently hated how it ended, so many unanswered questions.
80% Trophies unlocked, just need to get the inspect item trophies.

PSN- Crossword-Man
3DS Friend Code- 3067-6402-2163
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKk-kKUlvYeZSW2XbVrsqQ
Latest Review: Star Wars Battlefront Beta
Please add me as I need more friends.

PSN: Crossword-Man

Scollurio

Not-Another-Ad wrote:

Many people hate it. I liked it. It's called worldbuilding. It's clearly planned as having a sequel, I prefer a cliffhanger ending and having a sequel to having a game that's finished in itself and then having a Sequel shoehorned into the story just because of profit.

#supportindies

rastamadeus

Scollurio wrote:

Not-Another-Ad wrote:

Many people hate it. I liked it. It's called worldbuilding. It's clearly planned as having a sequel, I prefer a cliffhanger ending and having a sequel to having a game that's finished in itself and then having a Sequel shoehorned into the story just because of profit.

There won't be a sequel. If Sony are somehow conned into giving more money to this IP then at least give it to another development team as Ready At Dawn aren't up to making a game. Let them do the cinematics. The comic you said they're doing though - that is a good idea.

Scollurio

I sincerly hope they continue the franchise despite the public reception.

#supportindies

Sanquine

Scollurio wrote:

Same here

PSNid= Sanquine90

PSN: Sanquine90

rastamadeus

Scollurio wrote:

Sanquine wrote:

Same here

You two better get a Kickstarter going pronto.

Take it away from Ready At Dawn, or just let them assist, and you could have a great game. There's tonnes of ideas in there, it's just that team are nowhere near good enough to make them become more than ideas. As I've said before, despite really not liking it there is a cracking game in there screaming to get out.

Edited on by rastamadeus

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.